Russell Wilson Longevity/Durability

kearly

Reaction score
Fox0r":3akr7dtk said:
I do worry about Russell's ability once his scrambling legs wear down and he isn't as fast. Can he be as effective as a pocket passer?

His stats inside the pocket are better than his stats outside of it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
If JS and PC had no designs on RW scrambling, they would have went after OL help then drafted Cousins or Foles. I sincerely doubt they drafted RW, as good as he can be in the pocket, as a pure pocket passer. The league continues to evolve and designed runs by QBs are part of the evolution. We can't complain that Bevell has "held him back" then get paranoid at the thought of him running. There is the chance he will get hurt (Jon Ryan could get hurt) and that again is why I think it's huge we have Flynn at the ready.

One poster stated he is concerned by the fact Wilson, as of late, has put forth more effort than usual in going after 1st downs....increasing his chance of injury. It's that time of year, bro. With seeding and the play-offs at risk, risks need be taken. It's what seperates the haves from the have nots.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":3c3tpjeq said:
Fox0r":3c3tpjeq said:
I do worry about Russell's ability once his scrambling legs wear down and he isn't as fast. Can he be as effective as a pocket passer?

I can't argue this, but his stats outside the pocket are the best in the league.

themunn

Reaction score
If he gets hit making a run 3-4 times a game that'll do nothing.
How many times does Lynch get hit?

JKent82

Reaction score
HawkWow":368076t6 said:
kearly":368076t6 said:
Fox0r":368076t6 said:

I can't argue this, but his stats outside the pocket are the best in the league.

Which would make his stats in the pocket the best in the league... wait a second! This is a serious conundrum.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I haven't seen Wilson run through dudes into the grinder like Griffin did when his knee got bent around. I was watching the game against the Ravens when it happened; Griffin was running past Paul Kruger right at Haloti Ngata, and he didn't slide. He fell over awkwardly and his leg bent around Ngata as he was crushed by the 330 lb man-child. If Griffin keeps running like that he's going to get destroyed.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JKent82") I can't argue this said:
Which would make his stats in the pocket the best in the league... wait a second! This is a serious conundrum.
=========================================================
In another thread, I posted his numbers when throwing out of the pocket. I can't recall the thread but I got the stat-line from ESPN's website. If I recall, they also reported those numbers were the best posted over the past two seasons.

Rainger

Reaction score
This is not an issue. RW is the smartest QB I have ever witnessed. He will take less damage than the traditional pocket passers who (if they are good) hold to the last sec and then take a big hit.

He is not an open field runner. (like BG3, Vick and the guy from carolina). He runs till he can and then gets down. His blocking down field has been perfect only talking on some one who cant hurt him.

This man is sooo smart and I think the whole game slows down for him so he can see things that no one else can. That is what made Wayne Gretzky great, the game slowed down and he could weave magic.

Yes there is always the shit that can happen. I still to this day hurt, the day Crurt Warner went down for us in only the second season.

But I think RW is one of the smartest, smoothest QBs I have seen in 30 years. I dont think, unless Karrma wishes to punish us, that RW will have the problems so many other qb's will.

HansGruber

Reaction score
rainger":2obrbqi5 said:
This is not an issue. RW is the smartest QB I have ever witnessed. He will take less damage than the traditional pocket passers who (if they are good) hold to the last sec and then take a big hit.

He is not an open field runner. (like BG3, Vick and the guy from carolina). He runs till he can and then gets down. His blocking down field has been perfect only talking on some one who cant hurt him.

This man is sooo smart and I think the whole game slows down for him so he can see things that no one else can. That is what made Wayne Gretzky great, the game slowed down and he could weave magic.

Yes there is always the shit that can happen. I still to this day hurt, the day Crurt Warner went down for us in only the second season.

But I think RW is one of the smartest, smoothest QBs I have seen in 30 years. I dont think, unless Karrma wishes to punish us, that RW will have the problems so many other qb's will.

Truth.

Russell Wilson is a smart QB. He gets out of bounds or slides when necessary, and doesn't take unnecessary risks.

Wilson only runs to pick up the first down, or whatever yards he can get safely. Or he gets a DB to bite on the run and drop their coverage, and then fires it to the newly open receiver.

In fact, one of the biggest reasons I'm so stoked about Wilson is that I think he'll be healthy for a long time because he runs to stay safe, rather than running to try to make big plays (i.e. Griffin, Vick, Cunningham, etc).

Poor play from our O-line got Hasselbeck injured because he wasn't mobile enough to escape anymore. Wilson seems to thrive when the pocket breaks down. Really, the big plays are just kind of a bonus icing on the cake. The cake is that he'll be around for a while because nobody can ever get their hands on him to hurt him.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
When Russell scrambles he always seems to have the idea of getting done on his mind as I have rarely seen him take a huge hit. I think he will be fine for us for a long time.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
themunn":2ewvf0y1 said:
If he gets hit making a run 3-4 times a game that'll do nothing.
How many times does Lynch get hit?

