Seahawks Could Lose All Their Free Agents...

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":epgu49jt said:
This Off-Season and still be greatly competitive.

Excluding ocurse RFAs like Doug Baldwin.

The Seahawks could lose Tate, Bennett, McDaniel, McDonald, Hauschka, Schofield, Thurmond, Browner, Giacomini, McQuistan, Robinson, Jackson, Davis, etc.

Next Man Up

Obviously, would lose a step losing three bigs on the D-line and depth but with solid developing prospects, ace drafting, and keep plugging cheap veteran stop-gaps there is a possibility we wouldn't lose much in that process.

Tate or no Tate, the offense, imo, is going to get better. A lot of that will be the shoulders of a healthy O-line and a healthy Harvin plus Wilson and all the youth we have getting 1 year. Better, 1 more year acclimated into the league working towards Veteran status. Experience and History can go a long ways in being prepared. Lynch still has one more great year, probably his best yet to come especially if we can pair him an promising explosive heart-breaker in Michael and a healthier O-Line. Michael also had the year to develop his weaknesses while giving little tape to corral his strengths to the Division possibly the NFC because memories of him. Came from AFC games and then he became a non-factor the rest of the season for the most part. Plus, the offensive promise of Luke Willson, as a TE who did it all and looked good in moments whether it was catching as a TE or WR or blocking as a TE or FB. If the Seahawks can keep healthy, I see a Top 5 DVOA offense, and I still see a top 5, within 10 at worst DVOA defense, and top a 5 DVOA Special Teams.

Fortunately the Seahawks likely won't lose everybody, they are going to keep some of those players, personally I would pursue the cheaper players like McDaniel, Giacomini, Hauschka, and Kellen Davis.

But we don't know nothing, its hard not to get caught up in free agency and the speculation, but the way I see it, even if we lose all our free agents this off-season, the Seahawks are still a stacked team and intelligent enough to find the right solutions for replacement whether its the next Man Up, Stop Gap Free Agency or Drafting.

It will suck to whomever we do lose, but I fully trust this company to do what they need to do to keep the competitive window of contending for a championship wide open while succesfully managing the cap in the process.

The Seahawks will see a lot of great players move on but the competitive fire will burn on through philosophies and the legacy of winning creating the expectations of replacing a Champion

Okay to be honest this is a silly post, we are not boing to loose all our FAs, we may loose some , but not all.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DavidSeven":24a98u49 said:
Actually, the Patriots model is exactly what I'm advocating. They pay big money to a handful of core guys and cycle out the very-good players and rely on the draft for those spots. They use mid-level contracts judiciously to fill in gaps.

As far as the offense, Russell/Percy/Tate (if re-signed) would make more than our secondary in 2015, so you're exaggerating that point. Anyway, all of your handwringing basically just assumes Schneider fails at drafting. It assumes Christine Michael is a bust. It assumes we can't pick good receivers and good O-linemen at the top of the 2014 draft. It assumes we can't still afford Mebane. It assumes Bwags isn't on a rookie deal for two more years.

I'm not advocating signing Sherman/ET to lifetime contracts. I'm advocating that we lock them for the next three years. We can stagger heir cap hits and Russell's so that's there's room to make additional moves over the next two years. In Year 3, we have flexibility with Percy, and Marshawn is off the books. It will certainly be a difficult task, but perfectly manageable.

In 2013, we spent $21 million on Zach Miller and Sidney Rice. Didn't kill us, because their cap hits came at an opportune time.

And the Patriots core guys aren't overwhelmingly in their secondary and spread out pretty well into both sides of the ball, you know, so both are equally effective, and injuries don't completely decimate them.

You don't say a franchise QB is going to eat a large part of the cap. We'd have been 8-8 in 2012 and 2013 without him. If Christine Michael isn't a bust, we should take advantage of his rookie salary ASAP and add some real speed outside the tackles besides trick plays with Harvin and Wilson's scrambling. Instead of watching Lynch pound between the tackles exclusively and decline while our interior OLmen turnstile the auto blitzes.

