Mike 4G":2yheth1j said:
kidhawk":2yheth1j said:
jblaze":2yheth1j said:
Article by Jason LaCanfora.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... al-in-2015

Tweet

DAVIS HSU retweeted
Sam HawkBadger ‏@hwkbgr 11m11 minutes ago

RT @JasonLaCanfora: Russell Wilson prepping as if he's playing out his rookie deal in 2015

Lots of speculation on Jason's part but this kind of flies in the face of other reports I've read about them being close on a deal.

Another head scratcher that just came out in twitter is that Irsay say that they won't address Luck's contract this offseason and that they will wait til next year. Luck's situation is a bit different though as the Colts have the team 5th year option to work with while Seattle does not with RW.

Yeah, the Colts have that extra time since he was a first round pick. I especially like this quote from the article:

He's preparing and budgeting as if he'll still be on a bargain deal, and will be ready to play it out if need be.

The man makes millions of dollars in endorsements. I seriously doubt budgeting around his actual contract is an issue he needs to put too much thought into. At this point, his football contract is more like pocket money compared to his endorsement checks.

I still don't see this changing anything. They'll get the deal done in due time. There really is no rush.

Does he really make millions in endorsements though? I have only seen him do some Airline and Surface commercials. I am not sure that those are just local ads either. I think waiting for him to play out his rookie deal is a mistake.
The Surface (Microsoft) is national. I assume Alaskan Airlines is local given I haven't seen any of those commercials out here.

TAB420

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":11gzhxn1 said:
According to 49er fans if we sign him to a long term contract we will be making the BIGGEST mistake ever!

:roll:

If they had a QB that kept beating Seattle, I would say the same thing. Noticed how we all hoped they would sign Kap to a long deal? Just like we all hoped he would't get traded this year.

Seafan

Reaction score
kearly":27k2ugaw said:
A deal will happen. It would be incredibly stupid not to.

Incredibly stupid on RW and his agent not on the Seahawks. If he plays out his contract (I don't think he will) there is no way he makes up the lost revenue.

As a fan I'm not worried about it and JS isn't either. He's not going anywhere. If he plays out this season it can only help the Hawks.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":2dxnzmaw said:
kearly":2dxnzmaw said:

Incredibly stupid on RW and his agent not on the Seahawks. If he plays out his contract (I don't think he will) there is no way he makes up the lost revenue.

As a fan I'm not worried about it and JS isn't either. He's not going anywhere. If he plays out this season it can only help the Hawks.

:lol:

original poster

Reaction score
Seafan":1z336n0d said:
kearly":1z336n0d said:

I agree that he isn't going anywhere and also agree that it helps out the Hawks with Cap money this year but we don't need help, there are next to no FA's we'd sign left and waiting another year will simply make his contract even bigger next year.

It would be a short term gain for a long term loss IMO. Salaries at just about every position will continue to rise alongside cap rises.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I don't see Wilson 'prepping' much differently than he normally does on the on-field stuff. He'll be ready physically and mentally for the games.

As to the rest, :229031_shrug: He's making decent bucks on the endorsements, nobody is hearing any leaks or rumors about him wanting to go elsewhere, he's always called Seattle his dream team.

Listening to NWCN this AM, and they said that Schneider was quoted saying he was going to work on Wilson after FA. Now that that has calmed down a bit, the big surge is over and now teams are just kind of sifting through the lower level palyers available, something will probably be announced in a few weeks. I'm interested, of course, but far from worried.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
kearly":1avktalu said:

First off, you could extend both Wilson and Wagner today and theoretically not even change their 2015 cap numbers. More realistically, you'd have to give both guys some signing bonus money, but Wilson's signing bonus might be a $7 million cap hit this year and maybe $3 million this year for Wagner. Those numbers are so small because the bonus is spread out over 4-5 years.

So it absolutely can be done, and it would be silly to wait. Next year the cap will be even higher and average salaries will rise accordingly. Whatever Wilson or Wagner cost right now, they will cost ~10% more this time next year. Not only would the pricetag be cheaper if they signed now, but Seattle could use these players' final low cost year to help spread the cap hit.

It's going to happen. If it doesn't, I would consider it a rare case of incompetence from our FO. But 99.999999% chance it happens. Probably in April or May.
Incompetence + our FO = contradiction in terms.

JimmyG

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1fp2ekew said:
As long as Wilson gets his deal done before Luck, I'm not going to worry. Luck is going to sign for a ton of money, and Wilson will have every reason to ask for just as much, if not more, than Luck based on what he has accomplished in 3 years.

