Seahawks' Best Hands?

D

DomeHawk

1/4 of the way through the season here are the stats for percentage of catches based on targets. Yes, I know, there are innumerable scenarios that can skew these stats but this is just a breakdown of what has happened so far and I think most would agree that this is pretty much what they have seen also.

Will Dissly – 86% 19 of 22 https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/31 ... ill-dissly

Tyler Lockett – 81% 26 of 32 https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/25 ... er-lockett

DK Metcalf – 43% 10 of 23 https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4047650/dk-metcalf

Malik Turner 83% (limited sample, only 6 targets) https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/31 ... lik-turner

Jaron Browm – 67% (limited sample, only 9 targets) https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16172/jaron-brown

David Moore – 50% (limited sample, only 4 targets) https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/42 ... avid-moore

ivotuk

Reaction score
John Schneider talking about watching Will Dissly at Huskies Practice: "You can't hear the ball hitting his hands."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hell yeah, uncle Will in the house.

For a position group that most of us were REALLY nervous about going into the season, I'm liking how this group is rounding out. With the emergence of Metcalf, Dissly and Brown back and playing well, it's given Russell more options and forcing teams to not just bracket Tyler anymore.

sutz

Reaction score
We don't throw enought to tolerate receivers that have a lot of drops. On the more pass happy teams, it seems to be OK. Remember how we all loved Darryl Jackson, but he could drop some at maddenly bad times. ;)

Lovie seeing guys in the 80% range. :2thumbs:

HawkerD

Reaction score
I don't think these stats based on catchable balls, just targets and receptions. Can't really make a determination regarding good or bad hands. Right now, by the eye test, I haven't seen anything jump out that would have me question a guys hands. DK has had a few route running issues that caused his number to drop as well as being thrown some highly contestable balls.

chris98251

Reaction score
Deep routes will have less chance of success which is what we have used Lockett and Metcalf on I think more then the rest, if you reel back yardage depth I would bet receptions are higher per target.

Why Dissley is high, mid field and bigger target along with delayed routes into space because of his blocking.

Not taking away anything from him he has been a blessing for this team and Wilson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":id1rh9gh said:
I don't think these stats based on catchable balls, just targets and receptions. Can't really make a determination regarding good or bad hands. Right now, by the eye test, I haven't seen anything jump out that would have me question a guys hands. DK has had a few route running issues that caused his number to drop as well as being thrown some highly contestable balls.

The only one that's a little concerning is Lockett, he's had a couple drops this year.......and had zero last year.

But I'd say last year was more of an aberration than this year. WR's drop balls from time to time, even the best.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Seahawks have been "credited" for 3 dropped passes this season; Tyler with 2 and Carson with 1.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

HawkerD":3u771nn1 said:

The "best hands" title may be a bit misleading but it is also based upon actual events, not could'ves or would'ves. I think they bare out what we all know,i.e., that Dissly and Lockett are far and away our most reliable receivers.

As for DK, some of his "highly contestable balls" are a direct result of not being able to create space or use that big body to block out. DK is still very raw, those who thought he was going to be an all-pro right out of the gate were naive at best. We all hope he will continue to develop but if he doesn't look for his targets to continue to diminish.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/10/1/20 ... cking-data

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd go with Dissly hands down.

DK's opportunities are a bit of a double edged sword. His targets are mostly lower percentage targets. His route tree is pretty much the 9. Not necessarily that I think that's all he can do. But the actual routes he's being asked to run is almost exclusively the 9. You can tell that pro DB/DCs are down with our route tendencies and corners are taking that away.

No amount of improving/learning how to box out is going to account for a DB who absolutely knows what is coming. And it's worth mentioning that Pete may well shake up his route calls at any given game and DK could have a breakout performance. We've seen Seattle do that frequently at other positions. Kind of slow walk a player until taking the wraps off them for a specific game or matchup.

DK isn't, nor shouldn't be expected to be, a pro caliber route runner. Despite that, I can't imagine he'll see the same number of targets he's seen with a target to catch ratio like that.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Attyla the Hawk":2wlmhyf5 said:
DK isn't, nor shouldn't be expected to be, a pro caliber route runner.

An early-round NFL wide receiver draftee should absolutely be expected to be a "pro caliber" route runner.

toffee

Reaction score
DK’s reception rate wasn’t good at Ole Miss, still sub par at this point. Hoping that he will improve as the season goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Many of the throws to DK have been "50/50 balls" but they've been under thrown. Russ needs to put more air on them and give him a chance to block out. Tough to block out when you are coming back to the ball that is at or below chest level. I feel like he's playing defender half the time. I put more of this on Russ than DK.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

falcongoggles":30poemj7 said:
Many of the throws to DK have been "50/50 balls" but they've been under thrown. Russ needs to put more air on them and give him a chance to block out. Tough to block out when you are coming back to the ball that is at or below chest level. I feel like he's playing defender half the time. I put more of this on Russ than DK.

Doesn't it seem odd that he is experiencing this but none of the other receivers are?

blazen2392

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2tybvshl said:
falcongoggles":2tybvshl said:

Doesn't it seem odd that he is experiencing this but none of the other receivers are?

He never really throws balls to anyone else unless he sees seperation besides Metcalf. He only trusts Metcalf for those 50/50 balls.

Just from what I observe Tyler and Dissly are always in space and usually have separation.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2ae9x3za said:

It’s not on anyone, it’s more about QB-WR chemistry. Russell had no issue hitting Lockett with the deep ball in the last couple of years. And he seems to always be on target with Dissly.

Whenever I see a QB seemingly have success with some receivers and not others, I blame it less on accuracy and more on chemistry

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1cn4pn8l said:

DK has to track the ball better. That first one against Arizona was completely on him. The ball was put where he could get it but he couldn't find the ball.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1tkpnjzt said:
HawkerD":1tkpnjzt said:

The "best hands" title may be a bit misleading but it is also based upon actual events, not could'ves or would'ves. I think they bare out what we all know,i.e., that Dissly and Lockett are far and away our most reliable receivers.

As for DK, some of his "highly contestable balls" are a direct result of not being able to create space or use that big body to block out. DK is still very raw, those who thought he was going to be an all-pro right out of the gate were naive at best. We all hope he will continue to develop but if he doesn't look for his targets to continue to diminish.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/10/1/20 ... cking-data

Can I see a show of hands of fans that thought DK Metcalf was going to be an "all-pro right out of the gate"?
I don't think I saw that take from anyone. I think at best we were hoping draft steal.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3v4fmypo said:
falcongoggles":3v4fmypo said:

DK has to track the ball better. That first one against Arizona was completely on him. The ball was put where he could get it but he couldn't find the ball.

Once DK learns that, can he teach it to Tedric Thompson?

Latest posts