Trading Sherman while we could still get some nice draft capital instead of hoping he signs for less than he's worth, or not paying him and watching some rival NFC team pick him up means I have every confidence in Pete and John to draft us cheap talent we can use- on more then our secondary. And why would I advocate a whole host of players leaving or taking a pay cut and not buying in as much because we can't live without Sherman and have a hole in our heads if we don't lock up RW?

Zach Miller and Sidney Rice's 2013 contracts were possible because of all these cheap and CONTRIBUTING rookie contracts made it possible. We have 7 draft picks this year, and since we're allergic to boldly moving for better draft capital for fear of losing stars while we pick near last in every round of the draft if everything goes well in the next few years, we're only making Pete and John's drafting job harder and any mistakes into crucial ones, while at the same time they struggle to juggle the salary cap because we can't let fan favorites go.

rcaido

Reaction score
HawkWow":2xhzchyu said:
rcaido":2xhzchyu said:
kearly":2xhzchyu said:
The Seahawks are going to lose a lot of free agents and will still be the NFL's best team. This is true. The upside of these departures will be a massive number of day 3 compensation picks in 2015.

To me the most critical aspect of free agency is the defensive line. Bennett is a minor star comparable to 2010-2012 Chris Clemons. We already had one championship flushed down the drain when we lost Clemons at Fed Ex, which kinda highlights how important it is to retain Bennett. Almost as important have been McDaniel, McDonald, Mebane and Bryant. The first two are UFA and the latter two might end up potentially traded/released. Expect Seattle to do a lot of bargain shopping on DL this year. McDaniel, Mebane AND Bryant all turn 30 before the next Super Bowl, so if we keep them it would probably only be for one more season. I'm guessing McDonald (age 27) will get Jason Jones money. I think he's worth it.

I hope we keep Tate, but it's only going to happen if he's hugely under-rated by the rest of the league. Going to be pretty interesting to see what they do with Breno, too.

Seattle should shop several of their players in trades. Bryant, Mebane, Lynch, and Sherman should all be shopped to see if a good deal could be had. Sherman is the only one of those three that I think has any real chance of being on the team in 2016, and even he's kinda dicey if he asks for Revis money.

Why would you want to shop Sherman right now? Lynch? Seriously? The team has very good chemistry, the last thing you want is thinking its easy to replace anyone. Our main focus is Thomas & Sherman. I dont think we can keep Bennett. Tate would be too expensive even for a hometown discount, better getting Baldwin. Hauschka & Giacomini should be cheap enough is very important players for the Seahawks.

Consider the roster moves this FO has made in it's short time together....I think I read over 1500. They have churned the entire roster, and in doing so, they gave us one of the best teams ever assembled. So these guys essentially do have a relatively "easy time" replacing people. Look at our depth.

No offense intended, but it drives me nuts when posters / fans find such conversation outlandish, unheard of and/or taboo. Opinions are basically attacked without thought. "You can't trade ML"! "You can't trade Sherman, it would be stupid". Before making such comments, wouldn't it be wise to consider the bigger picture? Like...what if a Cleveland offered us their 2 1s for Sherm...that would be stupid to consider?

What if some franchise, needing asses in seats, offered us a 2nd rd pick for Beastmode? With Michael and Turbin and to degree Harvin in the backfield...would it be stupid to consider that trade, while offloading his contract?

I love these guys. But I am not so sure about how absolutely imperative it is to keep all championship pieces together. Only a handful of teams have ever repeated, and yes, there's many reasons for that, but maybe it's also a matter of not keeping every piece, upgrading, adding younger legs and more hunger or maybe it's even changing things up. Like next year we go 50 pass 50 run.

Hey, if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room. I have total confidence in Pete and his ability to think outside the box. I think his phone is ringing and I think he and John are listening to those calls.

Yes i am looking at the big picture. Richard Sherman is probably the most popular football player right now. You dont just shop a player like that especially after just winning a superbowl. That's the best way to lose trust w/ your players. This isn't a video game where you can just see what you can get without affecting players. How would the fans react trading one of the most popular player for unproven draft picks? Just hearing about it would piss me off. Untouchable players would be Wilson, Thomas, & Sherman in that order. Then maybe Wagner & Okung. Lynch/Harvin are good until their contract ends.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Lady Talon":7aytpehj said:
DavidSeven":7aytpehj said:
Actually, the Patriots model is exactly what I'm advocating. They pay big money to a handful of core guys and cycle out the very-good players and rely on the draft for those spots. They use mid-level contracts judiciously to fill in gaps.

