Russell Wilson's Diet (article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeptical.seahawk

Reaction score
Wow! I am perplexed by the lack of skepticism about this fad diet.

Firstly, I'm pumped that he is in better shape and I hope this translates to improved performance on the field.

However, the nutritional "guru" who is explaining how the diet works is making up BS out of thin air. Weight = calories in minus calories out. Increasing calorie intake (food) without changing the the utilization of calories (exercise) will lead to increased weight every time, no exceptions. My guess is that Russell may be exercising more, and actually may be lowering his calorie intake (while thinking that he is consuming more). Otherwise he is defying the laws of physics and nature.

I love Russell, but he is prone to magical thinking in multiple aspects of his life, and he may be an easy target for those looking to take advantage of he gullible (especially the rich).

For those looking to lose weight: decrease calorie input and increase calorie use. Guaranteed to work every time, all without lining the the pockets of a shill for the billion dollar nutrition scam industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
skeptical.seahawk":5buhb3p1 said:

Firstly, I'm pumped that he is in better shape and I hope this translates to improved performance on the field.

However, the nutritional "guru" who is explaining how the diet works is making up BS out of thin air. Weight = calories in minus calories out. Increasing calorie intake (food) without changing the the utilization of calories (exercise) will lead to increased weight every time, no exceptions. My guess is that Russell may be exercising more, and actually may be lowering his calorie intake (while thinking that he is consuming more). Otherwise he is defying the laws of physics and nature.

I love Russell, but he is prone to magical thinking in multiple aspects of his life, and he may be an easy target for those looking to take advantage of he gullible (especially the rich).

For those looking to lose weight: decrease calorie input and increase calorie use. Guaranteed to work every time, all without lining the the pockets of a shill for the billion dollar nutrition scam industry.

Tom Brady is going to be pissed at you.

Jville

Reaction score
"One of the important things with Russell and the elite athletes is that none of the foods he consumes are inflammatory foods, which means no yeast, no mold, no dairy, no gluten," Goglia said. "Dairy's like eating moderately hard phlegm. It adversely affects oxygen. No dairy, no breads -- muffins, bagels -- nothing that is yeast, mold and gluten-bound. So starches are always one-ingredient guys like potatoes or rice or yams or oatmeal. If it's got more than one ingredient in it, he couldn't eat it."

"A fatty fish like salmon, sea bass, black cod, arctic char," Goglia said. "They actually increase your body's ability to promote deep REM sleep, reduce inflammation, release more growth hormone. So it's a very efficient protein to consume in the evening. And if not fatty fish, then steak. But a lean steak like a filet or flank or hanger steak. The high iron count in these red meats will also increase hematocrit and promote deep REM sleep."

Avoiding foods that contribute to inflammation while choosing foods that help reduce inflammation and promote REM sleep are very important goals. Eating smaller multiple meals/snack along with avoiding dairy helps keep blood oxygen up. All of which are important for older adults who want to maintain health and energy while avoiding pill and drug dependency.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
skeptical.seahawk":6d0nz3pa said:

Good post, thank you for sturring the pot a bit :stirthepot:

The nutritionist did say at the end of the article that if this diet isn't followed closely, it can fall off the rails quick.

However, Wilson is the last guy I'd imagine falling off the rails with anything imo. He just seems so motivated with everything in his life, that a diet seems like the kind of thing he'd stick to like glue.

And if the diet doesn't work, he'll probably just modify it or fire this guy and move on.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":3creuoav said:
"One of the important things with Russell and the elite athletes is that none of the foods he consumes are inflammatory foods, which means no yeast, no mold, no dairy, no gluten," Goglia said. "Dairy's like eating moderately hard phlegm. It adversely affects oxygen. No dairy, no breads -- muffins, bagels -- nothing that is yeast, mold and gluten-bound. So starches are always one-ingredient guys like potatoes or rice or yams or oatmeal. If it's got more than one ingredient in it, he couldn't eat it."

