S.F. vs Greenbay

Maulbert

Reaction score
One other thing to temper excitement for our resident 49ers fans and nervousness for ourselves: the Packers also got rolled in San Diego. The only thing these games had in common is a west coast road trip. It's not always focused on as hard because there aren't nearly as many west coast teams as east coast, leading to far fewer trips, but eastern teams sometimes struggle heading west. With a rookie head coach, this struggle could definitely play into the Pukers performance last night, especially against a D as good as the Niners. Just some food for thought.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":tw2owxpp said:
olyfan63":tw2owxpp said:
Why wouldn't 49er fans drop in to celebrate a little here after a Beat-Down of Erin and the mighty Packers? It's the NFL forum after all, I admit I was sort of rooting for the Pack, from a divisional point of view, but I think it was just as well the Pack got packed into a drum and beaten. Just keeps pointing to an epic Week 17 showdown for the division up at the CLink. Both teams have to take care of business in the meantime.

That Ravens-Niners game will be fascinating for sure. I don't have a prediction. Irresistible force meets immovable object. Which one gives? Baltimore has the D to shut down the 49ers O, and they have the running game and mobile QB to pound the ball down the field on anyone, I suspect including the 49ers D. But will that be how the game turns out? 49ers D has so much athleticism, it will be tougher on young Mr. Jackson to run wild on them than probably any other team he's seen.

No interest in Kittle what-if love or Kittle-Dissly comparisons. Last I checked, Kittle and Dissly never lined up against each other. Now that Kittle is back on the field and looks like that will be ongoing, he is relevant.

Our Niner posters on this board are mostly an entertaining and fair bunch, and it's almost always interesting hearing another perspective on our team and our players, especially when it's sincere and reasonably informed, as it usually is, with the better posters on here. And that post with the pic of Erin on the ground under multiple 49ers and the Allstate/State Farm theme... priceless!

Mike Shanahan, er his son Kyle, has some pretty good NFL coaching tree roots. The only other coach that has beaten young Kyle so far this year is that crusty old fossil, you know the one everyone says the game has passed him by, um what's his name, oh yeah Pete Carroll. Clearly there is some good coaching going on down in the Bay area.

One other theme for the Ravens game... it's the Niners, a former Harbaugh team, against another Harbaugh team. Not sure that's even a factor, other than the fact that John Harbaugh is a pretty good coach.

I don't mind 49ers fans celebrating. I do mind trolling little twits who wouldn't take their medicine when it was given dropping in with a heaping helping of $h!t like nothing happened two weeks ago. NINEster deserved every spoonful of crow we fed him, and still more.

It's guys like you that make it hard to be nice.

And you've been banned from the WZ for trolling which makes your hatred for me a projection of what you hate in yourself. And thus I will have to hate that in myself too :irishdrinkers:

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":38saibg9 said:
Maulbert":38saibg9 said:
olyfan63":38saibg9 said:
Why wouldn't 49er fans drop in to celebrate a little here after a Beat-Down of Erin and the mighty Packers? It's the NFL forum after all, I admit I was sort of rooting for the Pack, from a divisional point of view, but I think it was just as well the Pack got packed into a drum and beaten. Just keeps pointing to an epic Week 17 showdown for the division up at the CLink. Both teams have to take care of business in the meantime.

That Ravens-Niners game will be fascinating for sure. I don't have a prediction. Irresistible force meets immovable object. Which one gives? Baltimore has the D to shut down the 49ers O, and they have the running game and mobile QB to pound the ball down the field on anyone, I suspect including the 49ers D. But will that be how the game turns out? 49ers D has so much athleticism, it will be tougher on young Mr. Jackson to run wild on them than probably any other team he's seen.

No interest in Kittle what-if love or Kittle-Dissly comparisons. Last I checked, Kittle and Dissly never lined up against each other. Now that Kittle is back on the field and looks like that will be ongoing, he is relevant.

Our Niner posters on this board are mostly an entertaining and fair bunch, and it's almost always interesting hearing another perspective on our team and our players, especially when it's sincere and reasonably informed, as it usually is, with the better posters on here. And that post with the pic of Erin on the ground under multiple 49ers and the Allstate/State Farm theme... priceless!

Mike Shanahan, er his son Kyle, has some pretty good NFL coaching tree roots. The only other coach that has beaten young Kyle so far this year is that crusty old fossil, you know the one everyone says the game has passed him by, um what's his name, oh yeah Pete Carroll. Clearly there is some good coaching going on down in the Bay area.

