Seahawks Presser at 11am Wed-Sherm's extension signed!

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":vnwfocgx said:
MadSweeney":vnwfocgx said:
I don't think with the new CBA that they can touch the final year of these contracts.

I believe Kam had the last year of his previous deal re-done when he signed his extension, so that's not true.

Kam was signed under the old CBA.

It was similar to Thomas. His remaining money on his original deal was converted to his base salary. They can be reworked in the sense that they have at lease the same cap hit that they would have absent the extension once eligible for one.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":spqd662h said:
MidwestHawker":spqd662h said:
This looks like a great deal. My eyes bugged out when I first did the math and found it to be over $14m/year, but since it's an extension this will work out well. I assume it was structured intelligently, because c'mon now, John Schneider doesn't do things any other way.

Yeah when you consider this year he was only making a little over 1M .. it makes it look a lot better.

I guarantee if Sherman hit FA, he'd have gotten more than a 5-year deal paying 11M and change per year. Guessing they will structure it in a way to take advantage of his 2014 salary being so low

This deal is an absolute steal for us Seahawks fans! 11.8m per? I think if he would have hit FA, he would have gotten 13.5 million per year or MORE from some desperate team. By 2015 the cap would go up and somebody like Oakland would have tons of cap space.

I love Richard Sherman for who he is, what he, his family and his foundations represent, or for what he has done for his team and fans by doing this contract, this way. :th2thumbs:

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Been 20mins waiting for the presser. :(

Want to go jogging but also really want to watch the presser.

suppaball

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2we9mtwl said:
Been 20mins waiting for the presser. :(

Want to go jogging but also really want to watch the presser.
Download the app for your phone it's just seahawks in App Store then you can listen and jog.

General Manager

Reaction score
Sherman is locked up. LOB is alive and well Epic awesome amazing the best corner in the NFL is staying here in Seattle.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":1mag1a9i said:
DavidSeven":1mag1a9i said:
MadSweeney":1mag1a9i said:
I don't think with the new CBA that they can touch the final year of these contracts.

I believe Kam had the last year of his previous deal re-done when he signed his extension, so that's not true.

Kam was signed under the old CBA.

It was similar to Thomas. His remaining money on his original deal was converted to his base salary. They can be reworked in the sense that they have at lease the same cap hit that they would have absent the extension once eligible for one.

Kam's base salary in 2013 was $3M, which is $2M more than what he was scheduled to make under the old deal as a 5th round pick. It wasn't merely a conversion. They tore his old deal up. Not the case with Earl.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
So assuming they balance out the deal over 5 years, we're going from $15m in cap space down to ~$5m.

"Effing A Cotton, Effing A"

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
EverydayImRusselin":2uvw87vy said:
So assuming they balance out the deal over 5 years, we're going from $15m in cap space down to ~$5m.

I doubt it will be a balanced deal. They'll want to backload it so that his salary goes up along with the (likely) expanding salary cap.

I wonder what the signing bonus is.

McGruff

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":dvq2rpyx said:

That's not the way works. That's not how any of this works!

kidhawk

Reaction score
10247379_10152028842971722_4710534643938814787_n.jpg

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":3fqyntew said:
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/live.html

We are go!

Old white dudes with laptops, my favorite show!

McGruff

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":17lf0dve said:
EverydayImRusselin":17lf0dve said:

I doubt it will be a balanced deal. They'll want to backload it so that his salary goes up along with the (likely) expanding salary cap.

I wonder what the signing bonus is.

Yeah, you are probably looking at a large signing bonus and the first 2-3 years guaranteed salaries to add up to $40 million guaranteed, and larger salaries at the back end.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pete and John say they had Sherman rated higher than 5th round in 2011 but waited based on their research of where he would be taken.

AgentDib

Reaction score
$58.8m/5 comes out to $11.76m per year for five years; probably better to call it just under $12m/yr then $11m+.

That would have been a very good deal for Sherman over five years if he was a free agent. It's not quite as good once you factor in that he was already under contract for 1.434m this year, as that is an opportunity cost that increases the $11.8/year number.

The key to understanding these extensions is recognizing how important locker room chemistry is to the front office. Letting one of their best players play out a cheap rookie deal would have been a distraction. Morale and attitude are important factors in their business decisions and were worth giving up the cheap year for.

Laloosh

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3savt9ue said:
Locked up Pete Carroll, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, and Michael Bennett for the next few years....

Good off-season.

Trey Wingo called it, "exemplary" and I have to agree.

Latest posts