Russell Wilson's Diet (article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The article stated that he was around 225 pounds. No wonder he was slow last season. Injuries were a factor but the gained weight didn't help. He looked like he gained that weight prior to the start of last season before he got injured. He was around 205-210 in his rookie and 2nd season. Hopefully he can get down to that weight again. Teams fearing and accounting for his running ability again, that will open up things for others - passing attack, Lacy/Rawls etc.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is not a big man and I will bet he is at max weight for his frame anyway athlete or not, ten to 15 pounds is a lot when you compound the quickness faster with more mass to react in a given moment and the type of weight as well, quick twitch muscles which people with elite quickness are trained to react and send those signals, more weight and the signals get there but the muscles take more time to react to what the nerves are sending because you have more mass to move. Collins had the same issue last year, didn't lose a lot of weight but redistributed it and trained up his strength and quickness came with less mass to move when he was making cuts.

You really want to see what weight can do to quickness look at point guards and Forwards in the NBA, when they mature sometimes the added weight makes them slow and unable to defend as well also. Then you see them moved to a off guard many times if they grow out of the position or a Power Forward.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's a great diet.. basically grain free.. or almost Palio.
I"ve done this and lost 50 pounds from 210 to less than 160.. high school weight, with minimum exercise.

The benefits are immeasurable to your body and it will go along way in making Wilson a healthier person for his entire life.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3taexwap said:
Rat":3taexwap said:
That's a lot of fruit for a diet intended to drop weight. Not sure how backed by science his opinions on dairy and gluten are either.

I guess that'd be the great part about working with high-end athletes on their diets, they work so much and work so hard, that pretty much anything you put them on will see results.

Fruit has a lot of natural sugar that the body can break down with a high metabolism. Most athletes have a high metabolism. Starches dont break down as easily. Oatmeal sticks to the body like glue holding him together so to speak.

Almost like eggs bacon and toast. Eggs are the slop, bacon is the energy, and toast is what combines them to allow the body to digest it all. Oatmeal is his combiner.

After a hard night, I used to do a lot of biscuits and gravy because it stuck to my stomach and I was able to run the extra calories out of my body by lunch time. Then a bit of lunch and work, then a workout for hour and a half and then back home for the next round. Sounds like he has a great regimen.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
There is not a Hawk fan on this earth who does not want to see Russell play quicker this season. It will be key to his success on the field. We'll know by the end of Training Camp what we have for a Front Line as well as a QB!.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Russ posted this on facebook yesterday. :laugh:
RussMacNCheese zpswwsgmmcs

lobohawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":whmln38u said:
The article stated that he was around 225 pounds. No wonder he was slow last season. Injuries were a factor but the gained weight didn't help. He looked like he gained that weight prior to the start of last season before he got injured. He was around 205-210 in his rookie and 2nd season. Hopefully he can get down to that weight again. Teams fearing and accounting for his running ability again, that will open up things for others - passing attack, Lacy/Rawls etc.

There was too small a sample size to judge his effectiveness before his injury. It was the first game after all. Much of his weight gain last season was attributed to his being unable to workout during the season. Time spent on recovery, not conditioning.

That said, he's decided to go for quickness versus mass this season and that's cool. Should be fun to watch.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I'm afraid if I went on a 4000+ calorie a day diet, I would end up making Eddie Lacey type food choices. Much like the Simpsons episode where Krusty was drinking real milkshakes instead of protein shakes

vin.couve12

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1sgxpkbk said:
vin.couve12":1sgxpkbk said:
As for bow important this is....it's big, IMO. When you go through an offseason to add weight or muscle there is normally a loss of flexibility and/or explosion.

RW was visibly slower last year pre-injury. Likely enough that he may not have been caught from behind and gone down like a sack of potatoes to get injured in the first place.

What are you talking about? Pre Injury? He was injured on the first drive of the third quarter of game one.!
Go back and lool at comments through the preseason and in the Radish thread of that game. Everyone saw ot and those that didn't are nucking futz.

You can't deny it when the damn player themself is admitting they're doing this to get quicker and stronger.

It's like a story about a friend of mine at a Rangers game with a friend where they were arguing about Emmitt Smith vs Walter Payton. Low and behold, Smith himself turns around and ends the argument saying Payton was better.

And dude just won't let it go....

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Bobblehead":16u1dliz said:
Seahawkfan80":16u1dliz said:
Rat":16u1dliz said:
That's a lot of fruit for a diet intended to drop weight. Not sure how backed by science his opinions on dairy and gluten are either.

I guess that'd be the great part about working with high-end athletes on their diets, they work so much and work so hard, that pretty much anything you put them on will see results.

