Seahawks interested in Antoine Winfield Again?

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2yqrg0c4 said:
I hope not. Dude is old.

I like the chemistry this team has developed by using the next man up mantra.

This is an opportunity for Lane and Maxwell to show the world what they can do. It's their turn to be the next men up.

Unless we get into a playoff game and their inexperience allows the other team to burn us repeatedly i.e Super Bowl, Falcons game

hawker84

Reaction score
he couldn't get a job because he turned down other offers. in other words, he could be playing right now but chose not to, and was waiting for the right opportunity, no better one than with us. i say bring him aboard, let's see what he can do, hopefully better than in pre-season.. bottom line is he's a wiley old vet, who has a ton of game experience.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":2ty9pk9r said:
Tech Worlds":2ty9pk9r said:
I hope not. Dude is old.

I like the chemistry this team has developed by using the next man up mantra.

This is an opportunity for Lane and Maxwell to show the world what they can do. It's their turn to be the next men up.

Unless we get into a playoff game and their inexperience allows the other team to burn us repeatedly i.e Super Bowl, Falcons game

Falcons? That was due to inexperienced corners? Hmmmm

TwilightError

Reaction score
If Tru can still do it, i say bring him. He would be the only Seahawk to play in two Supeb Owls if all goes to plan...

formido

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":37yadleb said:
Tech Worlds":37yadleb said:
Dudes old. We built this team on youth and swagger.

Pass on this old guy.

Right, because having the veteran presence of a HoF player coming in fresh down the stretch wouldn't improve this team chances in what is likely the most important games in the season.

See Ray Lewis and Ed Reed coming back healthy in time to push the Ravens into the Superbowl.

See Randy Moss stabilizing the 49ers poor WR corps.

See what losing Reggie Wayne has done to Andrew Luck.

Winfield would be a great thing for this team.

Winfield may be a great thing for this team. You can't read too much into his being cut earlier.

Lots of folks said Robinson was "beat out" by Coleman. As is clear now, Robinson is still far better than Coleman: It was about the money. Despite Winfield having a monster year just last season, people were ready to write Winfield off on the sample size of one debatable preseason play. Fact is, none of us have seen enough of Winfield to discount his play last season and be certain that Winfield's cost didn't play a significant role in cutting him.

TwilightError

Reaction score
ExperienceJones":19hi0a4f said:
Tru can't play. Did you see him last year? Dude got burned alllllll day.

I saw him. Decent on the outside, bad on the nickel. He is rested now so who knows, the team needs an extra corner anyway now since Sherm, Lane, Maxwell is not enough to play four full games. Maybe he has enough in the tank to be a rotation guy? If not, they sign someone else. I personally just would love it if he could do it. Lifelong Seahawk, local guy, never played for other teams (preseason does not count) etc. Icon.

CANHawk

Reaction score
TwilightError":1uz4xd9m said:
ExperienceJones":1uz4xd9m said:

I saw him. Decent on the outside, bad on the nickel. He is rested now so who knows, the team needs an extra corner anyway now since Sherm, Lane, Maxwell is not enough to play four full games. Maybe he has enough in the tank to be a rotation guy? If not, they sign someone else. I personally just would love it if he could do it. Lifelong Seahawk, local guy, never played for other teams (preseason does not count) etc. Icon.

Dude... Tru got cut by the JAGS. I love him to death too, but he ain't got it no mo.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll told 710 ESPN Radio on Monday that Winfield is a candidate to come out of retirement to help Seattle's secondary. Winfield has been out of the league since being cut by the Seahawks during training camp.

"He's knows his way around," Carroll said, per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... e-seahawks

I hope it happens. The saying is that you can't have too many corners in the NFC West. But you can definitely have too few!

chris98251

Reaction score
Not having read a lot of other posts but seeing the Browner one year suspension article signing Winfield and treading water with Maxwell and Lane till Thurmonds suspension is cleared makes sense, Thurmond takes Browners spot and we still have the slot covered.

On a side note, seems that the NFL does this Random testing and the most convenient of times to de rail teams. Want to know when Browner and Thurmond were tested and why it's all of a sudden before one of our biggest games like last year it's disclosed.

TwilightError

Reaction score
CANHawk":2x3behmz said:
TwilightError":2x3behmz said:
ExperienceJones":2x3behmz said:

Dude... Tru got cut by the JAGS. I love him to death too, but he ain't got it no mo.

Yeah but Tru makes no sense in Jags. They are in deep deep rebuild, so an old guy just takes a spot away from a young gun who actually might have a future in the rebuild. We are in the situation that we need a couple of corners who can perform in a professional standard NOW. Not sometime in the distant future. Permanent substitute for BB (and maybe WT3) can be brought in in the offseason, if humble thug or Shead are not that already in the long run (right now they are not, but Shead might deserva a shot).

Not saying for sure that Tru can do that, but I would love it if he could. Pete and John are capable in making these decisions and I trust them in this. Bringing these familiar guys in is the smartest possible move in this challenging situation.

There is a need for two back-up corners in the team. That is a fact. No matter how much we trust Maxwell and Lane since I believe they will start even if both Tru and Winfield (or any other two) are signed.

253hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":225s9okf said:
On a side note, seems that the NFL does this Random testing and the most convenient of times to de rail teams. Want to know when Browner and Thurmond were tested and why it's all of a sudden before one of our biggest games like last year it's disclosed.

They've also 'randomly' tested two punters this season. Pat McAfee for blowing up a return guy that weighs 170 lbs soaking wet and Steve Weatherford for crushing two (wind-assisted) punts over 65 yards last week.

The NFL needs to take the kid gloves off with this crap. First offense -- one year ban. Second offense -- enjoy the CFL. Same goes for just about any other personal conduct violation that happens off the field. These guys make more money in a few years than I'll see in my whole life and continue to act like idiot teenagers and I'm sick of it. I don't remember it being like this in the 80's and 90's...wtf happened? Someone spilled NBA into my NFL!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
253hawk":1p4nyexc said:
chris98251":1p4nyexc said:
I don't remember it being like this in the 80's and 90's...wtf happened? Someone spilled NBA into my NFL!

Odd, because the days of doing massive amounts of coke were the '80s and '90s.

Odd also that you single out the NBA when rampant drug use is really the hallmark of MLB. I mean, screw the NBA, but that's a weird league to target. We've had a guy throw a no-hitter on LSD in Major League Baseball...in the '70s.

253hawk

Reaction score
I guess it's probably just due to the internet. Stuff took so long to develop, substantiate and publish back then that by the time it hit the headlines, it was already a done deal with most of the facts checking out. Nowadays it's just a twitter-fest from the second something happens and is run into the ground before we even get all of the details which have changed a dozen times over in the process.

The MLB had drugs, sure, but you don't usually hear about ball players getting into shootings or altercations at night clubs or anything like that. Its off-the-field 'lifestyle' is a little more reserved compared to the NFL and NBA in that regard. Probably because they play so many damn boring games and don't have the energy until the off-season. They beat their wives occasionally and drive drunk, but that's pretty much par for the course these days it seems. There isn't much 'thug life' in MLB.

Latest posts