As far as the offense, Russell/Percy/Tate (if re-signed) would make more than our secondary in 2015, so you're exaggerating that point. Anyway, all of your handwringing basically just assumes Schneider fails at drafting. It assumes Christine Michael is a bust. It assumes we can't pick good receivers and good O-linemen at the top of the 2014 draft. It assumes we can't still afford Mebane. It assumes Bwags isn't on a rookie deal for two more years.

I'm not advocating signing Sherman/ET to lifetime contracts. I'm advocating that we lock them for the next three years. We can stagger heir cap hits and Russell's so that's there's room to make additional moves over the next two years. In Year 3, we have flexibility with Percy, and Marshawn is off the books. It will certainly be a difficult task, but perfectly manageable.

In 2013, we spent $21 million on Zach Miller and Sidney Rice. Didn't kill us, because their cap hits came at an opportune time.

And the Patriots core guys aren't overwhelmingly in their secondary and spread out pretty well into both sides of the ball, you know, so both are equally effective, and injuries don't completely decimate them.

You don't say a franchise QB is going to eat a large part of the cap. We'd have been 8-8 in 2012 and 2013 without him. If Christine Michael isn't a bust, we should take advantage of his rookie salary ASAP and add some real speed outside the tackles besides trick plays with Harvin and Wilson's scrambling. Instead of watching Lynch pound between the tackles exclusively and decline while our interior OLmen turnstile the auto blitzes.

Trading Sherman while we could still get some nice draft capital instead of hoping he signs for less than he's worth, or not paying him and watching some rival NFC team pick him up means I have every confidence in Pete and John to draft us cheap talent we can use- on more then our secondary. And why would I advocate a whole host of players leaving or taking a pay cut and not buying in as much because we can't live without Sherman and have a hole in our heads if we don't lock up RW?

Zach Miller and Sidney Rice's 2013 contracts were possible because of all these cheap and CONTRIBUTING rookie contracts made it possible. We have 7 draft picks this year, and since we're allergic to boldly moving for better draft capital for fear of losing stars while we pick near last in every round of the draft if everything goes well in the next few years, we're only making Pete and John's drafting job harder and any mistakes into crucial ones, while at the same time they struggle to juggle the salary cap because we can't let fan favorites go.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Russell will get paid handsomely. However, his first year cap hit will be low. For example, Flacco signed a huge extension, but only counted $5m against the cap this year. It will be a relatively manageable $15m in years 2 and 3. It balloons after that (but BAL can just restructure him by then).

The same will be true for ET/Sherm. If you extend them, they can take a low cap hit in Year 1 (probably $4-5m cap hit each). In Year 2, let's say it's a $22m combined cap hit (~15% of the overall cap). That's when Russell will be in Year 1 (2015) of his extended deal ($5m cap hit). So, that's pretty manageable from 2014-2015. After that, all three will be making a lot, but Lynch will be off-the-books and maybe you can restructure Harvin. In the meantime, hopefully you draft well and some of our red-shirt guys emerge. As long as you give Sherman some guaranteed $, I don't think his cap hit will ever be astronomical. The highest paid CB w/ guarantees is making $10m. Revis is an outlier because none of his $ is guaranteed.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Okay to be honest this is a silly post, we are not boing to loose all our FAs, we may loose some , but not all.

Okay to be honest, how far did you read before you stopped and made up your mind about what I said. I'll admit these thoughts were conveyed in my best work and I now have to deal with a shoddy overused keyboard on my phone. But if you actually got the gist of what I was saying which I have in fact high-lighted for you:

Fortunately the Seahawks likely won't lose everybody, they are going to keep some of those players, personally I would pursue the cheaper players like McDaniel, Giacomini, Hauschka, and Kellen Davis.

But we don't know [anything], its hard not to get caught up in free agency and the speculation, but the way I see it, even if we lose all our free agents this off-season, the Seahawks are still a stacked team and intelligent enough to find the right solutions for replacement whether its the next Man Up, Stop Gap Free Agency or Drafting.

