Salary Cap expected to be higher than $132 million

Jville

Reaction score
DavidSeven":166a1epw said:
This helps teams who are up against the cap and have key decisions to make immediately. This is less helpful for teams that have loads of cap space and no crucial FAs/extension decisions. For example, this bump is a lot more helpful for us now than it would've been two years ago.

Contract values are generally set by similar players who signed their deals last year. Eventually, those values will go up since there's more money to spend, but I feel there will be a one-to-two year lag in which that really takes effect. Average salaries probably won't balloon until 2016. Hopefully, by then, we'll have all our key guys locked up on multi-year deals.

This helps us.
Yes it does.

Seattle also needs to rebuild it's cap buffer in addition to making key decisions on who to invest in as core leadership players.

CANHawk

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":2v590urj said:
Sgt. Largent":2v590urj said:
Beer Hawk":2v590urj said:
Per PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 2-million/

Honestly I think this hurts our chances at retaining Bennett. Nothing to stop some team like GB that already had a ton of cap room from overpaying on the first couple years of a deal.

Every team gets the extra 2-3 Million, so how does that help teams like GB and not teams like Seattle? It's the same, if GB can now offer more, so can we.

That is going to help New Orleans a ton.

How? Are they going to use the extra money to actually sign some good players? Or are they going to go in a different direction and just give it all to "I'm Jimmy"?

(sorry. I'm can't help myself sometimes :p )

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
CANHawk":3jmc3wac said:
How? Are they going to use the extra money to actually sign some good players? Or are they going to go in a different direction and just give it all to "I'm Jimmy"?

(sorry. I'm can't help myself sometimes :p )

That's right, you CAN't.

;)

Seriously, Graham is a key player that this will help with, as well as Strief at RT and Jenkins at FS.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Actually, a possible $132 mil cap is great news. I wonder how much Jerry Jones is pulling strings under the table to make this happen with Dallas being the only team in Cap Hell right now.

It makes Okung's 11.24 cap hit a little bit more tolerable.

It wouldn't surprise me if the league settled at $135mil and then bring it to a permanent $150 mil in 2015.

How much time do they have to decide to set the cap ceiling?... I feel like they have to set it soon because it hampers the cap constricted teams ability to re-sign their own guys if they don't know what its going to be.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":28wk55m2 said:
Sgt. Largent":28wk55m2 said:
Beer Hawk":28wk55m2 said:

Honestly I think this hurts our chances at retaining Bennett. Nothing to stop some team like GB that already had a ton of cap room from overpaying on the first couple years of a deal.

Every team gets the extra 2-3 Million, so how does that help teams like GB and not teams like Seattle? It's the same, if GB can now offer more, so can we.

I think this is why the cap is going up this year so much. Teams are getting to the point that they can't keep anyone. The owners are finally at a point they want it to go up(or at least a substantial enough portion) so go up it will. Its been basically flat for what three years now? Owners are killing it with the rookie contracts and lack of big deals for veterans that aren't QB's. I would imagine many veterans weren't too happy to get low deals when promised to get paid with the fixed rookie salary.

jblaze

Reaction score
The reason the cap is going up is because the new CBA is resulting in owners pulling in more than $30m per year more. Roughly $1B a year across the NFL. It's also the reason Goodell is making $44m a year. The new CBA is great for owners and it's trickling down to teams.

That's the reason for this year. Next year is tv contract money. They're setting a new baseline.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1feh6iww said:
AsylumGuido":1feh6iww said:
Sgt. Largent":1feh6iww said:
Beer Hawk":1feh6iww said:

I think this is why the cap is going up this year so much. Teams are getting to the point that they can't keep anyone. The owners are finally at a point they want it to go up(or at least a substantial enough portion) so go up it will. Its been basically flat for what three years now? Owners are killing it with the rookie contracts and lack of big deals for veterans that aren't QB's. I would imagine many veterans weren't too happy to get low deals when promised to get paid with the fixed rookie salary.

The owners have no say whatsoever in the salary cap. The cap is set by a formula defined in the CBA based upon league and team revenues.

The newest edition of the CBA has a term, "All Revenues" (AR), which pretty much includes all revenue streams. The CBA spells out the particulars over the course of about 10 pages, but in a nutshell the AR includes ticket sales, revenue from luxury box suites and premium seating, local and national broadcasting (TV/radio/Internet) royalties, concessions, parking, local advertising, stadium leasing, and merchandising. The AR is then divided into 3 distinct brackets: League Media (essentially revue from regular-season games), NFL Ventures/Post Season (self-explanatory) and Local (more or less revenue generated from preseason games). Now, for the part that you have been waiting for, the distribution of these revenues:

Projected AR x CBA Percentage = Players Share of AR. This is called the Player Cost Amount. For 2011, that amount is $4,556,800,000 (roughly $142.4 M per team).

Player Cost Amount minus Projected League wide Benefits = Amount Available for Player Salaries. For 2011, that amount is $3,852,000,000.

Amount Available for Player Salaries / Number of Teams = Unadjusted Salary Cap per Team. For 2011, that amount is (3,852,000,000/32 =) $120.375 M.

