How good has John Schneider been?

• He could have achieved more but pulled back by Pete

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • His achievements were mostly due to Pete

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

toffee

Reaction score
John has been our GM for over 10 years, he has hits and misses, more hits in the first 3-4 years and last 2 years, more misses in between. How Jody placed the future in John's hands, but how good is John?

calinator

Reaction score
He has a ton of misses but also the big thing is the Seahawks have consistently picked at the bottom half of the draft and traded away a lot of high picks.

Free Agency has been solid if not very good. Jimmy Graham could have been great but the coordinators didn't use him properly and RW threw the goofiest endzone fades in history.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Every time I’ve heard John’s name mentioned around the league it’s in high regard. I think he’s known to be one of the better GMs in the league in general.

I think he’s going to shine now that he’s out from Pete’s shadow.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
He has had some amazing drafts. He has also had some absolutely terrible trades. Like franchise altering bad trades. It will be interesting to see now, how much influence was Pete and how much was John. I'm excited for him though.

Ozzy

Reaction score
As Aros said he’s very highly regarded around the league. I saw something recently that people around the league view him as a top 5 GM. There has also been leaks that a few of the baffling picks were Pete going against the scouting department and John so that’s how I voted.

renofox

Reaction score
Bring this poll back in a couple years and we should have a pretty clear answer. Will the obviously idiotic moves cease from this point? I really hope so.

NoGain

Reaction score
We'll see
Yup. Overall it was difficult to determine where PC began and JS ended. It's a guessing game. Although I do not think JS makes the JA trade, and I also think he took a more authoritative role the last few drafts. We'll see over time. But I've heard some pretty knowledgeable football people remark that he's a top 5 or so GM in the league.

Scout

Reaction score
JS knows how to scout for talent and trading/signing for high end veteran players aggressively is what Ron Wolf used to do.

The only main criticism I have for JS is trading away high draft picks for one year rentals without working out long term deals. It is hard to build a team this way because high draft picks tend to be cheaper now that they are slotted by draft position.

I do not think you can say this was all on PC because JS is the one that can work out the contracts.

Jac

Reaction score
I believe we’ll start seeing QBs being drafted (Green Bay’s approach) now that he’s not weighed down by Carroll’s needs for immediacy.

xray

Reaction score
If JS was overshadowed or took the backseat to PC for 14 years ; then that's on him . He was the GM . He should of been the BOSS ; but he wasn't . I read many opinions about JS here ; claiming that he is NOW able to roll out his awesome abilities in draft picks , trades , free agency , coaching hires etc. It was easy for everyone to blame PC only , for the mediocre teams the Hawks fielded for the past half dozen years or so ; but JS was every-bit as responsible for anything and everything that occured .

Wheetie

Reaction score
If JS was overshadowed or took the backseat to PC for 14 years ; then that's on him . He was the GM . He should of been the BOSS ; but he wasn't . I read many opinions about JS here ; claiming that he is NOW able to roll out his awesome abilities in draft picks , trades , free agency , coaching hires etc. It was easy for everyone to blame PC only , for the mediocre teams the Hawks fielded for the past half dozen years or so ; but JS was every-bit as responsible for anything and everything that occured .
Pete was John's boss. The buck stops at the top.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Yup. Overall it was difficult to determine where PC began and JS ended. It's a guessing game. Although I do not think JS makes the JA trade, and I also think he took a more authoritative role the last few drafts. We'll see over time. But I've heard some pretty knowledgeable football people remark that he's a top 5 or so GM in the league.
^This^

Everything in this thread is speculation.

One of the two was the driver behind Harvin, Graham, Adams, some of the draft picks, etc. The best guess I have is there's no way those decisions happen without Pete's approval at a minimum, and it's not hard to imagine his insistence, him being VP of football operations and all.

seahawks08

Reaction score
John came from the Green Bay model of hiring QBs. Pete changed his thinking of never drafting QBs early or built the team around defense. When it didn’t work now, John might go the Green Bay model again. Building the trenches might have been John’s. Pete was always very particular around shoring up the safeties and keeping the plays in front of you. Pete’s defense played very sticky in early years that somehow he couldn’t collect the talent in later years and coach them up. John is a mirror of Pete in decision making but Pete had an amazing way of influencing and talking through things. Sitting on the outside, Pete cared about keeping John happy, but he truly believed in what he was doing will yield results.

Latest posts