One other theme for the Ravens game... it's the Niners, a former Harbaugh team, against another Harbaugh team. Not sure that's even a factor, other than the fact that John Harbaugh is a pretty good coach.

I don't mind 49ers fans celebrating. I do mind trolling little twits who wouldn't take their medicine when it was given dropping in with a heaping helping of $h!t like nothing happened two weeks ago. NINEster deserved every spoonful of crow we fed him, and still more.

And you've been banned from the WZ for trolling which makes your hatred for me a projection of what you hate in yourself. And thus I will have to hate that in myself too :irishdrinkers:

Again, I was never banned. I was on my best behavior there. Don't you dare lie about me. :141847_bnono:

Washington49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":uxqtquzo said:
NINEster":uxqtquzo said:
Maulbert":uxqtquzo said:
olyfan63":uxqtquzo said:

Again, I was never banned. I was on my best behavior there. Don't you dare lie about me. :141847_bnono:

As much as I hate to say it, he wasn't banned and he is actually still in good standing at the webzone :pukeface: . Check his profile.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":279d66qz said:
Maulbert":279d66qz said:
NINEster":279d66qz said:
Maulbert":279d66qz said:

As much as I hate to say it, he wasn't banned and he is actually still in good standing at the webzone :pukeface: . Check his profile.

I genuinely believe in being a good guest, believe it or not. Why do you think I defend Marv and the others so much? You think it's because they're sycophantic. It's because they know where they are. I'm only hard on opposing fans who come in here like they own the place.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I had to re-read the thread to pick up NINEster's perceived offense(s). There's always the "Foes" setting to ignore and not even see the posts that might have triggering content from perceived trolls in either fanbase. So as to avoid feeding them. So far, I've only ever seriously contemplated using the Foes setting for one or two annoying Hawk fan posters.

However, Maulbert's avatar threatens to give me motion sickness every time I see that head bouncing back and forth. I'll just take some motion sickness pills and cope.

Dissly vs. Kittle? Who can be on IR or PUP more? Why clearly Dissly is superior on that measure, at least this season. That settles that. I'm just hoping to get Dissly back in good form for next season. Ifs and buts, candy and nuts, if my aunt had nuts she'd be my 10-0 uncle. It's just hard to get worked up about that shit, when there are so many other far more interesting storylines, and so many tough games ahead, and so many opportunities for stumbles by either team if they don't keep their focus. I think it might be time to shift the focus to the S.F. vs Ravens thread that surely must be created by now. What a beat-down of the Rams on Monday night. Against a Wade Phillips defense. Wowzer.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1k4lgv6g said:
Seahawkfan80":1k4lgv6g said:
Honest question for you and Marvin, What do you think the game will be like if there is inclement weather in Baltimore next weekend? I think their stadium is open air. I dont mean to derail this thread, but curiosity lurked in me.

Not asked of me directly, but inclement weather is always a benefit to the inferior team. It adds variance to games, and increased variance means the inferior team has a better shot (for an extreme example see the 9ers/Washington game played in a swimming pool earlier this year).

My *guess* (read: I don't actually know if this is true or not) is that bad weather elevates the run offense/defense element of match ups.

I think both of those things would benefit the Ravens (9ers seem to maybe be a slightly better team, but they've been struggling of late in the run game and with stopping the run, whereas Ravens are the reverse).
-snip-

Great overall response, as usual.
"bad weather elevates the run offense/defense element of match ups."
"inclement weather is always a benefit to the inferior team. It adds variance to games, and increased variance means the inferior team has a better shot"

I would emphasize the first of those statements as being the *most* true.
In 2018, the Air Raid offense Washington State Cougars of Mike Leach and their undersized defense hosted the power-running Washington Huskies for the Pac-12 conference championship. The weather was basically a blizzard, starting a few minutes into the game. It pretty much grounded the Air Raid offense; receivers couldn't cut sharply on the slippery footing, and downfield receivers were hard to see in the blur of snowfall, and wet footballs were harder to catch and hold. Even with Gardner Minshew as the QB, WSU couldn't pass worth a darn, and did not have a strong running game to fall back on. UW and their power running game dominated the matchup. In "normal" weather and field conditions, it would have been a very interesting matchup, with an unpredictable outcome. Bad weather largely wiped out the offense of the pass-oriented team.

