Russell Wilson to stay in Seattle per Jarrett Payton!

TraderGary

Reaction score
Well if this true, I'll be happy to eat crow on my huge "swing-and-a-miss" prediction that he's gone this year.

But I have to wonder, even if he stays, are things going to be harmonious between Russ and Pete, or Russ and every other player in the locker room? Because if there's a philosophical difference or division between Russ and Pete, or some bad blood between Russ and the other players, particularly the OL, I'm not sure we can expect a very successful season in 2021. You need chemistry and cohesion on a football team with everyone buying in and working together toward a common goal to be successful, and I question if that is even possible at this point.

Is this a concern for anyone else or am I overthinking it?

John63

Reaction score
TraderGary":1plhy8uo said:
Well if this true, I'll be happy to eat crow on my huge "swing-and-a-miss" prediction that he's gone this year.

But I have to wonder, even if he stays, are things going to be harmonious between Russ and Pete, or Russ and every other player in the locker room? Because if there's a philosophical difference or division between Russ and Pete, or some bad blood between Russ and the other players, particularly the OL, I'm not sure we can expect a very successful season in 2021. You need chemistry and cohesion on a football team with everyone buying in and working together toward a common goal to be successful, and I question if that is even possible at this point.

Is this a concern for anyone else or am I overthinking it?

I would say over thinking as 1 if he is to stay they will have come to an accord of some time at least for this year. As to the players I have not heard any current player say anything bad about this. in fact several have supported Wilson. So I doubt this will be tough. Also winning solves everything.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
gowazzu02":35vqsggb said:
Elemas":35vqsggb said:
Maybe the oline could be better.

Sometimes it was their fault. A lot of times it was Russ holding onto the ball too long, not throwing or seeing the wide open underneath or check down. Him doing his back spin right into blocked guys. etc.

This is crap. There was a post about how he is right on par with most qbs getting the ball out. Yes he missed some recievers. That would be his fault. I would probably say he missed maybe two or three a game open. Rest of the time they arent open or he has to avoid pressure. I guess you would like it if he just threw the ball away everytime? Cool then will have 3 and outs like crazy. Get over it. Oline has always been an issue. Russ moving around quantifies it yes, but is nowhere near the magnitude you speak of. He wouldn't move at all if he wasnt being pressured. Find a new scapegoat hater.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":1o77f39h said:
gowazzu02":1o77f39h said:
Elemas":1o77f39h said:

Sometimes it was their fault. A lot of times it was Russ holding onto the ball too long, not throwing or seeing the wide open underneath or check down. Him doing his back spin right into blocked guys. etc.

well not alot as only 25% of the sacks were attributed to Wilson and even without them he was top 5 there is still a problem and that does not count the number of sacks that don't happen because of him. Given every QB under PC has been amongst the tops in sacks I still think it is a scheme issue
You do realize that 25% is just from holding the ball too long right?
it doesn't factor in the fact he COULD have gotten rid of it in face of
the rush by the highlighted above...I'm also going to say again his
height only allows him to use parts of the field..This leads to easy sacks
as he gets slower and cannot do his escape magic anymore to wing
a pass off.
So not using check down,underneath or out passes and height
have to account for at least 25% more

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
IndyHawk":he71mmg6 said:
John63":he71mmg6 said:
gowazzu02":he71mmg6 said:
Elemas":he71mmg6 said:

well not alot as only 25% of the sacks were attributed to Wilson and even without them he was top 5 there is still a problem and that does not count the number of sacks that don't happen because of him. Given every QB under PC has been amongst the tops in sacks I still think it is a scheme issue
height only allows him to use parts of the field..This leads to easy sacksi
a pass off.

Wrong. Russ is not responsible for 50 percent and if he was 50 percent the hawks would still be blocking at 50 percent which is still more sacks then nfl got on mahomes or brady. Stop making excuses. Stop hating. Your reasons are excuses. Not fact. Before russ was here the oline still sucked at pass blocking.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1rbmivao said:
John63":1rbmivao said:
gowazzu02":1rbmivao said:
Elemas":1rbmivao said:

a pass off.

