Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of going back and forth on being pissed off at Seahawks fans for making moral judgments on his character (not so much here at .NET, but in day to day discussions I have) and feeling pissed off at Russ for not accepting what is assuredly a very fair (I think Holmgren is in the know with his comments) contract offer that will pay Russ an insane amount of money while still allowing enough flexibility in keeping the Seahawks loaded with talent. I literally go back and forth over anger and understanding. I guess I'm the one taking it personal. Because I'm going schizophrenic over this whole thing.

I think guys like me have a hard time accepting the fact that Russ is putting himself first in all of this, and that sort of flies in the face of the public persona that he has built. This "Why not me?" belief in himself extends in multiple areas of his life. I can totally see him wanting to set precedence in how NFL contracts are structured. I don't believe the reports, but one I read talked about how he wanted Paul Allen to put his entire guaranteed salary into escrow before the ink was dry on his signature on the contract. And that just seems like Russ. Then you add Mark Rodgers into the equation and it kind of comes into focus.

The problem with all of that is Paul Allen won't do that, of course. And when both sides dig their heels in, it delays what might be inevitable - Russ is going to leave. If PCJS have taught us anything, it's that they have a vision that includes the other 52 guys on the roster, and if anyone has the balls to move forward without an organization's beloved QB, it's them. They believe, most likely, that they can repeatedly replicate the process. Which means, with Mr. Allen's support, they will not bend to Wilson and Rodgers.

But then, the Seahawks without Russ just doesn't compute.

Schizophrenic. I told you so.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think the hold up is the guaranteed money. I believe Russ is asking for a percentage no NFL team will ever do. So he has a big decision it seems.

Rob12

Reaction score
Whatever it is, it's getting old. Whether it's fair or not, whether it's wrong or not, his public persona is taking a hit. I love RW, but I love the Seahawks more and trust PCJS.

I honestly wonder what this is doing in the locker room? I'm sure there are many that support what Russ is doing but probably just as many that are growing tired of it.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Rob12":325tx8fi said:
Why are people taking this so personally? He's "distancing himself from the fan base?" That's BS.

What is Newton's APY? Isn't it $20.8M? It's close to that. So it's some huge surprise, and a slap in the face, that he's turning down a deal that might be extremely similar to a QB that can't carry his jock?

What am I missing here?

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman has done a bang-up job in two years but has been extremely frugal. He didn't even draft Cam so I doubt he paid more than market value. Bill Barnwell of Grantland just put Cam at 22, Wilson at 9, and Rodgers at 1 on his own top 100. How is the reported offer not fair?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
If all of these rumors turn out to be true then I have seriously lost so much respect for Russ. He is not even the best QB and he still wants to get paid like that.

Lets just hope this all bullshit and Wilson goes back to being the charismatic leader that he is and signs a fair contract both sides are happy with.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Rob12":2uxp0bzq said:
Why are people taking this so personally? He's "distancing himself from the fan base?" That's BS.

What is Newton's APY? Isn't it $20.8M? It's close to that. So it's some huge surprise, and a slap in the face, that he's turning down a deal that might be extremely similar to a QB that can't carry his jock?

What am I missing here?
The answer to why people are taking this personally is quite an easy one. Wilson has set high expectations, especially regarding his character. He has created a persona, and image of himself that he, nor anyone else could ever expect to live up to. This is one reason why I've always seen Wilson's public persona as phony, and contrived.

I think this off-season we've got a glimpse of the real Russell Wilson. I'm okay with that, he's a human being just like the rest of us. This is a classic case of never meet your heroes. That is not to say he's not a good guy, it's just that he's not THE guy that he presents himself as, that guy is a brand.

Currently, Wilson is taking a passive aggressive stance in the whole matter. I think that he has been unprofessional in the way he has handled the whole situation. Part of this is most definitely his choice of agent. His agent is taking an aggressive approach, and while he's diplomatic when talking to the media, he makes it quite clear what his preferred method is: free agency.

My guess is that he's going to try to hold the franchise hostage with the franchise tag, and looming contract negotiations with Andrew Luck. The way this agent is doing business is a little unorthodox by NFL standards. He's trying to make a name for himself in the NFL, and he's using Wilson to do it. The thing is, Wilson is also a guilty party here, he ultimately had to okay this plan, and he is ultimately going to be the one signing the name on that doted, contract line, it was Wilson that chose this agent.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":308ecltz said:
Rob12":308ecltz said:

What am I missing here?
The answer to why people are taking this personally is quite an easy one. Wilson has set high expectations, especially regarding his character. He has created a persona, and image of himself that he, nor anyone else could ever expect to live up to. This is one reason why I've always seen Wilson's public persona as phony, and contrived.

I think this off-season we've got a glimpse of the real Russell Wilson. I'm okay with that, he's a human being just like the rest of us. This is a classic case of never meet your heroes. That is not to say he's not a good guy, it's just that he's not THE guy that he presents himself as, that guy is a brand.

Currently, Wilson is taking a passive aggressive stance in the whole matter. I think that he has been unprofessional in the way he has handled the whole situation. Part of this is most definitely his choice of agent. His agent is taking an aggressive approach, and while he's diplomatic when talking to the media, he makes it quite clear what his preferred method is: free agency.

