Sad

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":znoswkmr said:
Since we won the S. Bowl, other NFL fans have been saying we are a bunch of band wagon fans. Now we lose a game, granted badly and people are bitchin and moanin, well maybe there are some bandwagon fans. But I have been a fan of the Hawks since 1976...I ain't changin, trust me they could/have been a lot worse! Kinda makes me sad that maybe the other fans had us pegged!

I wouldn't sweat that stuff. Every single team in the world has band wagon fans.

There are just those types of fans out there who jump onto whoever the latest trending team is.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why can't fans just let fans be fans, however that's defined to them?

A lot of fragile egos out there in the NFL fanbase world.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":amp9c490 said:
Since we won the S. Bowl, other NFL fans have been saying we are a bunch of band wagon fans. Now we lose a game, granted badly and people are bitchin and moanin, well maybe there are some bandwagon fans. But I have been a fan of the Hawks since 1976...I ain't changin, trust me they could/have been a lot worse! Kinda makes me sad that maybe the other fans had us pegged!

As others have said, Bandwagon means jumping on when the team is good and jumping off when the team is bad. We're still watching and people who are upset are because they are still on the wagon and know the team is capable of playing so much better. There's a difference between being a bandwagon fan and a homer.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Being a Hawk fan since the 70s, I never gave much thought to the potential for bandwagon fans. You don't know how many times I've been asked "why would anyone want to be a Seahawk fan if they don't have to be one"? The sad part is that question was a good one. For the most part, we sucked.

Now we have more Hawk fans here in Hawaii and worldwide. Obviously more fans in this forum, too.

Now that I know what band wagon fans look like (and act like), I don't much care for them. The reason is simple and it may be what bothers some of you as well; A generous portion of these types are not just new to our Hawks, they're new to the NFL. That's the main reason I don't care for them. They are only tolerable when we are winning...and just barely then. Without much knowledge of football itself, the typical commentary is "I saw RW at Seattle center and he was wearing a turtleneck sweater" or "Wilson is 10x better than Luck".

It only makes sense that when we have a hiccup, they have little to contribute. Instead, the sky is falling and we are perma-doomed. I'd like them more if they just bought the jersey, the coffee cup and stfu.

sc85sis

Reaction score
HawkFan72":26slbl4i said:
So "real" fans don't get upset after a loss?

OK...
To be fair, upset is one thing. Some people going from "Russell is elite and can do no wrong" to "Russell sucks" after one loss is a bit much.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":1b30r7dn said:
Complaining after a terrible loss does not make anyone a bandwagon fan.

The cowboys didn't beat us, we beat ourselves. That is a problem. If Pete and Bevell draw up gameplans similar to the one against the Cowboys then all our opponents need to do is put 11 men on the field and they win.

If it was just a case of guys having a bad game at the same time, then it would just be a reminder that everyone needs to bring their A game.

But no, this was a case of the guys with offices doing such a bad job that the guys on the field needed a bunch of points giftwrapped to them just to be in the game.

Yes, the guys on the field failed to execute, but they failed to execute a horrible gameplan that was destined to fail.

I guess "real" fans are supposed to ignore that...

Mick063

Reaction score
People that are emotionally invested will express their thoughts.....good or bad.

Conversely, people that are not emotionally invested will not express their thoughts.....good or bad.

If fans of another team expresses their thoughts here, they are emotionally invested in another team to the point of expressing such thoughts to the fans of this team.

In other words, fans are emotionally invested and non fans are not emotionally invested.

This axiom may be expanded further. Fans of the Seattle Seahawks are emotionally invested in the Seattle Seahawks and not invested in another team

Which also provides the converse. Non fans of the Seattle Seahawks are not emotionally invested in the Seattle Seahawks, but they may be invested in another team.

Finally, there is the third group of people that cannot be considered fans at all because they are not emotionally invested in any team.

Having pointed out these obvious, logical axioms of fandom, what is the OP's point?

Is he proposing a new law of fandom? I would like to see the proof before adding it to the existing laws of fandom.

Brahn

Reaction score
Post like this are summed up quickly

If you are a fan after 1976 you are a Band Wagon Fan
If you were a fan since 1976 you are a hipster

Why can't some of you just embrace all Hawks fans as Hawk fans?

What is this false sense of "Entitlement" some get based on how long they have followed an NFL Franchise.

“Give me your Loud, your Proud,
Your Jacked Up masses yearning to Scream free,
The Winning refuse of your Sea Town shore.
Send these, the Passionate, Loyal, to me:
I lift my 12 Flag beside the Lombardi.”

― Emma Lazarus (If she was a 12) By BraHn

drdiags

Reaction score
Not buying the "Cowboys didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" line. Sounds like excuse making. The team got beat. Why dis-respect the other team's effort by trying to sugar-coat the loss. Every team's fan can play that card. Sounds like Broncos fans when trying to deal with the SB loss.

Not sure what is up with folks that want to make excuses all the time. You lost, move on.

EDIT: Dang spelling stinks!

Ozzy

Reaction score
The whole bandwagon fans argument is almost always brought up by band wagon fans themselves. It's usually a Dallas, Niner, Packers fan that brings it up and ironically, almost to a tee, these fans have no real ties to the team they picked other than jumping on when they were good. I personally love that people locally are getting excited about the team. I hope more jump on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":3bihxp64 said:
The whole bandwagon fans argument is almost always brought up by band wagon fans themselves. It's usually a Dallas, Niner, Packers fan that brings it up and ironically, almost to a tee, these fans have no real ties to the team they picked other than jumping on when they were good. I personally love that people locally are getting excited about the team. I hope more jump on.

I think the OP is confused about what a bandwagon fan is.

He's saying that because we're being critical of the loss Sunday, that equates to jumping off the bandwagon. Which it doesn't.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Righting the ship as we speak. I have a facebook account I use for 100% Hawks/NFL related banter and have over 10,000 friends and whao, there are a lot of bandwagon fans on social media. Hawks are 3-2, not 0-5. People may have some valid frustrations. They could chill out JUST A TAD but they have the right to speak even if its mostly drivel.

:pukeface:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36f3ymy2 said:
austinslater25":36f3ymy2 said:

He's saying that because we're being critical of the loss Sunday, that equates to jumping off the bandwagon. Which it doesn't.
Correct.
I think what irritates a lot of fans around here, is the fact that we feel that we are ABOVE being petty about a loss, and especially at home.
Every single fan base has people who range from wussy light to hard core and everything in between.
Some here are embarrassed by the fans who implode over a loss, ESPECIALLY when they know that there are fans from the team who just got the "W" that come here to get their jollies, and yes, we too have fans that like to visit their fan forums to see how a loss by their beloved teams, crushes their egos.
I don't go to other fan base forums and expect them to be completely objective, because despite what they might say, for the most part, they are no different than most folks around here, and they are there to support those who are akin to the fandom of THEIR teams.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
sc85sis":1wbnv7ey said:
HawkFan72":1wbnv7ey said:
So "real" fans don't get upset after a loss?

OK...
To be fair, upset is one thing. Some people going from "Russell is elite and can do no wrong" to "Russell sucks" after one loss is a bit much.

I was going specifically off the "people are bitchin and moanin" quote in the OP.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qlnxijp said:
austinslater25":1qlnxijp said:

Agreed.