No one is making the claim that lynch will be around for a decade and a half. Lynch's skillset also doesn't include fine motor skill use to the level Of RW's.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Let's just say that Russell Wilson certainly doesn't owe his O-line any steak dinners this off-season. We need considerable improvement in pass pro.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":yxa80km4 said:
Let's just say that Russell Wilson certainly doesn't owe his O-line any steak dinners this off-season. We need considerable improvement in pass pro.

That's for sure, I want to see us improve in pass pro to the point were RW can make teams pay for for blitzing without having to run from sideline to sideline two or three times first. Another set of reiiable hands that can get open consistently will also help him tons. I've seen quite a few instances in the last couple of games where the WRs had plenty of time to get open and still couldn't. Ideally we get a big, fast Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald type of WR for the deep stuff and keep Baldwin in the slot. A more competent TE to replace McCoy for throwing quick strikes to would help as well.

Definitely the OL should be #1 priority though. The whole league now knows full-well how bad RW can hurt them, so there will be those in the mix trying to literally 'hurt' him. The Rams were doing their best. Saw one of their guys throw him to the turf. When certain players get their hands on him, they won't waste the opportunity, fine or not. So glad he's got weels, a feel for the pocket and smarts, coz his bodyguards fall bit short too often.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
Its so cool to be having this conversation in January. In years past, this was a major topic in September and October! :0190l: Our QBs have been getting clobbered so much over past seasons it got a bit disheartening.

I don't like seeing my QB get hit but its part of the game man. Russ just has to endure for another month...

hawker84

Reaction score
ya i don't see where he's taking a bunch of hits, maybe last couple games... and besides.. it's not like he's made of glass like RG3 and Vick, he's a stout boy at 5'10" what is he 220 or somewhere around there... he can take a hit or two..

redhawk253

Reaction score
run and shoot":1qadbu6a said:
RW is not a scrambling QB like Vick or RGIII, he has the uncanny ability to make people miss not the break away speed of either of the other two. His vision and awareness coupled with the ability to be elusive is what makes him dangerous to defenders, and the fact he never stops looking down field to get rid of the ball whenever possible. RW doesn't have brake away speed to lose. RGIII doesn't make people miss he just flat out runs them, take away his speed and your left with a pocket passer, he is too tall and lanky to be elusive.

at the combine rw's official 40 time was a 4.5somethin.. his low was 4.48 and his high was 4.65.. i'd say he has that break away speed especially seeing what we've seen now.. there are certain players who can run fast when lined up in track shoes n shorts but that speed doesn't translate to the field when they get pads on.. rw seems to be the other kind that is not affected by the pads and it actually makes him faster than a lot of these track stars.

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
run and shoot":374qubly said:
RW is not a scrambling QB like Vick or RGIII, he has the uncanny ability to make people miss not the break away speed of either of the other two. His vision and awareness coupled with the ability to be elusive is what makes him dangerous to defenders, and the fact he never stops looking down field to get rid of the ball whenever possible. RW doesn't have brake away speed to lose. RGIII doesn't make people miss he just flat out runs them, take away his speed and your left with a pocket passer, he is too tall and lanky to be elusive.

i do Agree that RGIII has better straight ahead speed than he is has quickness, but watch this play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLv0hS5n5X0 and tell me he is not elusive . . . and while the offense Washington runs does have RGIII running more than Wilson, RGIII is a pass first QB on most plays . . . i just hope he continues to get better and sliding and getting out of bounds or his career will be a short one . . .

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2zmjil23 said:

While the O-line isn't going to give Wilson 18 seconds to throw the ball, he's only been sacked 33 times this season (and it was 27 before the Ram fest). So, that's on average, less than 2 sacks a game.

You want atrocious, Aaron Rodgers has bitten the turf 51 times this year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SkinsGuru":yvlfhjs1 said:
i do Agree that RGIII has better straight ahead speed than he is has quickness, but watch this play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLv0hS5n5X0 and tell me he is not elusive . . . and while the offense Washington runs does have RGIII running more than Wilson, RGIII is a pass first QB on most plays . . . i just hope he continues to get better and sliding and getting out of bounds or his career will be a short one . . .

Russell Wilson has 4 of the top 5 longest scrambles behind the line of scrimmage this year in the entire NFL, including the top two. Just something to keep in mind. As it stands right now, nobody is as elusive as DangeRuss.

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1setc9lz said:
SkinsGuru":1setc9lz said:

Russell Wilson has 4 of the top 5 longest scrambles behind the line of scrimmage this year in the entire NFL, including the top two. Just something to keep in mind. As it stands right now, nobody is as elusive as DangeRuss.

i never said russell wilson wasn't elusive, just that RGIII is as well . . . just like the fact that RGIII is faster, russell wilson is fast too . . . more than one person can be a good, fast, elusive, strong armed, smart, accurate qb . . . as skins and hawks fans we share that in common . . . enjoy it