Seahawks QB Russell Wilson named MVP by Pro Football Focus

pehawk

Reaction score
I see both sides.

You're not good at this.

Check mate.

Tical21

Reaction score
Oh, and I’m @ScottVMeyers on Twitter, if anyone is interested. Would love to interact with y’all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We can switch to football at any time. I tried to steer it that way remember? This is on you Scott.

pehawk

Reaction score
I do wanna see examples of Scott brown nosing Alex and Evan. I'll unfollow him immediately.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2khwuaug said:
John63":2khwuaug said:
interesting line form article

"
“While Jackson had an entire offense built around his strengths and had a coaching staff that embraced analytics to extend drives and steal fine winning margins, Wilson was dealing with a situation that consistently put him behind the eight ball then asked him to dig the team out of a hole,” PFF writer Sam Monson wrote. “The fact that he was able to do just that as consistently as he did only stands testament to his MVP-caliber season.”

Sure seems like one could infer that the guy is claiming the Hawks offense isn't built around RW's strengths. Another implication sort of centers on what many of us have complained about for a long time regrading PC's offensive philosophy: Very little risk/innovation in the first half of games which leads to the need for a furious 4th quarter comeback..."

Interestingly the over all sentiment is shared by all the experts.

Jackson's offense is geared around him as a runner and passer, and putting his career at risk from the hits he takes.

PC changed that approach with Wilson years ago. And while many argue the offense doesn't fit RWs skill set, he signed two large extensions and accepts the money to play here, happily.

That large investment in the QB who would be so much better if the coach and GM could just give him on O-line, limits the teams ability to sign better O-line players.

And defensive players, skill players, etc., etc.

For all the nonsense about the staff limiting his potential, they have helped RW become the richest man in football, and he clearly appreciates that as he collects those checks. And here he is getting MVP credentials now, too.

RWs actions are pretty loud here. Rest is just noise from armchair coaches. They can all get better. But RW needs to do his part too
Being awarded the MVP by Pro Football Focus says that RW IS "Doing His Part".

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3s4w2e98 said:
There a some here who want to turn this news into a negative.

He's certainly not a MVP b/c he's the only show in town. He is however the engine of our O and has been special in manufacturing team lead late game recoveries. Wilson is a remarkable talent. There is to me little doubt he was most valuable player to the Seahawks and comparatively more so than the others who were close.

This is a deserved honour.
:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
austinslater25":1v979uuo said:
Uncle Si":1v979uuo said:
Scorpion05":1v979uuo said:
Russell Wilson has made Russell Wilson the richest man in football. He’s overcome adversity, never missed a game, and makes plays no matter what injuries or chaos happens around him. Players won’t leave a team if they can get the stability. Teams can also franchise tag a player...twice. Great Quarterbacks aren’t going anywhere on most teams, no matter how flawed.

I sincerely hope we build a team specifically for Russell Wilson. Pete still builds this team like its 2013 and that the passing game is a liability to the run game and defense. He wants a physical football running team, even though it leads to injuries.

I want us to get faster. Draft a true number 3. A Mecole Hardman type that can take the top off a defense. Invest in the O-line. Pete can maximize young defensive talent.

An offense that can protect, with a QB that can beat the blitz, scramble, and drop deep bombs would be extremely dangerous. We have the potential, I just hope Pete pulls the trigger. Prioritize building around Wilson, the way an offensive coach like Reid and Payton have done for Mahomes, Brees.

Brees success is no different than Wilson's. They built their winning teams around him, While Seattle had more balance8.

Mahomes is on a rookie contract. Pretty easy to build around him.

This is the flawed logic of this discussion. You can't build a team around one player without it leaving other areas short. PC has done better than most in trying to create balance.

I guess what I'm inferring here is how the FO handles the draft and free agency. Thus is a huge off season

You may be right or Wilson is a generational talent that covers up some of Pete's failures. I don't think there is an easy answer and it's fluid but I lean towards Wilson covering up for a failure to put together a decent line. That is the biggest failure of Pete's efforts which is odd because the style he wants to run works best with a good line. Running and deep vertical passing off of that work best with a good line and yet they've failed. Wilson with his ability to play of script and move has masked this. I'm not saying Pete has done a terrible job he's done really well in most areas, it's just odd he failed in what was probably the most crucial for system.

