Rumor: RW to possibly play out rookie contract?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3qearnhf said:
Laloosh":3qearnhf said:
Hawkfan77":3qearnhf said:
Laloosh":3qearnhf said:
If it's come to that, one or both sides are unhappy and negotiations have failed. Do they really go that route with Russ?

This is all hypothetical and I think he's signed to an extension this year but I don't think a player with that kind of value agrees to play out his rookie contract for a tiny fraction of what he is actually worth out of the kindness of his heart.
Worked with Walt. Russell is a true professional, he's going to give 100% on the field no matter what. Let's not act like guys half a$$ just because they are slapped with a franchise tag.

What are you even arguing? Who said he was going to half-ass anything and how does who you've worked with have any bearing on what I said?

If you're going to craft straw men, do it with someone else's posts.
I can comment on anyone's posts. If you don't like your posts being quoted, I'm not sure what to say. Other than you said there would be unhappy people if Russell gets franchise, and there's no one you could possibly know that.
Clearly you can. The question is, can you stick to talking about what is actually in the post you quoted?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
mikeak":370eqecl said:
Flacco didn't sign because he wanted more money

RW will do what Sherman did

You sign an extension which keeps the base salary for next year intact at the $800k or so. Then the signing bonus is spread on five years and is the only additional cap hit. IF they didn't want to hit the cap then you do zero signing bonus and increase guaranteed and it hits later.

For the record - I don't think that will happen just saying an extension won't hit us hard next year so he won't wait to sign. Lots of players do the extension it is a middle ground as technically they have less leverage now as they are under contract.
mikeak":370eqecl said:
Flacco didn't sign because he wanted more money

RW will do what Sherman did

You sign an extension which keeps the base salary for next year intact at the $800k or so. Then the signing bonus is spread on five years and is the only additional cap hit. IF they didn't want to hit the cap then you do zero signing bonus and increase guaranteed and it hits later.

For the record - I don't think that will happen just saying an extension won't hit us hard next year so he won't wait to sign. Lots of players do the extension it is a middle ground as technically they have less leverage now as they are under contract.

Zero signing bonus would suck.

If Russ played on his rookie salary Seahawks would have anywhere to 24-38m depending on who they might cut.

You can go all out an insure a type of 2013 success with an easier road to SB 50.

Lets say with those cap opportunities Seahawks then net WR Brandon Marshall and TE Julian Thomas.

And shore up the DT depth as well and a CB or two.

All of a sudden you check off 3 potential high-round draft needs. Now you can throw draft picks at 4-5 Offensive Linemen improving the bottom-line on O-line talent. And grab a few more recievers as well.

Now the best team in the NFL potentially as zero holes and still is able to maintain its depth.

With better WRs and O-line talent Wilson is protected and he's not running for his life, hes not running for 500+ yards, he's not taking 40+ sacks and like another 60+ hits. He doesnt have to stack the box and the Seahawks are better prepared to move on from Lynch whether its this season or after the next.

It insures that he takes less physical wear and tear and reduces the potential for severe injury.

Lets use my cap model for him on page 2.
6 yrs, 122 million with 35m signing bonus and up to 90 m guaranteed.

Im going to say in his first 4 years in salary and endorsements he probably nets around $20 million.

So he's not hurting for money this year... And he has invested in and has established his brand.

So in 2016, in my design he cost 12m against the cap but pockets $40 million.

Lets say he invests all of that money and lets also say in profit and losses he nets an average of 10% profit each year.

In 20 years, that 40m turns into $270.

Lets, also say for those 6 years, he's even more successful and his endorsements opportunities plus his brand nets him another $15m per year.

$90M.

If he sees the rest of the 82m of his contract, and not going to even add in the backend of his career, endorsements after 6 years, throwing more money into investments, or money he'll make after playing i.e. coaching or otherwise.

By the time Russ is 50, he gave himself and his team the best opportunities to win more Championships and could be worth as much as 460 mil. Probably much more if you add in all the money I didnt figure in and him investing more.

cacksman

Reaction score
Pandion ^ post is a little ridiculous.

Seattle is not going to "go all out" and "ensure an easier road to the SB" for one year. That is simply not possible.

Russ taking no signing bonus, while unheard of, would only save the team around $6M in 2015, and it would also push the salaries higher in later years. There's just no reason for it.

ETA: while commenting on Russell's total net worth and earning potential adds nothing to the discussion, I feel the need to add to your post. You aren't taking into account the 10% or whatever Russ pays to his agent, the percentages paid to his manager, publicist, whatever else these high profile athletes need. You are also overrating his endorsement #. Peyton Manning, arguably the most recognizable football player in the NFL only made $12.5M last year, and this was with Papa John's, DirecTV, Gatorade, etc.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I agree he will get a signing bonus. My point was just that there is no way he doesn't extend now for the sole purpose of not hitting with a higher value cap next year.

You can accomplish the same in a different way that protects his future so the premise for the article is simply stupid....

Slick

Reaction score
DavidSeven":21rymhxn said:
I don't think it makes sense for either party, and it sounds like LaConfora is just speculating to me. One, you don't let your elite franchise QB sniff free agency. That is absurdly risky, even if you do get a bunch of winks and handshakes a year in advance. People's attitudes change constantly. You lock up the future now.

Also, the price tag is just going to get higher. If you do Wilson after Luck, you can't get ahead of QB/Salary Cap inflation.

Honestly, this might even play in Russell's favor if he's willing to gamble for a year. For Seattle, I would avoid this approach at all costs.

I would not like RW to risk free agency. The Texas Rangers connection spooks me too. I always think that a certain team with a star on its helmet would make a run at RW if he ever became available. By the way, I'm not up to date on the Dallas cap situation next year so all you cap nerds don't crucify me.....this is just my own "tin foil hat" speculation.

cacksman

Reaction score
Slick":3bd5yd10 said:
DavidSeven":3bd5yd10 said:
I don't think it makes sense for either party, and it sounds like LaConfora is just speculating to me. One, you don't let your elite franchise QB sniff free agency. That is absurdly risky, even if you do get a bunch of winks and handshakes a year in advance. People's attitudes change constantly. You lock up the future now.

Also, the price tag is just going to get higher. If you do Wilson after Luck, you can't get ahead of QB/Salary Cap inflation.

Honestly, this might even play in Russell's favor if he's willing to gamble for a year. For Seattle, I would avoid this approach at all costs.

I would not like RW to risk free agency. The Texas Rangers connection spooks me too. I always think that a certain team with a star on its helmet would make a run at RW if he ever became available. By the way, I'm not up to date on the Dallas cap situation next year so all you cap nerds don't crucify me.....this is just my own "tin foil hat" speculation.

You can rest easy knowing that there's absolutely zero chance of RW hitting free agency in the next 10 years, barring a catastrophic Manning/Luck injury situation.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hold out? I doubt Russell could do that even if he wanted to. He would go nuts.

hawk35fan

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2fs7kr3y said:
Hold out? I doubt Russell could do that even if he wanted to. He would go nuts.

With the baseball season being so blasted long, it would not be so bad for Wilson. Be crazy if he could be successful in the majors and go on to win The World Series then sign a contract that would put anything the NFL would ever offer to shame.