Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2rsi2lk5 said:
Yeah.. Wilson isn't signing, and we're headed for a season where he could very well go Joe Flacco and win another Super Bowl then really raise the bar on his salary demands.

Win another Super Bowl? Actually, I'd be fine with that.

lobohawk

Reaction score
From today's SI MMQB article. Interesting take on the Roger comparison that everyone fixates on. Usually on the view he doesn't deserve what Rogers was offered (which also discounts the inevitable inflation within the NFL QB market).

"Is five years at $22 million per so drastically out of whack? That’s the current champeen of NFL contracts. Aaron Rodgers signed it two-and-a-quarter years ago with the Packers. The salary cap when he signed, in 2013, was $123 million. Now it’s $143.8 million. Rodgers’ Packer contract in 2013 was, on average, taking up 17.9 percent of the Green Bay salary cap. An equivalent contract today, when the cap has risen to $143.3 million, would be $25.6 million annually."

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/07/27/training-camp-minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson

Edit: the ways those numbers work called into question on the packer chat mentioned in the last msg

ptisme

Reaction score
lobohawk":1zy36r1a said:
From today's SI MMQB article. Interesting take on the Roger comparison that everyone fixates on. Usually on the view he doesn't deserve what Rogers was offered (which also discounts the inevitable inflation within the NFL QB market).

"Is five years at $22 million per so drastically out of whack? That’s the current champeen of NFL contracts. Aaron Rodgers signed it two-and-a-quarter years ago with the Packers. The salary cap when he signed, in 2013, was $123 million. Now it’s $143.8 million. Rodgers’ Packer contract in 2013 was, on average, taking up 17.9 percent of the Green Bay salary cap. An equivalent contract today, when the cap has risen to $143.3 million, would be $25.6 million annually."

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/07/27/training-camp-minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson

Edit: the ways those numbers work called into question on the packer chat mentioned in the last msg
Yeah, From that link it doesn't look like Rodgers will be more than 14 percent of the packers salary cap (depending on what the cap does in future years). If Wilson wants to make slightly more than Rodgers (if looking at this from a percentage of cap) they would need to pay him 21.5 million (based on a 143.3 cap).... I think the cap is going to keep sky rocketing giving the advertisers are flooding to sports (as it's really the only thing we aren't DVRing through commercials on overall).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
To get back to the original topic, so a week before training camp (which many believe to be the deadline for contract talks for Wilson this year) it comes out that the Hawks have offered Wilson a "huge" contract?

This either means one of two things, and sadly there's no way to know which one it means:

1) It means absolutely nothing, and Florio is just generating clicks.

2) The Hawks leaked this and are trying to negotiate through the media/keep fans on their side because they see the chances of Wilson re-signing this year to be slim to none. It's pretty simple, the more fans turn on Wilson for his "unrealistic" demands the better position the Hawks are in to not give him what he wants.

No idea which of these two is going on, but it's gotta be one of them.

jblaze

Reaction score
This is what I think is happening here:

1. The Seahawks are offering a NFL standardized roughly 21m/yr contract in line with the Cam's and Ben's of the football world.

2. RW is trying to change the paradigm in NFL contracts regarding guaranteed money and structuring.

I really don't think JS/PC will change the way they do business for anyone so either RW needs to get in line with current contract dynamics or this will get long and nasty. It doesn't help that RW is dealing with a MLB agent who thinks getting players to free agency is paramount.

I don't blame RW for trying to get everything he can but I hope he doesn't try to change the world here as I doubt that would happen.

jblaze

Reaction score
By the way, via Trotter, Rogers is in Seattle this week for face to face meetings.

Good sign!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jblaze":1lg1i6m8 said:
This is what I think is happening here:

1. The Seahawks are offering a NFL standardized roughly 21m/yr contract in line with the Cam's and Ben's of the football world.

2. RW is trying to change the paradigm in NFL contracts regarding guaranteed money and structuring.

I really don't think JS/PC will change the way they do business for anyone so either RW needs to get in line with current contract dynamics or this will get long and nasty. It doesn't help that RW is dealing with a MLB agent who thinks getting players to free agency is paramount.