I'm hoping the Wilson deal is done before Luck just so we don't even have to worry about it.
There's really no way Luck should sign an extension before Wilson does. Although they were drafted in the same year, Luck was a first round pick, so the Colts have a team option on him for 2016. He can't be a free agent until 2017. Wilson, on the other hand, was a 3rd round pick, so the team doesn't have that option, and thus his rookie deal ends this year.

I can't see Wilson playing out his rookie contract. It just doesn't make sense. Why would he risk suffering a catastrophic injury by playing this year out? News like this is just posturing from Wilson/his agent, just like Schneider is posturing when he says, "well, if push comes to shove, we're prepared to move on without him." Don't believe a word of what either party says about the contract. It's just lip service to the media.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
JimmyG":3f3ilhvv said:
HawkFan72":3f3ilhvv said:
As long as Wilson gets his deal done before Luck, I'm not going to worry. Luck is going to sign for a ton of money, and Wilson will have every reason to ask for just as much, if not more, than Luck based on what he has accomplished in 3 years.

I'm hoping the Wilson deal is done before Luck just so we don't even have to worry about it.
There's really no way Luck should sign an extension before Wilson does. Although they were drafted in the same year, Luck was a first round pick, so the Colts have a team option on him for 2016. He can't be a free agent until 2017. Wilson, on the other hand, was a 3rd round pick, so the team doesn't have that option, and thus his rookie deal ends this year.

I can't see Wilson playing out his rookie contract. It just doesn't make sense. Why would he risk suffering a catastrophic injury by playing this year out? News like this is just posturing from Wilson/his agent, just like Schneider is posturing when he says, "well, if push comes to shove, we're prepared to move on without him." Don't believe a word of what either party says about the contract. It's just lip service to the media.

Have to agree with this.....But, I am only here so I dont have to pay a fine. :mrgreen:

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
We don't know what kind of number Wilson is looking for if it's north of 25 million then I can see them waiting to see what his market value is next year. It might not be as high as Wilson thinks it is. Making him the highest paid QB in the league when he's not the best QB playing could be an issue for Seattle. Now Wilson and his agent might argue that he is but Seattle has won because there a great team with more than one elite player .

Anthony!

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":fv6jgz0l said:
We don't know what kind of number Wilson is looking for if it's north of 25 million then I can see them waiting to see what his market value is next year. It might not be as high as Wilson thinks it is. Making him the highest paid QB in the league when he's not the best QB playing could be an issue for Seattle. Now Wilson and his agent might argue that he is but Seattle has won because there a great team with more than one elite player .

That's all true but for all we know Wilson is asking for 18 mil a year and the Hawks think any QB would do so they do not even want to pay that. Or they are trying to push a Kap like deal. We really do not know who or what the issue is, other than JS taking it to the media is very very strange and smells of covering your arse just in case.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Wilson just chartered a plane and flew the team to Hawaii for two weeks of "team building " exercise. Based on that I'd say this deal has already been done. I think just as reported it's out side the box. Paul Allen has adopted Russell so there is no need for contracts any more.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Bottom line, I just wonder how long this crap is going to roll on? The first time Pete and John run into a REAL tough one, they fall to crap????? Just like the call from the one line yard. JUST GET IT DONE and move on

Good God man, what a bunch of horseshit

M.M.

I see they DID manage to get my ticket costs ramped up over twenty per cent these past few years, take that money and get it done!

bigDhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3bkgfi6u said:
If the they can't work out a deal that is favorable for this season, it would be best to let Wilson play out his rookie deal and just franchise him him next year until they can negotiate a new contract. That would free up a lot of room to get Wagner locked up and do a few other moves this season.

I think franchising Wilson is dangerous. I can see a number of teams being glad to swoop in and offer the two 1st round picks for the right to throw 5/125 at him.

Anthony!

Reaction score
bigDhawk":3nw7qfhv said:
HawkFan72":3nw7qfhv said:
If the they can't work out a deal that is favorable for this season, it would be best to let Wilson play out his rookie deal and just franchise him him next year until they can negotiate a new contract. That would free up a lot of room to get Wagner locked up and do a few other moves this season.

I think franchising Wilson is dangerous. I can see a number of teams being glad to swoop in and offer the two 1st round picks for the right to throw 5/125 at him.

That is presuming Wilson does not hold out of camp until they take the tag off the table, which is very possible. If that Happens he is gone. Also that would mean that Luck would have his new deal first as would Cam and that could cost us even more.