Russell's Slow Start Is Because...

Russell's Slow Start Is Because...

• He feels sorry for the opponents so he's trying to act human.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • He wants the OL to be humbled before they experience greatness.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Harbaugh's voodoo curse actually has some juice.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I have a better answer (read my response).

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Because Mike Rob was a big part of our first down offense. And with no Mike Rob, we suck running on first down. Setting us up for some long second downs.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
Rocket":2qsedghl said:
Seems to be overthrowing receivers... maybe, sorta.
One of the premier FB's in the league. Really hope the Falcons pick him up. Our FB is made out of glass.

themunn

Reaction score
Russell hasn't started slow.
He's started so quickly that relativity is taking place, and he's moving so quickly that what seems like a second for him is actually years to a stationary observer

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":12824fmu said:
Because Mike Rob was a big part of our first down offense. And with no Mike Rob, we suck running on first down. Setting us up for some long second downs.

Exactly what I was going to mention, missing the security of MRob back there.

And lay off the adrenaline shots before the game.

stickman1966

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2yzn3poa said:
Russell was 25/33 with 320 yards, 9.7 YPA, and no INTs in week one...

Exactly! Not to mention he had teh second highest QBR EVER for that game. Was he great Sunday night...nope...but to many peole expect perfection every week and that is totally unrealistic for any player. People need to remember that he is still only in his SECOND FREAKIN YEAR!

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
He's watching, reading, learning the D packages he sees. Two of the best defenses are going to mix things a little in the beginning of a game and even Mr. Wilson needs a couple minutes to sort it all out properly. The NFL allows teams to have those coaches over there even though Mr. Wilson only needs them to bring him the Polaroids. (Does that tell you how long I've been watching football????)

hawker84

Reaction score
Same thing as last year, offense just needs to get some time in ,, it'll come together like it did last season.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I am through watching the first half again and I think part of the problem is how SF was playing Rice and Tate. The have the LBs dropping deep and a safety over and corner on each. It does not look like much is available except short passes. I think the defenses idea was to let the DL handle our OL without much support from the backfield.

After Okung went out Miller helped block a lot making him NA underneath. When they had 2 backs in it made Baldwin stay on the bench. I can't really say it was on Wilson as much as I had thought initially.

speedcat

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":dex77pbo said:
Todd Dombrowski, you are the prince of polls and poles.

Honestly I just think he his caught up in the moment, that shit gets to him too. He started out 1 for 5 in Carolina and 1 for 9 last night.
It's when he gets down to that proper dosage of adrenaline and that "in-the-now" mentality that he seems to really start cooking.

Exactly. Dude so thrives on adversity. He rises to the challenge. I don't think Russ is our problem. In fact, I don't think we have a problem.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Could just be one of our teams base tenets. Give our O-line time to beat up the other guys. Wear them down. Lots of posters here and elsewhere have noticed that as games wear on, we rank really high for in game adjustments.

Counting playoff games last year, we won 12 and lost 6, and every one of those lost games was a one possession/one score game. Was there another team in the NFL that can say that?

Greg Cosell wrote that we frustrated the Niners simply because, we just lined up and played assignment correct defensive football. That says a lot.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Hmm... well he threw for a career high 320 yards in game one, and pretty much kept us in it despite no running game.. The title should be "Russell's one bad game is because..."

jammerhawk

Reaction score
themunn":1ut5pbjo said:
Russell hasn't started slow.
He's started so quickly that relativity is taking place, and he's moving so quickly that what seems like a second for him is actually years to a stationary observer

LOL!

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Good one!

Reality is the team has faced two very strong front 7s and his protection has been worse than he needs. As time goes on the OL will improve and RW will adjust to being hurried. Just one or two extra caught passes that were dropped or where the WR fell down or tipped the ball in both games and we all have less to worry about. Color me not concerned!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
How many games has the starting offense played together now? Two? I think Wilson, Rice, and Tate aren't completely on the same page right now.

Also, if Zach Miller doesn't drop a pass (that was admittedly behind him) for a TD, maybe we aren't having this discussion, either.

I do think we're missing MRob big time. I think we see him against Houston if Coleman has a bad game against Jax.

Laloosh

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zcf6r6s said:
Russell was 25/33 with 320 yards, 9.7 YPA, and no INTs in week one...

Doesn't mean they can't give him some better options to handle blitzes and pressures with some quick, underneath routes from the the receivers.

I'm not looking for a WCO but some outlets would be nice so we're not eating 5-10 yard losses on sacks or forcing the ball down field off-balance with a defender in his face.

Dan McGwire

Reaction score
I think he might just be a bit to jacked up at a start of the game and it takes him a bit to calm down. This isn't a new problem as he suffered a similar issue in the two playoff games last year. I think he just needs to find a way to balance the emotions a bit at the beginning of the game or the coaches need to maybe call a couple of high % passes to get him in rhythm earlier.

drdiags

Reaction score
I am sure the pundits are hoping it is a sophomore slump. He may break out of it against the Jags and he surely better be right heading into Houston.

For awhile there last Sunday, I am sure Whitner was just like Randy Quaid in Independence Day. "I told you ...." in relation to the Seahawks having a gimmicky offense using a specialized scheme for specialized players (code for ordinary joes/gimmicks).

I do wonder if the onslaught of endorsers and folks wanting more of the young guns time hasn't impacted each in some manner.

Anyway, I am sure all is well and the early season rust on the offense will get taken care of allowing the maniacal march to the promised land to continue.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons for the struggles, many of which have been mentioned in this thread. Don't forget that two of his favorite targets - Zach Miller and Sidney Rice - missed most all of training camp and that means they missed tons of reps.

Not having Mike Rob is a big factor, as I knew it would be.

I have not been impressed with Bevell's play calling or the overall offensive game plan in either of the first two games. Where are the shots downfield? Where was Kearse vs SF? What are we doing with Willson? There was not one target at either Kearse or Willson vs SF. With a full off-season and everyone back in place, we should be further along as an offense.

Taking nothing away from the fact that Carolina and SF are two very good defenses (although Buffalo found a way to score 24 points vs the Panthers), there are a lot of nagging little issues holding the offense back right now.