Fruit has a lot of natural sugar that the body can break down with a high metabolism. Most athletes have a high metabolism. Starches dont break down as easily. Oatmeal sticks to the body like glue holding him together so to speak.

Almost like eggs bacon and toast. Eggs are the slop, bacon is the energy, and toast is what combines them to allow the body to digest it all. Oatmeal is his combiner.

After a hard night, I used to do a lot of biscuits and gravy because it stuck to my stomach and I was able to run the extra calories out of my body by lunch time. Then a bit of lunch and work, then a workout for hour and a half and then back home for the next round. Sounds like he has a great regimen.

What about a cocktail......FRUIT!
Tenor

semiahmoo

Reaction score
He was heavy and slow at Training Camp.

The last thing he should have been given the shaky O-Line.

We payed for it.

And yet we still made the playoffs and he fought through multiple injuries.

Now RW needs to come back stronger, leaner, quicker, and smarter.

I'm confident he'll manage most of that. It's the being a smarter QB I'm not so sure of.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think this will be Wilson's best year, for the record, which is insanely ridiculous to have to note for people who can't admit that grass is the color green/Wilson was heavy and less explosive last year.

Just so damn absurd...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Also, not that I want to jinx it, but Fant is one to keep an eye on this year. When you add a lot of muscle mass in the weight room, you aren't necessarily allowing for the stabalizer muscles to keep up with the main muscle group growth because you aren't exerting yourself in functional exercise. Ligament injuries then become more of a danger. I talked about this last year too.

It's not apples to apples with Fant and RW, but it'll be something to watch. Ideally, Fant gets down to 315 before camp via exercise. JMHO

kobebryant

Reaction score
vin.couve12":300pt70n said:
Also, not that I want to jinx it, but Fant is one to keep an eye on this year. When you add a lot of muscle mass in the weight room, you aren't necessarily allowing for the stabalizer muscles to keep up with the main muscle group growth because you aren't exerting yourself in functional exercise. Ligament injuries then become more of a danger. I talked about this last year too.

It's not apples to apples with Fant and RW, but it'll be something to watch. Ideally, Fant gets down to 315 before camp via exercise. JMHO

It's a very good point. And full kudos to Fant for putting that on and making it look like really good weight and not at all sloppy. It was so relatively recent that he was playing college hoops at what? probably around 250 lbs?

It's a lot, even for someone as athletic and on point as Fant appears to be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lobohawk":lg1qz7fg said:
hawkfan68":lg1qz7fg said:

There was too small a sample size to judge his effectiveness before his injury. It was the first game after all. Much of his weight gain last season was attributed to his being unable to workout during the season. Time spent on recovery, not conditioning.

That said, he's decided to go for quickness versus mass this season and that's cool. Should be fun to watch.

Pro sports has just as much spin now as entertainment and politics.

Player comes in heavy? "hey he wanted to bulk up to get strong to absorb punishment!"
Player comes in light? "hey he wanted to get lean and fast!"

Like I said above, I don't put stock in any of this. My eyes will tell me everything I need to know about which players were serious about their off season training on September 10th.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If last years plan was to beef him up to better absorb hits, It appears that this years plan is get back to running away from them. Protecting him from taking hits is still off the table though.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vbw7uw6 said:
lobohawk":1vbw7uw6 said:
hawkfan68":1vbw7uw6 said:

Pro sports has just as much spin now as entertainment and politics.

Player comes in heavy? "hey he wanted to bulk up to get strong to absorb punishment!"
Player comes in light? "hey he wanted to get lean and fast!"

Like I said above, I don't put stock in any of this. My eyes will tell me everything I need to know about which players were serious about their off season training on September 10th.

Here is the difference

1) Everyone noticed RW was much heavier last year vs the year before. I attributed it to bulking up

2) He even stated in the article that he felt heavy and wanted to slim down

3) He lost 15lbs and 6% bodyfat vs where he came in last year

How that translates to his game - agree lets see how that plays out on the field, but you can't really argue about the fact that he wanted to make a change and he did it. Now the results of the change is not known yet

Mick063

Reaction score
He needs that lightened load to maintain his quickness.

I personally don't think he needs to make a living by extending plays, but he obviously does. If that is the case, then he requires the ability to dodge and weave through tacklers.

The only way he can remain successful with added bulk, is with quick reads, a quick release, and throwing on time (100% of the time) ala Dan Marino. I think he is capable of playing that way, but Russell chooses not to play that way. He wants to add an element of chaos to the game and he can't do that with a fat ass.

I congratulate him for identifying his needs and rectifying his weaknesses to suit the style of play has chosen. There is still hope for him to reach the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts