Seahawks have best offense in the league per weighted DVOA

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2u21mwss said:
The biggest factor for Seahawks resurgence has been the improved qb play.

And that improved play, in all likelihood, doesn't happen without major improvements to the OL and the frankly stunning performances of Doug Baldwin.

The entire offense is really rolling at the moment and deserves respect.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawks46":2v5ghwgr said:
peachesenregalia":2v5ghwgr said:
MontanaHawk05":2v5ghwgr said:

Captain Sunshine strikes again!

Yea it's pretty funny. I laughed out loud on that one.

I'm not saying that to make fun of Montana. I appreciate a dry, sarcastic sense of humor.

<3

I was serious, tho.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Nobody's going to accuse me of being a DVOA guru but I'll use it as a tool occasionally for different purposes.

Anyway....
I love talking to folks about DVOA.
As soon as you get that confused dog head lilt out of someone, you know you're on a different nerd level.

Rob12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":744zgqpb said:
hawknation2015":744zgqpb said:
Russell Wilson is carrying this offense right now.

Why is he 'carrying' it? That sounds negative.

It's not like Rawls wasn't performing brilliantly pre-injury or the O-line wasn't providing fantastic protection or Doug Baldwin hasn't just been a terror at the second level.

Wilson has been awesome but he's far from 'carrying' the offense. Many different parts are combining to produce a fantastic, dynamic, balanced attack.

I read that and don't see it is a negative.

It just finally feels like this has become Russell's team.

Agree with you on that last sentence, though. The offense has stepped up enormously. It's just that RW has led the charge.

Rob12

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":bygksj5x said:

Damn good record considering what the Seahawks have been through over the past 10 months. Lots of injuries, lots of egocentric personalities... Started 2-4, and have dug their way back.

What's your point with this, Montana? Good grief, man. This team has won 50 games and dominated in the playoffs since the 2012 season. I guess some really do dig into that what have you done for me lately mindset.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1d4ur36q said:
Basis4day":1d4ur36q said:
irocdave":1d4ur36q said:
Not anymore, no Lynch or Rawls = not the same. Who cares what some stat says, what matters is what they are moving forward.

Not like Rawls got injured on the first drive against the Ravens and WIlson threw 5 TDs or anything.

Before Rawls went down though, we were destroying the Ravens on the ground, which is much more lethal than destroying them through the air.
?^^^^^^??
Excuse me, BUT............ After Rawls went down, the Run Game took a big hit, and you didn't even notice that the Passing game hitting another gear????
All those TD's WITHOUT having Rawls in there to help by tearing up the Defense, Russell Wilson deserves SOME credit eh?
Most of RW's passes were pin point perfect....Just ask Baldwin.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3r5g9coh said:
Russ Willstrong":3r5g9coh said:
The biggest factor for Seahawks resurgence has been the improved qb play.

And that improved play, in all likelihood, doesn't happen without major improvements to the OL and the frankly stunning performances of Doug Baldwin.

The entire offense is really rolling at the moment and deserves respect.
They're playing like a TEAM.

Doesn't hurt that Wilson is getting much deserved, and way past due pass protection...Hell, everybody is benefiting from it...Even the Defense.
And there's something to be said about rolling up 16 TD's in four games, and ZERO interceptions, so whomever believes that just about ANY run of the mill QB can do that is dreaming.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Rob12":23v980wp said:
MontanaHawk05":23v980wp said:

Damn good record considering what the Seahawks have been through over the past 10 months. Lots of injuries, lots of egocentric personalities... Started 2-4, and have dug their way back.

What's your point with this, Montana? Good grief, man. This team has won 50 games and dominated in the playoffs since the 2012 season. I guess some really do dig into that what have you done for me lately mindset.
I get his point.

Weighted DVOA minimizes early games and emphasizes recent games. But when the playoffs are seeded, no shits will be given about how good the DVOA is.
3 road wins are not impossible. but they are a damn sight harder than 1 road game with a bye week. And an offense that could not produce to even league average and wilted in 4th quarters is a pretty big part of why we will have to win 3 road games to get to the bowl.

8-5 is a tangible reality with real consequenses. DVOA is a nice barometer, but it isn't getting us home games in the playoffs, now is it?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1z5tp28k said:
hawknation2015":1z5tp28k said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1z5tp28k said:
hawknation2015":1z5tp28k said:
Russell Wilson is carrying this offense right now.

Why is he 'carrying' it? That sounds negative.

It's not like Rawls wasn't performing brilliantly pre-injury or the O-line wasn't providing fantastic protection or Doug Baldwin hasn't just been a terror at the second level.

Wilson has been awesome but he's far from 'carrying' the offense. Many different parts are combining to produce a fantastic, dynamic, balanced attack.

Russell Wilson is #1 and #2 in the NFL in highest QB-to-WR QB ratings: 145.0 to Tyler Lockett and 142.0 to Doug Baldwin.

No doubt Russell has been playing at an elite level the last 4 games. He deserves a ton, A TON, of credit, but those numbers you posted don't tel the whole story.

They don't tell us that Doug scored on a simple 10 yard crossing route where he stiff armed two defenders and ran 70 more yards to score. They don't say how Lockett has pulled in a couple long passes after taking unsportsmanlike hits to the head or that he broke two tackles to score against the 49ers on a slant route. They don't tell us that on at least two TD pass against the Ravens that Russell had 4-5 seconds behind a well protected pocket. They don't say how the play calls have lead to mcuh easier reads or that the run game of Rawls has led to a much more balanced and unpredictable offense.

"Carrying this offense" implies the offense has scored despite terrible play elsewhere. That simply hasn't been the case. The offensive ling has been protecting great and the running game has kept the offense on schedule. The play calling has been stellar and made life a lot easier for Russell.

It's Russell's team now. Until Lynch is back the offense rides or dies with him, but when you're averaging 3o+ points a game it's usually not just the QB who's the reason why.

I disagree, same thing can be said for Rodgers, luck etc etc when they carry the team as the media and homers point out... No qb does it all alone, despite that narrative.