Seahawks biggest impact trades of all time.

WI-Hawkfan

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3e7fj1bi said:
WI-Hawkfan":3e7fj1bi said:
I think it's hard to argue against it being trading for Marshawn. It's the only one that directly lead to a ring.

How about the trade being discussed with Denver? Our 2nd for their future 1st which got us ET

That's a good one too. It's hard to say who is more important out of those two. There is no LOB without Earl and the offense has been defined by Shawn. I'm torn. But either way it's down to the trades that let to the title. You can make the argument that the other trades were more lopsided talent-wise, but without the ring I don't think they can be considered the 'best'.

TAB420

Reaction score
seabowl":3c81puv6 said:
TAB420":3c81puv6 said:
The Galloway trade turned into Alexander and Hutchinson, so that was pretty big. But I would have to say Lynch, no doubt.

Hutchinson was not from the Galloway trade. That pick in 2001 was Koren Robinson.
Wow that's right, It's funny how I remembered this wrong for years.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I had to look this up to be certain, but we received Lynch for a 2011 4th and 2012 conditional 5th/6th.

The 2011 4th became OL Chris Hairston, who is now a free agent (he also missed the entire 2013 season due to a leg injury). It is unclear whether he will be re-signed.

The 2012 pick (a 5th) became LB Tank Carder, who was cut from the Bills before he saw his first game. He now plays for the Browns, who picked him up on waivers the same year. As he has only 21 tackles in three years, Carder's biggest claim to fame has been this embarrassing twitter dust-up.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
We could have thrown in a pack of tube socks and bus fare home to the Bills, but we didn't want to pile on.

Sac

Reaction score
Getting the Earl Thomas pick (#14) from the Donks for our second rounder which turned into a steaming pile.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Didn't we get a 5th-rounder for Josh Wilson back in 2010 which then became either Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor?

byau

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":b3pjnrpn said:
I agree with most of the trades discussed so far.....especially the Galloway trade

But I would have to believe that trading Rick Mirer in 1997 to the Bears for a first round choice would have to be rather high on the list of best trades of all time. We were able to draft Shawn Springs (after moving up) in that 1997 draft.

Actually it gets better.

Because it is much more convoluted than that. A piece we got back in the Rick Mirer trade went to the Falcons, and a piece we got from the Falcons went to the Bucs resulting in us getting the #6 overall pick ... Walter Jones!

Seahawks trade with Bears:
Lose: Rick Mirer, 4th round pick (Darnell Autry)
Receive: 1st round pick #11 overall (Michael Booker)

Seahawks trade with Falcons
Lose: 1st round pick #11 overall (Booker), 2nd round pick (Bryon Hanspard), 3rd round pick (OJ Santiago), 4th round pick (Henri Crockett)
Receive: 1st round pick #3 overall (Springs), 3rd round pick (Frank Middleton)

Seahawks trade with Bucs
Lose: 1st round #12 overall (Warwick Dunn), 3rd round pick (Frank Middleton)
Receive: 1st round pick #6 overall (Walter Jones)

SO THE NET WOULD BE tied together because of a few pieces

Seahawks Lose:
Rick Mirer,
1st round pick (#12) Warwick Dunn
2nd round pick Byron Hanspard
3rd round pick: OJ Santiago
3rd round pick: Frank Middleton
4th round pick Darnell Autry
4th round pick Henry Crockett

Seahawks Gain:
1st round pick (#3): Shawn Springs
1st round pick (#6): Walter Jones

Almost the reverse of what John and Pete do in that we stockpile picks by trading earlier picks, these guys traded up all their stockpile to get a few #1s, which turned out to be big payoffs

SOURCE: (and a most awesome one)
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/fo ... s/1997.htm

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hawks46":14y0zekr said:
It's tough to say. The trade away to Dallas and losing Dorsett has to be a big one, but rumors were he didn't want to come here, so I'm not sure how much of a long term impact that was. If he played his first contract then walked, not such a big deal.