"A fatty fish like salmon, sea bass, black cod, arctic char," Goglia said. "They actually increase your body's ability to promote deep REM sleep, reduce inflammation, release more growth hormone. So it's a very efficient protein to consume in the evening. And if not fatty fish, then steak. But a lean steak like a filet or flank or hanger steak. The high iron count in these red meats will also increase hematocrit and promote deep REM sleep."

Avoiding foods that contribute to inflammation while choosing foods that help reduce inflammation and promote REM sleep are very important goals. Eating smaller multiple meals/snack along with avoiding dairy helps keep blood oxygen up. All of which are important for older adults who want to maintain health and energy while avoiding pill and drug dependency.

Largent80 would ask whats wrong with pill and drug dependency, it has kept him preserved as a 26 year old in a 60 plus year old body for a long time :)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
skeptical.seahawk":3ghpkaig said:

A lot of the stuff I read is pretty much BroScience.

You're oversimplifying a bit on calories due to body composition; the macro nutrient ratios (protein, fat, carbs) matter a lot, but I agree that he is on some kind of elite football athlete "cut". He may be training more, and generally he's going to lose strength with weight loss. Hopefully his lifting programming is such to minimize it while he's working on dropping his bodyfat percentage.

Mostly the diet is about compliance (which pretty much any diet is) and less about the details, especially with someone who is genetically gifted. I had a roommate in college who was a Div I tailback and the guy just ate whatever, lifted with crappy programming, and got stronger and stronger with very little bodyfat gain. Meanwhile if I look at some Lucky Charms the right way, I get more gut and am barely progressing on my lifts.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
It's interesting to see the talk about weight gain and loss here. For those who don't exercise much, a few pounds gained or lost may not feel like much of a difference, but to me over the years, it's been a massive difference, and I bet it is to Wilson as well.

I joined the Navy at about 125 pounds. Tall and skinny was an understatement. I was a runner. I was decently fast, too. I filled out a bit throughout my career, but never over about 150 for the longest time. Still tall and skinny and fast. I ran the mile and a half between about 7:45 to about 9:00, depending on how in-shape I was.

Then I started hitting the gym. A couple hours every weekday, religiously. Protein. Creatine. Lots of calories. I was eating about 4,000-5,000 calories a day, and burning it all into muscle. I started getting a lot bigger. Noticeably bigger. I bulked up to about 175, which may not seem like a lot, but for me it was. And while I was feeling completely awesome, strong, and in the best shape of my life, my run time suffered immensely. I was a lot slower. I was in the best shape of my life, physically, and there was no way I could come close to running a sub-8:00 mile and a half. If I was in the nine-minute-something range, it was a good run time.

It wasn't much of a difference in weight, but physiologically it was immense. And I think that's what Wilson noticed. Even if he was in top shape, the extra weight saps the speed, and it's enough to change his play style. And of course, the brain doesn't realize you're as slow. Sure, you know it, but you're like, "I can outrun that guy. I'll just sprint here and turn here and..." you're tackled.

And that's what he wanted to change. At least how I see it. :twocents:

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Lookin good!
He posted this today on Facebook

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1498974214663.jpg
    FB_IMG_1498974214663.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,119

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12tik424 said:
Rat":12tik424 said:
That's a lot of fruit for a diet intended to drop weight. Not sure how backed by science his opinions on dairy and gluten are either.

I guess that'd be the great part about working with high-end athletes on their diets, they work so much and work so hard, that pretty much anything you put them on will see results.

I think you answered your own question.

Yes if you were advising a normal person who's trying to lean down, no sugars, fruits or too many carbs is the way t go............but this is a high performance athlete. Obviously, 4800 calories a day.

I read that article, and I tried, but there's no way that adds up to 4800 calories/day. You can't get an exact count because you don't know what "lean protein" he's eating, but lean protein isn't calorie dense so he's likely around 3500.

The fruits, if eaten after a workout, will spike insulin and promote muscle growth. I'd also agree with the dairy part that Rat mentioned. There's different studies out there, but when I had dental surgery, I was instructed no bread of any kind and soft foods for 2 weeks. This ended up being a lot of yogurt. Without working out any extra, I lost 10 lbs. So it worked for me.