I don't blame RW for trying to get everything he can but I hope he doesn't try to change the world here as I doubt that would happen.

I agree that is what is happening. Almost everyone who has a source close to what is going on has said that if RW was willing to accept a deal in line with recent QB deals, this would be done already.

byau

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26gut0u6 said:
To get back to the original topic, so a week before training camp (which many believe to be the deadline for contract talks for Wilson this year) it comes out that the Hawks have offered Wilson a "huge" contract?

This either means one of two things, and sadly there's no way to know which one it means:

1) It means absolutely nothing, and Florio is just generating clicks.

2) The Hawks leaked this and are trying to negotiate through the media/keep fans on their side because they see the chances of Wilson re-signing this year to be slim to none. It's pretty simple, the more fans turn on Wilson for his "unrealistic" demands the better position the Hawks are in to not give him what he wants.

I don't think it's 2) because the Hawks and Mark Rodgers and Russell Wilson have seemed to keep things very professional and amicable up until now and I can't see either side leaking something just to cause pressure.

When Rodgers stated on an interview a few weeks back on Brock & Salk that from what he's seen about 95% of everything out there is wrong, it made me realize that everything we've seen pretty much has been some rumor or some guess or something like that and nothing official from the two parties involved. And then a lot of people, including journalists and talk show hosts (including Brock and Salk) take all these things as truth and/or just blow it out of proportion.

So my guess (haha how ironic that I'm talking about all these things out there are just people making guesses about the situation) is that anything and everything you'll see will still just be conjecture until you see actual news of him signing or getting franchise tagged.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
byau":35ctvd2o said:

I don't think it's 2) because the Hawks and Mark Rodgers and Russell Wilson have seemed to keep things very professional and amicable up until now and I can't see either side leaking something just to cause pressure.
[/quote]

Not sure if I agree w/ that characterization. If we're talking about Wagner's contract, sure, there hasn't been a loose lip in the house. But for Wilson, from J.S. going to the media and talking about the need to keep a team together over just keeping one player, to Rodgers going to the media and trying to tamp down some of the (very likely) leaks from the Hawks about his unreasonableness (his position paper HAD to have been leaked by the Hawks; who else would know?) to Wilson's own public comments and vague tweets about disresepect, I think both sides have ALREADY used the media as a tool. All to say that someone doing so again wouldn't surprise me (although that doesn't mean they are in this case).

chris98251

Reaction score
HansGruber":1vc2zt23 said:
Spin Doctor":1vc2zt23 said:
HansGruber":1vc2zt23 said:
The Seahawks and Wilson both already know he'll be making $25m/yr avg over life of deal, with about 50-75% guaranteed. Anything less is Wilson giving Seattle a discount. There are 15 other owners and GMs ready to write that check tomorrow.

Allowing Wilson to get to free agency, even restricted, costs the Seahawks an extra $1-2m/yr because there are other teams willing to pay that. The Seahawks can't afford to let Wilson get to market and his agent knows that.

Further, the deluded homers I'm talking about are the Seahawk fans who think Wilson will accept less than 25m/yr avg money. If you seriously believe that, please share what you're smoking. I want some.
Tell me again why you think Wilson is worth 25 million a year? Especially to the Seahawks whom are near the bottom of the NFL in passing attempts. There was not one QB in the NFL paid 25 million dollars, in fact over the duration of the highest paid player in the NFL's contract (Rodgers) it averages out to about 20.4 million a year base, though last year he was paid around 23 million. So please, tell us again that we're smoking something good. Yes, he has won one superbowl, but he has done so on a team that is considered by many to be possibly a historically great team. His body of work is not enough to justify any team paying him 25 million a year, with 75 percent of his contract guaranteed.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Rodgers only has 54 million dollars guaranteed, which is a little less than 50% of the deal that he signed. Wilson is not going to get 75% of his contract guaranteed.

There is this concept in economics called "Supply and Demand". Whereby, the value of something is determined by what the market will pay, as well as by its rarity.

There are 16 NFL teams that would be THRILLED to pay Russell Wilson $25m/yr over a 6-yr deal AND give him 50-75% guaranteed. That is ALL that matters. All these silly comparisons to Rodgers are totally pointless.

