Sarkisian checks into rehab; USC fires him Monday

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not sure if sc85sis can verify this, but my guy that's pretty well connected to the program (ex-USC player that played under Pete when Lane and Sark were there) says options A, B, C, D, and E are Chip Kelly. Basically they're going to give him the full court press with hopes he will jump back to college a la Saban.

If Kelly declines, could be a really weird search.

drrew

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":lctaqzlq said:
Not sure if sc85sis can verify this, but my guy that's pretty well connected to the program (ex-USC player that played under Pete when Lane and Sark were there) says options A, B, C, D, and E are Chip Kelly. Basically they're going to give him the full court press with hopes he will jump back to college a la Saban.

For their sake, they better hope option F is someone really good.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":irc0z4wf said:
Hasselbeck":irc0z4wf said:

For their sake, they better hope option F is someone really good.

My guess for next USC coach is jack del rio.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":13gilwhj said:

I was surprised when they hired Sark over Del Rio in the first place.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Why don't they just keep the interim coach? The players responded to him last time. And they seem positive again this time. Is he not a big enough name or something?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tough life for the guy I guess.He was getting paid for a job most of us wish we had but booze and women cost him.I hope he recovers to live a regular life because the one he had is over.I don't see any high profile team including the Hawks wanting to hire somebody who could go drunk any time just too much at stake for that.

drrew

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2mg47ecr said:
Tough life for the guy I guess.He was getting paid for a job most of us wish we had but booze and women cost him.I hope he recovers to live a regular life because the one he had is over.I don't see any high profile team including the Hawks wanting to hire somebody who could go drunk any time just too much at stake for that.

Perhaps, but Scot McCloughlan had alcohol issues here in Seattle and was out of the league for all of 8 months before getting the Redskins GM job.

Sarks issue, and the role as coach are clearly more public, but I could see him showing up as an NFL QB coach (somewhere other than LA or Seattle) next season.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":qrpxrqhj said:
Why don't they just keep the interim coach? The players responded to him last time. And they seem positive again this time. Is he not a big enough name or something?

Only way they hire Helton is if USC wins out and does so in very impressive fashion.

USC wants a big name

JSeahawks":qrpxrqhj said:

I really don't think he leaves Oakland so soon. The Raiders aren't as hopeless as they've been in recent years.

chris98251

Reaction score
Haden has had Kiffen and now Sark, he needs a stainless bullet proof hire to keep his job.

Richard could be a target. Going from DC to a Head Coach in college isn't a stretch. Pete would support him as well.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
chris98251":7p2x3d0b said:
Haden has had Kiffen and now Sark, he needs a stainless bullet proof hire to keep his job.

Richard could be a target. Going from DC to a Head Coach in college isn't a stretch. Pete would support him as well.

Sounds like Pat Haden is dead set on an offensive coach:
As to your question about why Haden didn't hire Jack, this comment from Haden in a recent Q&A with Steve Bisheff indicates one reason, as that's the fact that Haden was looking for an offensive minded coach:

''The game has changed a lot in recent years. People want us to play the way Coach McKay and Coach Robinson played, and you can’t. This is just a different era. Believe me, I’ve studied this, and the top five indicators of winning football the past five years are all on offense. Look at Ohio State. They won the national championship and their defense wasn’t that good. Check their stats. You’ll see.''
http://niketalk.com/t/634042/official-2 ... hread/5940

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2zs9u6dc said:
chris98251":2zs9u6dc said:

As to your question about why Haden didn't hire Jack, this comment from Haden in a recent Q&A with Steve Bisheff indicates one reason, as that's the fact that Haden was looking for an offensive minded coach:

''The game has changed a lot in recent years. People want us to play the way Coach McKay and Coach Robinson played, and you can’t. This is just a different era. Believe me, I’ve studied this, and the top five indicators of winning football the past five years are all on offense. Look at Ohio State. They won the national championship and their defense wasn’t that good. Check their stats. You’ll see.''

So he is negating everything Pete did at USC?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Can't confirm or deny the interest in Chip but I'd be surprised if it were true because of the show cause he got before heading to Philly. USC still doesn't even have a full roster of scholarship players, so hiring a coach with that past would be awfully risky. Hard to say for sure though. Boosters definitely seem to want a big name.

Haden supposedly will be gone after this year too, as much for health reasons as anything else. I'm kind of surprised he stuck around this year.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
chris98251":bbkihajo said:
hawknation2015":bbkihajo said:
chris98251":bbkihajo said:

So he is negating everything Pete did at USC?

Yup, I guess we should consider ourselves fortunate. Richard is unlikely to be selected as long as Haden is the AD. They will probably choose someone else like Sark or Lane Kiffin: Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, or maybe even make their interim HC/OC permanent. Hey, maybe someone could sell them on Darrell Bevell!

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chris98251":1pyjddwo said:

There is zero chance they hire another coach from the Pete coaching tree.

It's going to be a big named coach. If not Chip, then someone everyone has heard of.

hawknation2015":1pyjddwo said:
Yup, I guess we should consider ourselves fortunate. Richard is unlikely to be selected as long as Haden is the AD. They will probably choose someone else like Sark or Lane Kiffin: Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, or maybe even make their interim HC/OC permanent. Hey, maybe someone could sell them on Darrell Bevell!

Really doubt they look at Fuente or a guy like Dino Babers (another mid-major coach that will get chatter)

Herman is a remote possibility, just because of what he did under Urban Meyer.. but from what I have heard and what everyone else is reporting.. USC is going after a big name this time.

Think of this opening like the Alabama gig when Mike Shula flopped after the horrid Mike Price hire.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2uzeaz3l said:
Heard a few "in the know" types mention Kevin sumlin as a possibility, if they can pry him away from a&m.

Yep. Have heard he was very high on their list 2 years ago but he elected to stay at TAMU.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/insidetroy/status/653990549888741376[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ScottEnyeart/status/653991117185159168[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry/status/653989187461382144[/tweet]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I liked the part during Pat Haden's press conference where he said he still thought Sarkisian was a good coach. Yup, they're screwed if Haden is making the decision again.