RW's extension speculation

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
StoneCold":35rk6aiu said:
Ok, my thread was locked so I'll ask it here. What will stop another team from offering him 30 Mill? And would you pay that much?

SC

Another team won't get a chance... he's not going to get close to becoming an UFA. He'll be signed to an extension before that. :th2thumbs:

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
StoneCold":323q8p00 said:
Ok, my thread was locked so I'll ask it here. What will stop another team from offering him 30 Mill?

An extension that prevents him from hitting the open market, that's what.

themunn

Reaction score
Guaranteed money is not as important as you think. Players will want a portion of it guaranteed to protect themselves against injury, but if you don't get injured and you play well - you'll see that money.

Look at Peyton Manning's contract with Denver for example. He's now 3 years into the 5 year contract. Each of the next two years he has a base salary of $19m (not guaranteed) and a cap hit of $21.5m Only a $5m cap hit to cut him.
If he wants to play next year, he will. And he'll earn $19m in the process - unless the Broncos restructure and offer him more. If the Broncos decide to cut him, fine. But another team out there will pay him the $19m he wants. He sees every penny of his contract in the end - the only real change to these contracts when they restructure is the timing of earnings