No they said 25% were sacks they could be attributed to him in any way. Including not taking check downs.

toffee

Reaction score
Tusc2000":25drx1gh said:
Sgt. Largent":25drx1gh said:
I said two weeks ago I gave this happening less than a 5% chance.

Russell might want out, but he picked a bad year to ask for it. Cap strapped teams + 39M dead cap hit + 3 years left on his deal = you aren't going anywhere this year homey.

I don't think Russ really wants out. I think he just wants better pass protection.
Like that charging Tiger really didn't wanna eat you, just want a few wet kisses with you.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

rcaido

Reaction score
The way Wilson carries himself and being religious do you guys really think he would have any grudges towards Pete and the front office. Again it's just media blowing all this up. Seahawks will never trade Wilson. He will be a Seahawk until he chooses not to resign. He will be Seahawk for life and you haters are just going have to deal with it.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":1dhp6x9e said:
Wilson isn't happy. He went public with some grievances. Not that big in and of themselves, but there's been a drip, drip of how unhappy he is since then. And these drips have not been about protecting better rather that he's stifled and that the coaching is incapable of delivering "greatness".

He may have a point. Regardless, if he's not traded the situation is likely to remain unresolved. The only thing that could do that would be an extension, which would only happen if Seattle is caving to Wilson's demands (better protection + he calls the offense).

I will differ with those that think keeping an unhappy Wilson is better than not. After every game "Did you think you were allowed to throw enough Russ?" "Did you run the ball too much Pete?" In the locker room "did we block well enough for you, even though you were sacked 3 times for holding the ball 4+ seconds?"

Of course we can't give him away, we need a good haul. If a team Wilson approves is willing to do that I would rather turn the page. I do not see an unhappy Wilson in Seattle winning a Super Bowl and that is my singular goal each and every season. He won't mail it in, but such tensions are a visible drag on the team (see Rodgers and the Packers).
He mailed it in the 2nd half of the season. You could see it all over his face. He was in full on disinterested pout mode. He looked exactly like he did in the Super Bowl sky box shot of him in every close up camera shot during the latter half of the season.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
rcaido":vc8pgt3t said:
The way Wilson carries himself and being religious do you guys really think he would have any grudges towards Pete and the front office. Again it's just media blowing all this up. Seahawks will never trade Wilson. He will be a Seahawk until he chooses not to resign. He will be Seahawk for life and you haters are just going have to deal with it.
So just because he is religious he can't be spiteful, greedy, or pissed off? People hide behind religion all the time...

chris98251

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2jxo0o8e said:
GaiusMarius":2jxo0o8e said:
Wilson isn't happy. He went public with some grievances. Not that big in and of themselves, but there's been a drip, drip of how unhappy he is since then. And these drips have not been about protecting better rather that he's stifled and that the coaching is incapable of delivering "greatness".

He may have a point. Regardless, if he's not traded the situation is likely to remain unresolved. The only thing that could do that would be an extension, which would only happen if Seattle is caving to Wilson's demands (better protection + he calls the offense).

I will differ with those that think keeping an unhappy Wilson is better than not. After every game "Did you think you were allowed to throw enough Russ?" "Did you run the ball too much Pete?" In the locker room "did we block well enough for you, even though you were sacked 3 times for holding the ball 4+ seconds?"

Of course we can't give him away, we need a good haul. If a team Wilson approves is willing to do that I would rather turn the page. I do not see an unhappy Wilson in Seattle winning a Super Bowl and that is my singular goal each and every season. He won't mail it in, but such tensions are a visible drag on the team (see Rodgers and the Packers).
He mailed it in the 2nd half of the season. You could see it all over his face. He was in full on disinterested pout mode. He looked exactly like he did in the Super Bowl sky box shot of him in every close up camera shot during the latter half of the season.

I don't think he mailed it in, I really think he got his spirit broken, he was on the all in bandwagon, he thought he was more inclusive to how things were going to go on offense, he injected his input about the offense and basically told, you are just a player, we run the show do what we want.

He took the rest of the season doing just what they wanted, he didn't show the energy, the everything is possible if you just believe enough and work hard enough.

Like before he was given an obstacle, like before when he was in North Carolina he decided to take action, he made his comments, he then has set his mind that I may have to move on to achieve my goals, the Seahawks don't believe in me.