As for Wilson's weight, if he wants to lean out, I'm for it. It's no coincidence that he came in chunky and heavy looking last year, and ended up getting hurt the most of his career. The knee injury vs. SF comes to mind; rolling out and not quite getting away from the LBer. If he was a bit quicker, maybe he takes off running or has that extra step on the defender.

Or maybe it was his ankle. /shrug. it's a solid theory though...he's young enough to still use his quicks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
chris98251":2xs3bc5i said:
He is not a big man and I will bet he is at max weight for his frame anyway athlete or not, ten to 15 pounds is a lot when you compound the quickness faster with more mass to react in a given moment and the type of weight as well, quick twitch muscles which people with elite quickness are trained to react and send those signals, more weight and the signals get there but the muscles take more time to react to what the nerves are sending because you have more mass to move. Collins had the same issue last year, didn't lose a lot of weight but redistributed it and trained up his strength and quickness came with less mass to move when he was making cuts.

You really want to see what weight can do to quickness look at point guards and Forwards in the NBA, when they mature sometimes the added weight makes them slow and unable to defend as well also. Then you see them moved to a off guard many times if they grow out of the position or a Power Forward.

Good post. Ask Lofa Tatupu what 10 extra pounds can do. He thought he was light in the pants so when he added 10 lbs, all he ended up with were lower leg injuries constantly. It was too much for his frame. And it was good weight, he wasn't sloppy.

I think Russ could weigh 225, but he looked thick and a bit sloppy last year. It wasn't good weight.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1k0gz70j said:
Lookin good!

Now that is what we like to see! Not only looking in great shape. but also working on that sun tan and attempting to become black enough for the guys. :twisted:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":z0ssc9uj said:
Jville":z0ssc9uj said:

Largent80 would ask whats wrong with pill and drug dependency, it has kept him preserved as a 26 year old in a 60 plus year old body for a long time :)

Weight loss isn't as simple as "less calories" with someone exercising. It's changing the caloric, carbs, protein and fat intakes to foods that easily transfer to energy. Example: almonds have 250 calories and 18g of fat per 1/4 cup. Doritos are half that for a full cup. Which do you think equates to energy better. Also, as you said, eating smaller portions over multiple meals keeps metabolism working more effectively and efficiently.

So not a sham diet at all. Probably pretty well thought out. I'm sure there will be adjustments to which foods are eaten as well as they figure out how his body reacts to certain foods.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Some of the reasoning behind his ideas is guru bullshit and experts know the field have had a field day clowning him but in the end if Wilson feels better and is achieving his goals then I'm glad. Its odd to me that at that level there are bad strength coaches, nutritional coaches etc but its actually fairly common in professional sports. Regardless glad RW feels better and believes in what he's doing.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":k8v4zrue said:
He is not a big man and I will bet he is at max weight for his frame anyway athlete or not, ten to 15 pounds is a lot when you compound the quickness faster with more mass to react in a given moment and the type of weight as well, quick twitch muscles which people with elite quickness are trained to react and send those signals, more weight and the signals get there but the muscles take more time to react to what the nerves are sending because you have more mass to move. Collins had the same issue last year, didn't lose a lot of weight but redistributed it and trained up his strength and quickness came with less mass to move when he was making cuts.

You really want to see what weight can do to quickness look at point guards and Forwards in the NBA, when they mature sometimes the added weight makes them slow and unable to defend as well also. Then you see them moved to a off guard many times if they grow out of the position or a Power Forward.

He's not a tall man, but he is a very big man

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3flx6f4f said:
Lookin good!

Cropped out the love handles.

Damn you RW, lose the weight!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":1506130x said:
Jerhawk":1506130x said:
Lookin good!

Now that is what we like to see! Not only looking in great shape. but also working on that sun tan and attempting to become black enough for the guys. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
19624318_129593294304049_1245235435723030528_n.jpg

He reminds me of his rookie year, he looks great!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":1h1ov91s said:
19624318_129593294304049_1245235435723030528_n.jpg

He reminds me of his rookie year, he looks great!

Nice to see my criticism is sinking in.

Go get 'em RW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts