Russell Wilson's Mind Games

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good read. I suspect he will continue to be overlooked all the way to Canton.

Wilson has never received an MVP vote, and while he's made the Pro Bowl (everyone makes the Pro Bowl), he's never been voted by writers to the Associated Press All-Pro team. Not the first team. Not the second team. Ten quarterbacks have earned such recognition since Wilson debuted in 2012.

Yet when this year ends, Wilson will be the first quarterback ever to have a winning record in each of his first eight seasons.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/286 ... m=referral

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just think how amazingly stupid it is that he has never once received an MVP vote? Never once been All Pro? Next level hilarious. I wonder what excuses they will use when he's at his HOF speech. He'll show class I'm sure, unlike the many many many media members who have chosen to ignore what's right in front of them. Oh well, you just keep winning Russ, many of us actually get it :irishdrinkers:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The thing is, to be All Pro, you have to be the best or second-best at your position in the NFL.

Last year when Mahomes threw for 5000+ yards and 50 TDs, would you put Wilson's 3500 yards and 35 TDs ahead of him?

Wilson has only been #1 in 3 QB categories in his career: QB Rating in 2015, Sack yards in 2016 (that's a bad thing), and TDs in 2017.

While his aggregate numbers are amazing, there always seems to be someone who out-performs him in any given single season.

He's losing the sprints, but winning the marathon.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":x19vqdiu said:
The thing is, to be All Pro, you have to be the best or second-best at your position in the NFL.

Last year when Mahomes threw for 5000+ yards and 50 TDs, would you put Wilson's 3500 yards and 35 TDs ahead of him?

Wilson has only been #1 in 3 QB categories in his career: QB Rating in 2015, Sack yards in 2016 (that's a bad thing), and TDs in 2017.

While his aggregate numbers are amazing, there always seems to be someone who out-performs him in any given single season.

He's losing the sprints, but winning the marathon.

This! I'd take him over ANY OF THEM.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":mv4g6nrh said:
Just think how amazingly stupid it is that he has never once received an MVP vote? Never once been All Pro? Next level hilarious. I wonder what excuses they will use when he's at his HOF speech. He'll show class I'm sure, unlike the many many many media members who have chosen to ignore what's right in front of them. Oh well, you just keep winning Russ, many of us actually get it :irishdrinkers:

We've (most of us) loved him around here since day 1, and rightfully so!

But really, he elevated himself to this conversation, legitimately, in the last few seasons.He's playing at a different level than he was in his first couple seasons. And as mentioned, there are quite a few QB's in this league who are really, really good.

This year, being in the MVP race for much of the year has changed his perception around the league for good I think. He keeps playing at this elevated level and the personal accolades are going to come. He is right there in the top 3.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wilson hasn't been overlooked. He is efficient but he's never had a season where he has deserved MVP consideration, nor even all-pro.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1b0kvwj5 said:
That's your opinion and that's fine.
Go Hawks
It's not an opinion, it is fact. Take the Blue and lime green glasses off and it is easy to see. What Kiwi said is absolutely correct. He's consistent and his aggregated stats look good, but he has not had a single season where you could place him as the uncontested top QB in the NFL. He is the Tortoise in the Tortoise and the Hare fable.

PaltryWings7

Reaction score
It's because Seattle is historically a run-first offense and makes Wilson's talents go under the radar most seasons. Every Seahawks fan knows how good he is despite his stats not being that of a pass first quarterback.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has a greatest strength that will put him in Canton with almost 100% certainty. It is the single most coveted attribute in not just the NFL, but all professional sports when paired with at least better than average production. Maybe even not even that, Robert Horry wasn't that great unless he was taking the last shot - but most basketball fans remember his name for almost the same reason.

Being difficult to measure, it is also the most difficult to compare/contrast in terms of value with those that do not have it.

Wilson is better under pressure. Not just a little bit. He is exceptional under pressure. Not as a peak/valley thing either. Regularly.