It will suck to whomever we do lose, but I fully trust this company to do what they need to do to keep the competitive window of contending for a championship wide open while succesfully managing the cap in the process.

The Seahawks will see a lot of great players move on but the competitive fire will burn on through philosophies and the legacy of winning creating the expectations of replacing a Champion

I pretty much said what Kearly said... just without the very organized thought process that often gets applauded and revered.

AndI'll stand by initial statement... Seahawks have great role players, some of whom will retained accordingly to what the Team feels is better moving forward , but let's not act like our guys , our free agents are all elite all-pro players that all need to be paid a premium rate.

Some guys will come back, some guys won't, and the simple underlying read in between the lines message for which this thread exist is Don't Get Too Attached.

The Seahawks will do the Seahawks. They know who their MVPs are, and in my opinion not one guy in the 2014 free agency lineup is bigger than the team where the Seahawks need to sacrifice their long term goals and throw big money at a player.

The players who want to stay and accept a little less for the benefit of the team will likely be brought back. The players who want the red carpet and for us to break the bank for them will be shown the door unless we deem that player is absolutely worth the money.

Either way though I still stand by that we could lose every single free agent we have and still highly competitive in 2014. We won't have elite depth but we wouldn't be any worse that what we were in 2012.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
My final point: do you guys think they would have extended Chancellor last year if they thought it would cost them ET/Sherman/Wilson? ET/Sherman were 1st Team All-Pros that year. Wilson was already rookie legend. They knew precisely how much these guys would cost. As Schneider has said numerous times, they have salary cap model in place, which extends several years and accounts for their best players. The cap model was likely started by John Idzik before he left for the Jets. (Idzik is renowned as a cap wizard.)

The moment Chancellor signed his extension, I was ecstatic. Not only because I loved Kam, but because that basically guaranteed that Sherman and Thomas would be re-signed, too. They wouldn't have extended him if that put Sherm/ET/Wilson in jeopardy. The model is in place. Trust in JS.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3bvhh0oz said:
Lady Talon":3bvhh0oz said:
DavidSeven":3bvhh0oz said:

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Russell will get paid handsomely. However, his first year cap hit will be low. For example, Flacco signed a huge extension, but only counted $5m against the cap this year. It will be a relatively manageable $15m in years 2 and 3. It balloons after that (but BAL can just restructure him by then).

The same will be true for ET/Sherm. If you extend them, they can take a low cap hit in Year 1 (probably $4-5m cap hit each). In Year 2, let's say it's a $22m combined cap hit (~15% of the overall cap). That's when Russell will be in Year 1 (2015) of his extended deal ($5m cap hit). So, that's pretty manageable from 2014-2015. After that, all three will be making a lot, but Lynch will be off-the-books and maybe you can restructure Harvin. In the meantime, hopefully you draft well and some of our red-shirt guys emerge. As long as you give Sherman some guaranteed $, I don't think his cap hit will ever be astronomical. The highest paid CB w/ guarantees is making $10m. Revis is an outlier because none of his $ is guaranteed.

They have to tread carefully all these years to stay out of salary cap hell, while turning about 80% of their draft picks into homerun starting calibre players, with bargain basement FA's to cover up any mistakes, all while attempting to at least make Super Bowls, and win popularity contests paying emerging home grown players along the way, while restructuring everyone else and risk them regressing.

I got what you are saying. I see rebuilding years before I see a dynasty.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Lady Talon":143e6o9n said:
DavidSeven":143e6o9n said:
E.C. Laloosh":143e6o9n said:
DavidSeven":143e6o9n said:
I know Pete and John don't put much stock in what the locals think, but the city of Seattle would meltdown if they shopped Sherm this off-season. It would seriously stomp out a lot of the goodwill that came from the championship. It's just not going to happen.

Just think about it. The team put Richard Sherman on stage to speak at the victory parade. He is one of two players the team makes available every week for press conferences. Do we really think they'd start shopping him two months later? Football teams are businesses like everything else. They're very conscious of what they do and the public image they craft. There is a longterm plan for Sherman in place.