The CBA Percentage is as follows: Players receive 55% of AR (Media), 45% of AR (NFL Venture/Post Season) and 40% of AR (Local). Overall, the players receive between 47% and 48.5% of total revenue. More specifically, in years 2012-2014 the overall percentage is capped at 48%. For years 2015-2020 the percentage is capped at 48.5%.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't think this really helps us a bunch long-term. I don't think we can all of sudden sign another guy to big money for a long term deal. We've still a bunch of players that we have to save money for in 2015. This helps us immediately. IMO, what this does first is gets Earl done. More importantly, once the DE market dries up again in free agency like last year, this gives us a couple extra million to throw at somebody on another 1 year deal. It buys us a pass rush for another year while we try to sculpt Irvin and whoever else. Helps us find our new Michael Bennett. If Peppers, Jared Allen, maybe even Clemons can't get the deal they want, we can now say "hey Jared, why don't you come play in Seattle for a year for 7 million, contend for a ring, look good doing it, and then go get your deal next year." Sounds a lot sexier than trying to throw 4-5 mil at them.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
What it does IMO is allows us to keep players like miller rather than cut if we wish. Maybe franchise Bennett or our kicker.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Tical21":31eg1587 said:
I don't think this really helps us a bunch long-term. I don't think we can all of sudden sign another guy to big money for a long term deal. We've still a bunch of players that we have to save money for in 2015. This helps us immediately. IMO, what this does first is gets Earl done. More importantly, once the DE market dries up again in free agency like last year, this gives us a couple extra million to throw at somebody on another 1 year deal. It buys us a pass rush for another year while we try to sculpt Irvin and whoever else. Helps us find our new Michael Bennett. If Peppers, Jared Allen, maybe even Clemons can't get the deal they want, we can now say "hey Jared, why don't you come play in Seattle for a year for 7 million, contend for a ring, look good doing it, and then go get your deal next year." Sounds a lot sexier than trying to throw 4-5 mil at them.

It helps long term because you can afford to sign Thomas and Wilson and Sherman to big deals without destroying your cap or having to cut someone like Harvin or Okung. If the cap goes to 150 million from 132, does anyone worry if Wilson gets a 18-20 million dollar a year deal?

jblaze

Reaction score
I could see us keeping Miller with this larger cap with a restructure as opposed to a cut. They're trying to retain as many players as possible.

The alternative is signing someone like Jermichael Finley to a 1 year prove it contract or going TE early in the draft with a Miller cut.

One thing seems apparent to me though, JS isn't making any moves until he knows exactly how much he has to work with. Even though it's been widely reported that Rice and Bryant are gone, the transactions haven't happened yet.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3b3wrp7o said:
Tical21":3b3wrp7o said:

It helps long term because you can afford to sign Thomas and Wilson and Sherman to big deals without destroying your cap or having to cut someone like Harvin or Okung. If the cap goes to 150 million from 132, does anyone worry if Wilson gets a 18-20 million dollar a year deal?
I get your point, and I think it accelerates the process for Earl, but I still think you're in a wait-and-see mode for Sherm and Russell next year. If the cap goes to 150 next year, we're dancing in the streets, but I don't think 132 is enough of a bump to get Sherm done this year.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think 132 gets ET and Sherm done. JS already had this planned out and it was thought that 126 was the number. If you look at ET's first year cap hit it would be about what he got last year so no big bump there. Sherman on the other hand would get a bigger bump from the 1.5m he got last year but this 6m covers that and then some.

My thought was that JS was ready to cut Bryant, Rice, Clemons and Miller. That would clear enough room to resign Bennett, Tate and restructure ET.

This 6m bump could go two ways, it could allow him to keep a guy he was going to cut or extend Sherman. This helps us a lot actually. We're going to be very good next year again.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd love to see a QB cap. Guys like Flacco signing for $20+? That's outrageous and it's now officially out of hand. No QB (no human) should require more than $15 mil per. Install such a cap and QBs, who are the heroes of most franchises, will be more likely to stay with the team that drafted them and that's only good for the brand / sport / fan base, IMO.

BTW, under my plan (and if I'm elected) non QBs will be capped at 10 mil. If the fear is the owners will then make too much. Not a problem. Ticket prices will be reduced so the average American family might be able to attend a game once in their life.

Vote for me. I'll set you free. Right on.

JMR

Reaction score
HawkWow":1t3hlmez said:
I'd love to see a QB cap. Guys like Flacco signing for $20+? That's outrageous and it's now officially out of hand. No QB (no human) should require more than $15 mil per. Install such a cap and QBs, who are the heroes of most franchises, will be more likely to stay with the team that drafted them and that's only good for the brand / sport / fan base, IMO.

BTW, under my plan (and if I'm elected) non QBs will be capped at 10 mil. If the fear is the owners will then make too much. Not a problem. Ticket prices will be reduced so the average American family might be able to attend a game once in their life.

Vote for me. I'll set you free. Right on.
The league dictating to teams how they can use their cap dollars? I don't want some system in place that helps protect short-sighted GMs who mismanage their resources, reducing the advantage smart GMs like JS have by doing it better. This is a competition, after all. Sorry but my vote is going somewhere else on this one.

Sac

Reaction score
I say change the terms of the franchise tag. If a franchise tag is applied to a player, the team can pay that one player whatever it takes to keep him, but the cap hit is only as much as the average starter at that position.