Thought Experiment

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
So, this idea popped in my head in the 'Was this Pete's Last Game?' thread and just thought I'd take it to a new level.

So, it's the end of the 2021 season. We just ended 7-10 and it seems all the fandom has broken down into 'Pete vs. Russ' camps. But in this world, Seahawks ownership doesn't pick Pete: It decides it's time to start over. Pete is gone, Russ is gone, Bobby is gone.

We decide to hire Sean Desai from the Chicago Bears based on their top 10 (at least by yards) defensive performance and give a young guy a chance. You know, we need a change. Desai begins implementing a Fangio style defense.

We land Drew Lock from Denver in the Russ trade, but Desai wants to bring Nick Foles in from Chicago. After a little bit of a QB controversy in preseason, Desai comes out and declares that Foles is going to be our starting QB.

All the media analysis is pretty uniform in its assessment of the Seahawks: Minus our former franchise QB, a new HC implementing a new defensive scheme, and starting a career backup? 5 games is our ceiling for wins.

But hold on! Nick Foles leads a resurgent Seahawks offense, no longer following the traditional Pete-ball style they used to run with Russ at the helm. The defense is up and down but at the end of the year, Seahawks manage to make the playoffs.

Second season the team gets hit with the injury bug, and unfortunately the offensive line gets hit hard. Our defense performs well the first half of the year but takes a nosedive in the second half. Foles performs admirably though, even with the OL issues, and the team is still in contention for the playoffs all the way up until week 18. Unfortunately, Sean's former team can't get the job done against Green Bay but they end with a win and another winning season for the second straight season of Sean's tenure.

So, be honest here (if you can): If this wasn't a thought experiment but what actually happened, are you sitting here saying we need to fire our new head coach?

The point of this thought experiment isn't to say we should or shouldn't move on from Pete Carroll. I'm honestly not sure what I think.

That said, I feel like a lot of the commentary on it that we see here amounts to 'Pete Carroll is Pete Carroll, but a new coach could be anything! He could even be Pete Carroll!'

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Hmm....the "grass is greener" paradox..

You may be describing the ceiling. It would likely be a worse outcome.