Mahomes is going to put up greater numbers. He has a more prolific offense and is harder to defend. But he is also not going to convert that 3rd and 11 you have to have at the same clip Wilson will. He is very very good under pressure. But Wilson is stellar. HOF stellar.

When you compare #s in aggregate, he won't do as well as some other QBs because he isn't asked to do as much, and not as often. But when you do need it done, he will almost always succeed - despite all the reasons he shouldn't.

This is why other professional athletes recognize his greatness but it took longer for the media to do so. A QB with that attribute is more valuable than a QB with double the stats. But the measuring stick for the MVP is still aggregate stats, so until this year Wilson never stood a chance. You have to value quality over quantity and comparing stats by nature does the opposite.

He still doesn't stand much chance. Yet this might be our best shot in the playoffs in half a decade because we are relying more on Wilson now. I will gladly take more playoff success vs. an MVP.

Wilson is one of the better clutch players the NFL has seen. He may never get an MVP, but he is almost assuredly going to Canton.

xray

Reaction score
2 superbowl rings would of made a world of difference for his career in many ways . IMO

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":r150reio said:
SoulfishHawk":r150reio said:
Go Hawks
It's not an opinion, it is fact. Take the Blue and lime green glasses off and it is easy to see. What Kiwi said is absolutely correct. He's consistent and his aggregated stats look good, but he has not had a single season where you could place him as the uncontested top QB in the NFL. He is the Tortoise in the Tortoise and the Hare fable.

Hmm only player in NFL history to account for over 80% of the offensive yards and over 95% of offensive TDs, That was MVP worthy as most said, but he did not

MrThortan

Reaction score
Read an article today about Russel's bid for mvp. Seahawks have 2 pro bowlers on the team, while the Ravens have 12. Makes you wonder who has had a bigger impact for their team.

MVP is whatever, but I hope Russell has a HOF career. I don't know if he is there yet, but I I have heard of worse candidates

James in PA

Reaction score
Who will be the darling shiny new toy of the sports media next year? Last year it was Mahomes. This year it’s Lamar. Next year? Kyler perhaps. Meanwhile, Russ will get overlooked once again and just keep doing his thing, which is winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
PaltryWings7":1a3ztw3n said:
Every Seahawks fan knows how good he is despite his stats not being that of a pass first quarterback.

Except for Spin Doctor. :roll:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
John63":1z4e78lw said:
Spin Doctor":1z4e78lw said:
SoulfishHawk":1z4e78lw said:
Go Hawks

Hmm only player in NFL history to account for over 80% of the offensive yards and over 95% of offensive TDs, That was MVP worthy as most said, but he did not
Nope. For one the Seahawks didn't even make the playoffs that year, and two he fell off pretty hard near the end of the season. Not going to the playoffs is a non-starter for the MVP conversation. Brady also had a better TD to INT ratio while passing the ball more than Wilson, he also had a better completion percentage than Wilson along with better bulk stats.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":21cxardv said:
PaltryWings7":21cxardv said:
Every Seahawks fan knows how good he is despite his stats not being that of a pass first quarterback.

Except for Spin Doctor. :roll:
Have I been bashing Wilson? No I have not, I'm simply stating the truth. He has not had a season that is worthy of MVP consideration. That doesn't mean I think he's bad. There have been plenty of HOF calibre QBs that have never won a MVP before. That is not necessarily a knock on him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
James in PA":22sw0xfd said:
Who will be the darling shiny new toy of the sports media next year? Last year it was Mahomes. This year it’s Lamar. Next year? Kyler perhaps. Meanwhile, Russ will get overlooked once again and just keep doing his thing, which is winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mahommes absolutely deserved the MVP over Wilson last year, Wilson was not "OVERLOOKED". Mahommes was not just the "shiny new toy" He threw for over 5000 yards and 50 TDs... Those numbers put that 2017 campaign as one of the best all time seasons in NFL history. No way in hell did Wilson deserve MVP status over that insanity.