The thread is about biggest impact TRADES (plural) - so, we're not going to determine "the" biggest trade. (Let's get 5 to 10 years ahead and count the multiple Super Bowl Championships after the Jimmy Graham trade and maybe we have a new contender.)

Dorsett could have opted to retire after a contract, never play at all or be traded for compensation. But, prior to this free-agency era, players couldn't simply walk.

The trade happened more because offers were coming in for a player that didn't want to play in Seattle and they opted to stockpile picks to try to build the team. In hindsight, bad decision. Yeah, they got a couple of lineman and Terry Beason, but they didn't win a championship and the potential with Dorsett... we'll never know. Zorn-Largent-Dorsett

That was one of the biggest impact trades of all-time, not just Seahawks, but NFL. It was the steal of that draft and a steal of a deal for the ages.

http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/03/on- ... y-dorsett/

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jkitsune":38cwj8v0 said:
Didn't we get a 5th-rounder for Josh Wilson back in 2010 which then became either Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor?

Had to look it up.. you were close

#133: Detroit → Seattle (PD). Detroit traded this selection and defensive end Robert Henderson to Seattle for guard Rob Sims and a seventh-round selection (213th overall; Detroit selected Willie Young).[source 44]

That was the pick eventually used on Kam

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":tpgdthf1 said:
..........I would also say that trading our 2nd round pick in 2009 to Denver for a 2010 first round pick (Earl Thomas) was another huge win
Easily one of Ruskell's better all-time moves. Fortunately he didn't make the actual pick the next year's draft.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1brjws5p said:
jkitsune":1brjws5p said:

Had to look it up.. you were close

#133: Detroit → Seattle (PD). Detroit traded this selection and defensive end Robert Henderson to Seattle for guard Rob Sims and a seventh-round selection (213th overall; Detroit selected Willie Young).[source 44]

That was the pick eventually used on Kam

Oh, wow, I totally forgot about the Rob Sims trade. Though I wish we had Sims still for OL depth, I guess I'm OK with how that turned out.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The Charlie Whitehurst trade. If we hadnt acquired Charlie via trade Carroll and Schneider probably would have tried to draft "their guy" to be the Seahawks future QB. Could have been Tim Tebow... shudder. Whoever that rookie would have been would have been given a year or two to develop and then a year or two to prove if he could actually play or not, and we probably never would have ended up with Russell Wilson. That trade also got us Golden Tate with the pick we got from San Diego.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
It should all begin with the Largent for an 8th rounder, the Lynch trade and the rest cascade afterward...

...after all, Largent was our first HOFer, and was THE best WR in the game until Rice broke his records...

JustTheTip

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1zyxht5o said:
The Charlie Whitehurst trade. If we hadnt acquired Charlie via trade Carroll and Schneider probably would have tried to draft "their guy" to be the Seahawks future QB. Could have been Tim Tebow... shudder. Whoever that rookie would have been would have been given a year or two to develop and then a year or two to prove if he could actually play or not, and we probably never would have ended up with Russell Wilson. That trade also got us Golden Tate with the pick we got from San Diego.

Flynn didn't stop them from drafting Wilson, so a 2nd year bubble player likely wouldn't have either.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Biggest impact? Marshawn.
Biggest benefit of trade in team history? Largent.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":3b56e90a said:
The 2012 pick (a 5th) became LB Tank Carder, who was cut from the Bills before he saw his first game. He now plays for the Browns, who picked him up on waivers the same year. As he has only 21 tackles in three years, Carder's biggest claim to fame has been this embarrassing twitter dust-up.

...and that he was a World Champion BMX racer when he was a kid if we're not limiting it to football fame - but I think we are. Rare opportunity to plug my other passion.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... carde.html

A

Anonymous

Nobody added a negative one yet?

Losing Ahman Green and a fifth to the Packers for Fred Vinson had the highest "impact" of any trade in Seahawks history, IMHO.

Latest posts