This is a huge off season though and I think they make some big splash plays because Pete knows he only has a couple years left. He's going to go all in
I think where the O-line is concerned, They've decided that if they were gonna have a deficiency, it was gonna be in pass pro vs run blocking. They collected a bunch of run blockers that are pretty good at that when relatively healthy and just so-so in pass pro. The effectiveness running + play action is enough to be decent in pass pro. When 1/2 starters go down, the run threat goes away, and pass pro is a disaster. The path they've taken with O-line really can't afford many injuries or any really long duration injuries. It would be nice to hit on a couple of young guys in that position group that come out of the box, just average for the NFL.
I think Russell's skill set being what it is, is the reason they've gone that route. At some point though, they're gonna have to solidify that position group because Russell is only going to get older and less elusive.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Nothing to disagree with. I would argue they're not all that great at run blocking either as Carson Lead the league in broken tackles. But regardless you're overall point is right. Good post.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
austinslater25":17geby86 said:
Nothing to disagree with. I would argue they're not all that great at run blocking either as Carson Lead the league in broken tackles. But regardless you're overall point is right. Good post.
They're effective for what we want to do in the run game, but the margin is slim. Britt goes down, they're still pretty effective running and holding up in pass pro (when Hunt doesn't get steam rolled). Once we sustained a couple more injuries, the running game was sporadic at best. The entire play book and what you can successfully call, run or pass at that point is extremely restricted. It's no different than a pass first team like KC losing to many guys up front and not being able to protect. Teams like that pass to open up the run as a secondary option. If they can't protect, everything else is a struggle from the first snap.

It's why I don't care for the "just go to the short passing game" narrative. There are way too many moving parts for things to be that simple. None of us know enough about the playbook or any specific game day gameplan to even make an educated guess on what adjustments should be made. There's one thing you can't adjust for and that's depleted personnel. Late in the season, you got what you got and anyone you can pick up of the street isn't gonna be an upgrade. If you get to the point we were with the O-line, it's all duct tape and paper clips the rest of the way.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2loh8rvh said:
austinslater25":2loh8rvh said:
They're effective for what we want to do in the run game, but the margin is slim. Britt goes down, they're still pretty effective running and holding up in pass pro (when Hunt doesn't get steam rolled). Once we sustained a couple more injuries, the running game was sporadic at best. The entire play book and what you can successfully call, run or pass at that point is extremely restricted. It's no different than a pass first team like KC losing to many guys up front and not being able to protect. Teams like that pass to open up the run as a secondary option. If they can't protect, everything else is a struggle from the first snap.

It's why I don't care for the "just go to the short passing game" narrative. There are way too many moving parts for things to be that simple. None of us know enough about the playbook or any specific game day gameplan to even make an educated guess on what adjustments should be made. There's one thing you can't adjust for and that's depleted personnel. Late in the season, you got what you got and anyone you can pick up of the street isn't gonna be an upgrade. If you get to the point we were with the O-line, it's all duct tape and paper clips the rest of the way.

We know when we go uptempo/change tempo. Quick passing we move and score at will.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1zi9yzn9 said:
I’m convinced Wilson is tired of the lame duck no show offense in the first 3 quarters.
After 8 long years and tons of money he should be..
I've been waiting for him force that change,kissing PC's ass wasn't going
to make that happen..

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":1mlpt9hx said:
OrangeGravy":1mlpt9hx said:
austinslater25":1mlpt9hx said:

We know when we go uptempo/change tempo. Quick passing we move and score at will.
You do realize (you don't) that we tried a quick passing approach unsuccessfully several times this season after it worked originally. It is not sustainable for us. Uptempo they should probably try more. But do you notice how we often get up to the line with like 12 seconds left and then don't snap it until the last second? Why do you suppose that might be?

Either way, I'm just so pumped we have our Anthony! back.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tical21":1nb2rq3g said:
John63":1nb2rq3g said:
OrangeGravy":1nb2rq3g said:
austinslater25":1nb2rq3g said:

You do realize (you don't) that we tried a quick passing approach unsuccessfully several times this season after it worked originally. It is not sustainable for us. Uptempo they should probably try more. But do you notice how we often get up to the line with like 12 seconds left and then don't snap it until the last second? Why do you suppose that might be?

A new day...

Ozzy

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":19xkpxsd said:
And throw some Sriracha on any pizza or Mac and Cheese, that sh** is the bomb

I'll have to try that. I'm on a BBQ sauce on Mac and Cheese lately.

Tical21

Reaction score
austinslater25":3c4xgs9l said:
Tical21":3c4xgs9l said:
John63":3c4xgs9l said:
OrangeGravy":3c4xgs9l said:

A new day
Seriously,

Latest posts