People are getting too thrown off by Revis's contract numbers. It's a baloney contract and all window-dressing. He has no guarantees in it. It's like getting franchised every year but at a higher price. He'll either be cut or restructured in Year 3, if not sooner.

So you wouldn't take a 1st and two 3rds for Sherm? Just curious. We may or may not shop him, but I'm curious what people think he'd garner (and what they'd be willing to take).

No, I wouldn't at all. I think if the Vikings had a good relationship with Harvin, they would be idiots to make last year's trade with Seattle. I think the same of Sherman. You don't trade away young and elite talent for draft picks. And to be clear, I am SUPER selective with who I brand as "elite." Tate is NOT elite. Sherman, Thomas, and Harvin are elite. Trading away youg and elite players is a LOSER's mentality. Plain and simple. It's what the Mariners kept doing. It's what the Sonics did. Are we following their roadmap?

I love what Davis Hsu said on Twitter yesterday re: Sherman & Thomas:

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle Feb 7
Sick of all the handwringing about paying big stars a big chunk of your salary cap- and here is why......it does NOT doom you IF (1) your big time stars perform (2) u have other good players on rookie contracts from good/high volume drafting... Paying a young ORGANIC (you drafted him) player his 2nd deal is a CELEBRATION for your org- not a damn curse!!! It is IDEAL-...Would you rather pay your big money to someone who played most of their career OUTSIDE of your org or to ORGANIC talent/leadership?...Cuz every tm paying big $$ to someone

What else are we going to spend the money on? Give dumb contracts to a bunch of mid-tier players like the Cowboys or Redskins? I hate to break it to everyone, but guys on our team who are worth "only" $4-7m are likely replaceable via draft and will net you great compensatory draft picks if they leave. There is no comparable solution for losing elite players like Sherman and Thomas.

I wonder how far our $25-30m secondary will get us when our offense is hard pressed to move the ball thanks to declining RB, backsliding OL, and oft injured WR corps. Or for that matter, when the opposing offense is running over the tackling dummies we have for a front seven, I wonder if fans will be entirely satisfied surrendering a good 5+ yards per carry and the short passing game that shreds our perpetually changing LB corps. Sounds like a recipe to follow the Steelers and Ravens model and keep our stars on the field until they die of natural causes and bury the team with them on the spot.

Of course, even they weren't stupid enough to sink a vast majority of talent into 1 UNIT on 1 SIDE OF THE BALL.

You forget the Patriots model, you know, the closest thing we've had to a dynasty since realignment. They regularly let their "irreplaceable stars" walk and reload through shrewd drafting, coaching, and key FA's. So stupid they've been a threat to win the AFC for longer then I can remember.

Pats never had players as Elite as Sherman or Thomas though. They are the BEST at their position IMO

Lady Talon

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1nplgur3 said:
Pats never had players as Elite as Sherman or Thomas though. They are the BEST at their position IMO

Asante Samuel in his most dominant years, Randy Moss at his best ever, Wes Welker setting records, Ty Law, Richard Seymour. All walked the FA plank. Sure, most of them declined sharply after leaving, in their Patriot years, feared and elite.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Welker, Moss, and Law were 30+ when released. Samuel was never on ET/Sherm's level. He specifically lost a SB for them and was let go the next year. During the championship years (before any of these guys were ever released), NE consistently ID'ed their core guys and re-signed them.

Sherman/Earl will be 15% of the cap in 2015 and beyond. Comparable to the Miller/Rice cap hit in 2013. Even with Miller/Rice, we absorbed big cap hits for Clemons, Red, Mebane, Lynch, Okung, Unger, Harvin, Bennett, etc. It's really not going to be as dramatic as you think. If our core guys regress after a few years, they'll make less or go elsewhere. Oh well. Personally, I like betting on Sherman and Earl being dominant and being worth that 15% for a couple years.

Ultimately, in JS I trust.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Our secondary specifically lost in 32 seconds in Atlanta, erasing RW's almost historic comeback. Heads rolled. Oh wait, only ancient Trufant's did. Plenty of players choke the Super Bowl. Just watched a first ballot Hall of Famer look like Tony Romo in one.