IMO, bad weather might slightly favor the Ravens. Or it might be a wash as both teams have very strong running games. I tend to think it would be a wash for this matchup. What it would for sure change: Game will be ugly and lower scoring than a game played in normal weather. Not sure it changes the eventual outcome.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1svb0fi3 said:
NINEster":1svb0fi3 said:
You guys think the refs were pro SF on that drive?

They were pro NFL on that drive. They saw the writing and fixed it.
Were they pro SF on this drive?

Bosa held on fumble play

Of course this blatant hold that wasn't called was on the Packers' very first drive when Bosa recovered the fumble.

You see what you want to see.

=============

Maulbert":1svb0fi3 said:
olyfan63":1svb0fi3 said:

Those who talked unreasonable shit, maybe. But for the rest, in a game like that there really is no room for anyone to talk shit. That was an epic game decided in the final seconds. That's a hero kind of game, where the two gladiators ought to show respect to one another, as should their fans.

Unless there were loudmouth asshats talking smack prior. Those fools always deserve their crow.

^IMHO of course.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":120fmspp said:
5_Golden_Rings":120fmspp said:
olyfan63":120fmspp said:

The Ravens have exactly what gives the 49ers problems: a mobile QB and a defense that can play a 46-like defense, with five or six on the line and the SS in the box.

The 49ers do play a lot more zone than New England does, so maybe that will help with stopping the Ravens exotic run game since more eyes will be on the line, but that's the kind of offense that is impossible to stop when it gets in rhythm. As for their defense, it's better now than it was at the start of the game. The Rams should have never traded that cornerback. Now the Ravens can more safely play the kind of blitzing and zone-blitzing defense they want more often.

Honest question for you and Marvin, What do you think the game will be like if there is inclement weather in Baltimore next weekend? I think their stadium is open air. I dont mean to derail this thread, but curiosity lurked in me.
That might benefit the 49ers, because I expect both teams to play it close to the vest, which will probably keep the Ravens from scoring 30 on them.

In clear weather, I honestly think the Ravens offense could really T-off. You've seen what Murray and that gadget offense was able to do to the 49ers. The Ravens do similar stuff except are much better at it.

========

nanomoz":120fmspp said:
I don't get why people are surprised. It's been a long time since Rodgers was good against good teams, especially on the road. And the Niners are a great team.
Rodgers has always struggled against teams that can rush four and still get pressure. I guess you could say that about most QBs, but it's been true for him since forever. I remember when they were like 15-1 and lost to the Giants. Same story.

=============

Maulbert":120fmspp said:
One other thing to temper excitement for our resident 49ers fans and nervousness for ourselves: the Packers also got rolled in San Diego. The only thing these games had in common is a west coast road trip. It's not always focused on as hard because there aren't nearly as many west coast teams as east coast, leading to far fewer trips, but eastern teams sometimes struggle heading west. With a rookie head coach, this struggle could definitely play into the Pukers performance last night, especially against a D as good as the Niners. Just some food for thought.
They also have in common the ability to pressure the QB with just their defensive line, as described above. Also, both teams have a Bosa. Don't underestimate that ingredient. :vodka:

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Inclement weather negates a lot of passing since the footing is less reliable it also negates players that are not considered power runners, power runner that keep their feet moving can still get yards more then what I call striders.

On defense it negates speed again due to the change of direction of guys get to places faster and can adjust on the fly their direction. You have to play with your feet under you a lot more so the guys that are lighter and faster have problems at the point of contact as well.

This is where I think the 49ers may have issues if they play in bad weather, on paper the Seahawks should do well in this situation but our ball security issues has created problems more when it rains, we are getting into snow season and yes they clear fields but that only works pre game not during the game and not all fields have warmers in their turf grid like the Packers so the turf still can freeze.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
chris98251":37ihu2my said:
Inclement weather negates a lot of passing since the footing is less reliable it also negates players that are not considered power runners, power runner that keep their feet moving can still get yards more then what I call striders.

On defense it negates speed again due to the change of direction of guys get to places faster and can adjust on the fly their direction. You have to play with your feet under you a lot more so the guys that are lighter and faster have problems at the point of contact as well.

This is where I think the 49ers may have issues if they play in bad weather, on paper the Seahawks should do well in this situation but our ball security issues has created problems more when it rains, we are getting into snow season and yes they clear fields but that only works pre game not during the game and not all fields have warmers in their turf grid like the Packers so the turf still can freeze.
With respect to the 49ers and the Ravens, anything that slows the game down is a benefit to the 49ers, since in clear weather I suspect a Ravens blowout is possible.

Latest posts