That has to be a players perspective, knowing he is better then the mold they are trying to fit him into. Or he doesn't have the support to be successful in the roll they ask him to play.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2w78lg8b said:
I don't think Russ really wants out. I think he just wants better pass protection.
That's 100% possible but I see three drawbacks to that theory. First, the timing is weird considering how much better the OL was for most of this season coupled with Russ's own comments that he thought they were rolling until they picked up injuries. Second, making this public doesn't actually put pressure on this Seahawks FO and just stirs up the pot. And third, two of his four "trade" teams were a worse OL in Chicago and then reuniting with Cable again in NV.

The Athletic article claimed that this is coming from people in his camp along with CAA for PR purposes. I think that explains both the timing, why it became so public, why it keeps getting fed as a story by those in his camp, and why he wouldn't mind going to a situation with an equal or worse OL since that isn't really his primary motivation.

rcaido

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1r8ocm3i said:
rcaido":1r8ocm3i said:
So just because he is religious he can't be spiteful, greedy, or pissed off? People hide behind religion all the time...

There are tons of terrible religious people but im just going by the way Wilson has carried himself throughout his career here in and out the field.

Do you think he is fake?

pinksheets

Reaction score
rcaido":2gwmmuz0 said:
Cyrus12":2gwmmuz0 said:
rcaido":2gwmmuz0 said:

Do you think he is fake?
Yes.

His whole schtick is cheesy and inauthentic.

This also seems to be part of why so many former players, like Doug, can't stand him.

SeahawksEast

Reaction score
Has there been any formal analysis as to why Wilson takes the hits and sacks that he does? It is hard to judge without seeing the all-22, but my opinion has been that generally he holds onto the ball too long. Furthermore, my feeling was that it was due to long developing “home run” plays and hero ball. There are of course many plays where the defense simply wins and that happens to every team and is just how the game works. I’ve often wondered how he’d fare in a west coast style offense where he always has a quick dump off plus a quick, short route or two. Is it the offensive game plan, the QB, or the O-line. I get that you cannot pin a simple answer to any one, but again, if I were to rank order breakdowns, it feels like attribution of “blame” goes in this order (at least last year when the O line was better): 1) offensive system / game plan, 2) QB holding onto the ball too long 3) O-line 4) Ideal defense called, D wins the play.

toffee

Reaction score
pinksheets":2rnbwr4j said:
rcaido":2rnbwr4j said:
Cyrus12":2rnbwr4j said:
rcaido":2rnbwr4j said:

Do you think he is fake?
Yes.

His whole schtick is cheesy and inauthentic.

This also seems to be part of why so many former players, like Doug, can't stand him.

I am of the opinion that he may not be fake, but he does come across as one, and yes his schtick is cheesy and inauthentic.

No doubt that Doug wasn't a fan of Russell Wilson.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I hope Russ plays good the whole season. His play will be under a huge microscope by everyone. And if he starts throwing his online under the bus things will get real ugly. He hasn’t taken any blame for anything that’s wrong with the offense. Not a good look for a so called leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":40f13dwu said:
I do not see an unhappy Wilson in Seattle winning a Super Bowl and that is my singular goal each and every season.

Do you see the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl with a happy Wilson? Russ isnt the problem.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3hwl0k5r said:
John63":3hwl0k5r said:
gowazzu02":3hwl0k5r said:
Elemas":3hwl0k5r said:

a pass off.
C'mon Indy, now you're just pulling numbers out the whazoo.
RANKING has the O-Line performances rated right near the bottom, ESPECIALLY in Pass Protection..Nice try though. :17:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkinNY":3946blz0 said:
I hope Russ plays good the whole season. His play will be under a huge microscope by everyone. And if he starts throwing his online under the bus things will get real ugly. He hasn’t taken any blame for anything that’s wrong with the offense. Not a good look for a so called leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Piss poor schemes, and an O-Line that is Coached up for a Run game, but need to be better @ Pass Blocking.
Ranking at the bottom year in & year out has taken it's toll, and Russ is at fault??? LOL okay.
Hopefully Waldron is given a little more freedom than was given to Schottenheimer to call the plays, but even if he is, the O-Line has to be more than just an afterthought.