Hey Sherm's pretty good, but to charge he's better than a CB without a pair of elite safeties nor excellent coverage LBs, or a ball control offense to keep him off the field. Is just stupid. Send Sherm to Denver, what's it matter when all they have to do to make you look bad is abuse the failures around you and get lucky and burn you a couple times.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3lv02qg3 said:
Our secondary specifically lost in 32 seconds in Atlanta, erasing RW's almost historic comeback. Heads rolled. Oh wait, only ancient Trufant's did. Plenty of players choke the Super Bowl. Just watched a first ballot Hall of Famer look like Tony Romo in one.

Hey Sherm's pretty good, but to charge he's better than a CB without a pair of elite safeties nor excellent coverage LBs, or a ball control offense to keep him off the field. Is just stupid. Send Sherm to Denver, what's it matter when all they have to do to make you look bad is abuse the failures around you and get lucky and burn you a couple times.

Eh, I think he's an elite player. You apparently think he's pretty good. I'm not going to argue with you ad nauseam over this point.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Elite doesn't look as elite anymore when you have a bad support system. This is a team game. It's lazy analysis to arbitrarily proclaim one more elite than another without touching on the situations both had to deal with. Sherm declared himself not even the best in his own secondary, gave Earl those honors. Would have been a good laugh if Asante claimed the same.

Fans didn't run Asante out of the door in New England. His contract negotiations obviously did.

Kakaww

Reaction score
I think we should cut the whole team and just bring in a bunch of late round/undrafted all pros every year through the draft :)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Lots of good points being made here.

I think this is the time of year you have your RFA's talk to their agents and bring your demands for what they are looking for in their potential new contract. You explain to them the reason and that reason is if they are to far apart then the team needs to be thinking about what is the best thing to do moving forward. We don't want to find out at the last minute that Sherman plans on asking 25 Mill per year or he walks to any team of his choosing. Especially when that team could possibly end up in our division or another NFC power house.

It's a good business move that would allow you to shop him to teams with his input. He would still have some control because any team trading for him would have to agree to a contract first. Sherman could essentially kill any deal to a team he wouldn't want to play for by simply pricing himself out f their market or he gets Alex Rodriguez money to play a contract for a garbage franchise.

It also makes sure your checks and balances are in place. Having an idea of what a player/agent will be looking for this early would go a very long way in successfully negotiating his new contract but mostly prevents you from being blind sided.

I agree with those that think Pete and John already have a plan but if that plan includes any player that may suddenly ask for double what they expected it could drastically muck up that plan.

As for FA's this year I think the only absolute have to resign is Michael Bennett. Tate would be great but Bennett is not an option for me. Reason being is we struggled through three seasons trying to find anyone to do what Bennett does. The three tech spot has been a huge problem and Bennett IMO makes everyone around him better. I believe Mebane had his best year and McDanial and McDonald both looked better than they would have without Bennett's influence.

The next few years are going to be very interesting no matter what happens.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3cqhgubf said:
Teams like Dallas, Patriots could throw lots of money at Bennett. But I think those guys see that we have something special going on in Seattle. They will all be coming back, if offered the right deals.
I thought Robinson was retiring for good.

Dallas?
You might want to check their current cap status.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1gjn0q0v said:
DavidSeven":1gjn0q0v said:
I know Pete and John don't put much stock in what the locals think, but the city of Seattle would meltdown if they shopped Sherm this off-season. It would seriously stomp out a lot of the goodwill that came from the championship. It's just not going to happen.

Just think about it. The team put Richard Sherman on stage to speak at the victory parade. He is one of two players the team makes available every week for press conferences. Do we really think they'd start shopping him two months later? Football teams are businesses like everything else. They're very conscious of what they do and the public image they craft. There is a longterm plan for Sherman in place.

People are getting too thrown off by Revis's contract numbers. It's a baloney contract and all window-dressing. He has no guarantees in it. It's like getting franchised every year but at a higher price. He'll either be cut or restructured in Year 3, if not sooner.

So you wouldn't take a 1st and two 3rds for Sherm? Just curious. We may or may not shop him but I'm curious what people think he'd garner (and what they'd be willing to take).
No. You don't trade shutdown cornerbacks or dynamic players like Percy Harvin.

Latest posts