My guess is that he's going to try to hold the franchise hostage with the franchise tag, and looming contract negotiations with Andrew Luck. The way this agent is doing business is a little unorthodox by NFL standards. He's trying to make a name for himself in the NFL, and he's using Wilson to do it. The thing is, Wilson is also a guilty party here, he ultimately had to okay this plan, and he is ultimately going to be the one signing the name on that doted, contract line, it was Wilson that chose this agent.
Usually you live right up to your screen name concerning Wilson but the above post is spot on without any obvious agenda or bias.

Then again this is what any quarterback that's better than Alex Smith (17M) does if they have more than two functional brain cells.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3e22a0dl said:
Spin Doctor":3e22a0dl said:
Rob12":3e22a0dl said:

What am I missing here?

Usually you live right up to your screen name concerning Wilson but the above post is spot on without any obvious agenda or bias.

Then again this is what any quarterback that's better than Alex Smith (17M) does if they have more than two functional brain cells.
It really depends on what is being offered, and what Wilson, and his agent himself are trying to get. The number being thrown out now is 21 million, but I would be curious to see how that deal is structured. Another unknown factor is how the agent wants the deal to be structured. I think this is the biggest hold up, and it would be my guess that the agent wants a large chunk of Wilson's money to be guaranteed, especially given that his background is as a MLB agent. This is just conjecture on my part though.

As I said before though, I think ultimately the game plan for the Russell camp is to draw things out. They might not be able to use free agency, but they could certainly use the franchise tag. During year two of the franchise tag, the price of the tag becomes prohibitive.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Year 1-2 is fine but year 3 is what you termed prohibitive. The key for everyone is to relax and accept this may be just like the Flacco negotiation. Tell me is Baltimore hamstrung? Does Flacco's contact look insane now given the current market? No? So why are we stressing out?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The article I read said he has been offered a contract "with windows that could push it as high as 21 million but remain team friendly".

So what are these windows?

vonstout

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ugyjaod said:
Year 1-2 is fine but year 3 is what you termed prohibitive. The key for everyone is to relax and accept this may be just like the Flacco negotiation. Tell me is Baltimore hamstrung? Does Flacco's contact look insane now given the current market? No? So why are we stressing out?

Flacco's contract prevented them from signing Bolden and Torry Smith/Ngata this year. The same thing will happen in the next couple of years for us. Irvin and Okung are already gone. If they don't sign Wagner this year, he'll be gone next year. The fact that numerous players on D took less money to keep the team together makes Wilson look bad. I think Wilson has impacted Bennett's holdout.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Again what are these windows? Is Wilson being offered 21 or is he being offered 18 with a chance to increase that to something close to 21? Maybe the sticking point is only that Wilson would like them to spend more money on the OL instead of raising Bennett's pay? We really don't know what the hold up is.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
mikeak":3kzat49m said:
BadgerVid":3kzat49m said:
Why should he sign for $21M starting in '16 before the '15 season...? One chance in a thousand that he can't get more by waiting UNTIL '16 to sign.

Why?
Because $100 millionish now is better than playing on one year contracts for 3 years for the upside of getting $105 million later

If we were talking $200 if he waited then yes take the risk, but the difference in what he will get does not justify the risk

Where are you getting $100M? This contract is likely to be a maximum of $63M based on the wording of the article...with the unchanged salary of $1.5M for '15, a maximum total of $64.5M for his next 4 years and a guarantee in the neighborhood of MAYBE $30M. Or he plays 2 years on the franchise tag, that is likely to add up to somewhere around $55M when lumped with the same $1.5M for '15 over a period of 3 seasons (including very close to that guaranteed amount in '16 alone), clearly a higher average than this reported "huge" offer.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2pajcimw said:
If all of these rumors turn out to be true then I have seriously lost so much respect for Russ. He is not even the best QB and he still wants to get paid like that.

Lets just hope this all bullshit and Wilson goes back to being the charismatic leader that he is and signs a fair contract both sides are happy with.
Got it, so you must obviously lose respect for anyone you know who asks for a pay raise. :roll:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
vonstout":334hrng4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":334hrng4 said:

Flacco's contract prevented them from signing Bolden and Torry Smith/Ngata this year. The same thing will happen in the next couple of years for us. Irvin and Okung are already gone. If they don't sign Wagner this year, he'll be gone next year. The fact that numerous players on D took less money to keep the team together makes Wilson look bad. I think Wilson has impacted Bennett's holdout.
What players took less? Please go into further detail

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
This latest news... Seattle is offering $21M/year.... combined with what Holmgren shared on Softie's show makes sense to me.

Seattle wants to slot him below Rodgers and Rapelisberger... Wilson wants another $1M/year to get above those two.

He wants to be the top paid NFL player... even if it's only for a year or less.

vonstout

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1lwmoa3q said:
vonstout":1lwmoa3q said:
MizzouHawkGal":1lwmoa3q said:

What players took less? Please go into further detail

Bennett and Avril both took less than market value. Cam Chancellor's contract is very team friendly too. His cap hit is relatively low until the last year.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1p3p1fso said:
This latest news... Seattle is offering $21M/year.... combined with what Holmgren shared on Softie's show makes sense to me.

Seattle wants to slot him below Rodgers and Rapelisberger... Wilson wants another $1M/year to get above those two.

He wants to be the top paid NFL player... even if it's only for a year or less.

Only it doesn't actually say that Seattle is offering 21 million per year. The actual wording says a team friendly contract with windows that could push it near 21 million. So maybe the sticking point is those windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.