Seahawks Presser at 11am Wed-Sherm's extension signed!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
As Throw mentioned if we can get Baldwin and Wilson done next year it may get bloody in Santa Clara after our ThreePete.

LolaRox

Reaction score
There couldn't be a better reason for my 1st post than to express how happy I am for Richard and the Seahawks that this deal got done. It appears to be a smart deal and shows a lot of respect for Richard, the best corner in the game, and his hard work. He certainly has earned it.

This makes me very excited for the upcoming season and ultimately being able to watch the L.O.B. dominate for years to come.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2icvnbmo said:
Several things stuck out while I was watching the presser.

1) The atmosphere here in Seattle - the fans, the coaching staff, the fellow players, the competitive environment - played a rather large role in Richard Sherman wanting to stay a Seahawk. It was very obvious the whole time that he gave tremendous value to it. John Schneider's remarks when talking about how they considered "breaking from their strategy" and getting some other big name players to sign here also spoke to that some. The environment here is very special right now, and it is going a long way toward keeping us competitive in the league.

2) They really didn't want to talk about the details of the contract, and in fact pushed that question off, saying they'd address it sometime later, which might indicate it's a little more unique than we're used to seeing. To me, that might signal a bit more money up front, or a deal that is cap friendlier than we're used to seeing. Someone with more knowledge on salaries and cap space and what money counts and doesn't count could address this better than I, but it sure sounds like they set it up to be team-friendly well into the future. This is very good for us.

3) Sherman was treated very similarly to how Wilson was in the draft. He was rated much higher by the front office, but they waited until the fifth round because they were fairly certain he'd fall that far. I get the feeling he wasn't as much of a known entity then, and so they weren't as obviously worried about not getting him as they were about Wilson, but it was much the same situation. And I get the feeling a lot of guys are every year for them. It's just how they do the draft.

4) The front office's strategy for creating and maintaining a championship caliber team is a plan they're sticking to very tightly. All of these major contracts were well anticipated, and were well a part of this plan for quite some time. That tells us that when Wilson is due his fat payday next year, it'll happen about the same way. They have the core in place right now to compete indefinitely, and that is simply amazing as a Seahawks fan.

5) The Legion of Boom between '12 and '18 is poised to become one of the greatest, most legendary units in football. The major components are young, healthy, and signed long term. Better still, they love it here, and their "always compete" mantra shows no signs of letting up. Quite astounding, if you think about it, to consider that 40 or 50 years from now, the Legion of Boom will be part of NFL lore as one of the all-time greats ever to take the field.

Man, it's good to be a Twelve!

This could possibly go down as post of the year! Great stuff Sailor!

mikeak

Reaction score
I love the guaranteed for injury but tiered performance guarantees. It is a great setup and I love it

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
With Richard Sherman‘s new deal, the Seahawks now have the NFL’s most expensive secondary with $85MM guaranteed to three players, notes Adam Caplan of ESPN.com (on Twitter).

LOB got paaaaaid. IMO both Kam and Earls deals are still going to be huge steals.

Wonder what happens to Maxwell now.

Sac

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":3fll3ow1 said:

He plays lights out and breaks the bank in free agency. We get a great comp pick in return and Tharold Simon steps up.

mikeak

Reaction score
vonstout":9eij28gj said:
Great article on the cap over the next few years

http://overthecap.com/thoughts-richard- ... -seahawks/

Yes good article but two flaws that I see in it.

Two thoughts that should have been included. 1) Seattle may be able to roll over $11 million from this year which basically wipes our Sherman's cap hit next year. 2) Russell Wilson gets an extension next year - not a new contract. So the only cap hit is a portion of the signing bonus. In other words 2015 cap looks great prior to accounting for expected increase..

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":9sphxqy4 said:
Ziggyy108":9sphxqy4 said:

He plays lights out and breaks the bank in free agency. We get a great comp pick in return and Tharold Simon steps up.
Bingo. 2nd CB is our go to compensatory pick and FA moneymaker kind of similar to Green Bay and New England with their WR's.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1dthcwj2 said:
Ziggyy108":1dthcwj2 said:

Bingo. 2nd CB is our go to compensatory pick and FA moneymaker kind of similar to Green Bay and New England with their WR's.

Cartire

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":264sck3o said:
Ziggyy108":264sck3o said:

Everything you said makes sense. And I believe it is correct. Except Tharold Simon.

Maxwell is gonna get rich on the Bucs in 2015. Simon will reach Nickel at best.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
McGruff":190y08i8 said:
EverydayImRusselin":190y08i8 said:
So assuming they balance out the deal over 5 years, we're going from $15m in cap space down to ~$5m.

"Effing A Cotton, Effing A"

That's not the way works. That's not how any of this works!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: