Salary Cap expected to rise by 7m

CANHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3b502lgz said:
JonRud":3b502lgz said:
I'm not sure this really helps the Hawks more than any other team. To me it just means the players will want more money now that the cap is higher - so maybe Bennett wants $12mil/year instead of $10mil/year.

If the cap rises equally for every team then the salaries should rise in conjunction - I don't know if this really gives the Hawks any advantage.

Looks like somebody paid attention in Econ class and understands how inflation works!

That said, the equal percentage rise in price is only true for flexible prices. Because of existing fixed contracts, it is likely salaries won't rise for everybody by an equal percentage this year. This salary cap increase will likely affect positions differently - specifically positions in need by teams under the salary cap. Whether that's Dline or not, I don't pay enough attention to know for sure. Somebody else here might be able to make a guess.

I would presume also that the Suggs deal will have a pretty big impact on what Bennett can get too. Maybe it's just over, maybe it's just under but I suspect the ballpark has been set.

Exactly the point I was going to make. Seeing as how we have several players already locked up, that difference between those existing contracts and the new cap gives us a little more room to manuver than we thought we had. It's no silver bullett that's going to solve all our problems, but it definitely helps.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ka1cggo said:
it's a 5% increase so it's not like it's a huge increase for player salaries.

For example if Golden Tate was set to make 5m a year, even if he scaled up directly, that's still only 5.25m. Compared to 7m more cap dollars it's not a huge bump. The market is going to be the market, this doesn't change it dramatically.

Just to clarify for everyone who may not know. The $7 million figure is how much the increase is over the 2013 salary cap. Most had estimated 2014 cap to be around $3 million higher and that's the figure that has been used by teams GMs when estimating what cap they were going to have and players when contemplating their salary possibilities this off season. This released figure adds $4 million to that number.

So, basically there is now $7 million more than there was last year, but only $4 million more than players and management had planned for.

jblaze

Reaction score
This is great news for the Hawks who were up against the cap with several FA's to sign.

This, along with the excellent draft class and flooded FA market due to cap casualties, should keep prices down on UFA's for a second year.

This should work out pretty well for us. The new CBA is working well for teams/ownership, not so much for players.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's going to go up next season as well with the TNF deal

Interesting argument about players asking for more money though.. I could see it happening in that manner or the opposite in that now they will take their fair deal to allow another player the same luxury.

We'll see though.

jblaze

Reaction score
The market dictates the terms, not the salary cap and history shows that. This new CBA has a lot to do with that as well. Supply is high in this FA market so demand will be relatively low as the CBA allows you to get cheap replacement talent in this loaded draft.

If FA's wait too long, they'll notice the market will dry up and it will be worse for them. If they're smart, they'll set the curve, not be set by the curve.

CANHawk

Reaction score
jblaze":2dkocmvs said:
This is great news for the Hawks who were up against the cap with several FA's to sign.

This, along with the excellent draft class and flooded FA market due to cap casualties, should keep prices down on UFA's for a second year.

This should work out pretty well for us. The new CBA is working well for teams/ownership, not so much for players.

This is something important to always keep in mind. It's not like we're the only team in the league that's up against the cap that will have to make cuts. There are going to be several quality players floating free and only a small amount of teams that will have the available cheddar (or inclanation to spend said cheddar) to sign them to rockstar contracts. The non-rockstars are going to sign for much more realistic contracts and I'm sure we'll be able to backfill nicely for our dearly departed FA's with some of those guys...unless of course Oakland signs them ALL ($64m in cap space... yowza!).

A

Anonymous

kidhawk":bvgjxoiw said:
Hawknballs":bvgjxoiw said:

For example if Golden Tate was set to make 5m a year, even if he scaled up directly, that's still only 5.25m. Compared to 7m more cap dollars it's not a huge bump. The market is going to be the market, this doesn't change it dramatically.

Just to clarify for everyone who may not know. The $7 million figure is how much the increase is over the 2013 salary cap. Most had estimated 2014 cap to be around $3 million higher and that's the figure that has been used by teams GMs when estimating what cap they were going to have and players when contemplating their salary possibilities this off season. This released figure adds $4 million to that number.

So, basically there is now $7 million more than there was last year, but only $4 million more than players and management had planned for.

... and $7 million we have no stinking idea what they are going to do with yet.

(user gives-off a audible grunt, and trudges back out to the shop...)

CANHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1fiujlbx said:
kidhawk":1fiujlbx said:
Hawknballs":1fiujlbx said:

... and $7 million we have no stinking idea what they are going to do with yet.

(user gives-off a audible grunt, and trudges back out to the shop...)

I miss having a shop to trudge back off to. I only have assholes in cubicles to yell at now.

A

Anonymous

You can still do some quality trudging though. Saves your voice for September...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2b1oizlj said:
How do you get the 7M figure from this article?

130M - 123M = 7M

Good news, but none of this has been released yet by the NFL, so we'll see.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1x55joh4 said:
They just said on NFL Radio that the $130 million cap number is about $4 million more of a raise than expected.

But the original raise was over 2million from 2013 cap figures-- which was roughly 123 million- now it's closer to 130 million. That's a big deal.

Should allow you to sign 2 players without any effects-- like Baldwin and Tate if they were so inclined.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tom Pellisero, USA Today's sports writer quoted Chris Spielman as saying;

Based on what he has heard, Spielman said he expects the cap to fall under $130M. "It's not going to be a significant increase."

This is more in line with what most people have been saying, that this year's increase will be small, and that the big increase will come next year with the new TV deals.

jblaze

Reaction score
GM's were working under the assumption provided by the NFL of a conservative number of $126m. So this is not some $7m revelation, it's closer to a $4m bump but since it was a conservative number, most believed it would be somewhere between 127-129.

I also think $130m is a rumor, it will be a bit lower than that in the end.

This won't affect signings such as Tate or Bennett. Those costs have already been figured in by JS in my opinion. What this will affect is that they may now be able to extend Thomas AND Sherman.

Otherwise they were looking at a 2014 at Sherman's rookie contract number, a franchise tag in 2015 (10-11m) and him walking in 2016 potentially. There's a concern that Sherman wants to top Revis' contract which is insane because he's $16m a year and none of it is guaranteed. The next CB's in line are all making 9-10m. So if you franchise tag Sherman, it's still for less than he'd get in an extension so it's a net savings based on comparables. Then if he walks, you essentially get the best CB in the league for 4 seasons (2012-2015) for an average of 3.3m a year (700k X 3 + 11m). At that point he'd be 28 and a year or two from decline and you let someone else pay him big $.

It's cutthroat but it makes perfect sense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jblaze":md22iknc said:
The market dictates the terms, not the salary cap and history shows that. This new CBA has a lot to do with that as well. Supply is high in this FA market so demand will be relatively low as the CBA allows you to get cheap replacement talent in this loaded draft.

If FA's wait too long, they'll notice the market will dry up and it will be worse for them. If they're smart, they'll set the curve, not be set by the curve.

This is basically what I wanted to say but written much better. Great post.

Latest posts