No owner or GM is sitting around arguing Rodgers vs Wilson stats or anything else. Owners like Dan Snyder would think about ticket sales and merchandising, raising their PSLs by 20%, selling out season tickets for the life of that deal, and they're going to jump at that opportunity. In fact, Snyder would be out there offering Wilson $27m/yr with 80% guaranteed, if the opportunity was there.

So that is Wilson's market. And Wilson's agent is very aware of it. There's no way Wilson signs a deal significantly lower than he'd get on the open market. And what he would get on the open market would be the largest deal in NFL history.

I want to see the 16 teams you speak of, I think it would be closer to maybe 8.

Buffalo
Cleveland
Jacksonville
St Louis
Tampa Bay
New York Jets
Minnesota
Houston

Thats off the top of my head, now cap room and right offense and how he would fit I think may reduce that further. He needs a OC that would adjust to him and his skill set not expect him to fit into a cookie cutter situation, thats a big issue. He has that here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ptisme":3vqct2bw said:
First off, the strained calf had nothing to do with the offensive line. He pulled it on the crap field in Tampa with no defender around him. Secondly, if Rodgers came to Seattle you'd have a bunch of guys most people outside of Seattle never heard of, leading the league in receptions and touchdowns....

Can you say >CONJECTURE<, because that's all you're spewing, else why does GB NOT have a bunch of unknowns doing all this receiving and making all those fictitious TD's?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
what a distraction this will be ALL season if a deal is not reached...he better pray extra hard to his god that he has a good year and doesn't get hurt...21 million is more than fair. If he wants the entire contract guaranteed he is out to lunch and it would set a very dangerous precedent. I have actually held off buying a Wilson jersey as he might be on another team in a couple years....

chris98251

Reaction score
We have a team in our own conference that was snake bit by the big contract in the Rams with Bradford, he got hurt and collected big time, for the Seahawks they need to ensure if he gets injured that they are protected as a franchise as well.

Rob12

Reaction score
A deal is going to be announced on the first Blue Friday of the year - July 31, the first actual day of camp. It'll set the tone perfectly for the season.

HansGruber

Reaction score
45Hawker":fph7hbly said:
HansGruber":fph7hbly said:
There is this concept in economics called "Supply and Demand". Whereby, the value of something is determined by what the market will pay, as well as by its rarity.

There are 16 NFL teams that would be THRILLED to pay Russell Wilson $25m/yr over a 6-yr deal AND give him 50-75% guaranteed. That is ALL that matters. All these silly comparisons to Rodgers are totally pointless.

No owner or GM is sitting around arguing Rodgers vs Wilson stats or anything else. Owners like Dan Snyder would think about ticket sales and merchandising, raising their PSLs by 20%, selling out season tickets for the life of that deal, and they're going to jump at that opportunity. In fact, Snyder would be out there offering Wilson $27m/yr with 80% guaranteed, if the opportunity was there.

So that is Wilson's market. And Wilson's agent is very aware of it. There's no way Wilson signs a deal significantly lower than he'd get on the open market. And what he would get on the open market would be the largest deal in NFL history.
You state many opinions as fact. So much that I don't know if you're forgetting a /sarc tag or trolling.

Anyways. Regarding the bold above: Maybe I lack understanding or reading comprehension skills, but you seem to be ignoring a constraint that all owners have: The salary cap. So Dan Synder raises PSL's - so what? He's still limited by the cap, right? What am I missing?

IMO, all owners can afford to pay a single player $27m/yr year. The question is, is the player worth $27m/yr at the expense of quality players and depth on the rest of the team? And, that's why the comparisons to Rodgers comes into the conversations.
Snyder has been fighting the salary cap for years. When he wanted Haynesworth, he just cut and traded to make room, restructured some contracts, and gave Fat Albert the money. He's notorious for it. I'm not surprised you're unaware though.

As to your continued blabber about Rodgers: Aaron Rodgers already has a deal. So I don't even know why you're still talking about him. I'm starting to wonder if you know how this free agency thing works.

Player becomes available.
Teams make offers to player.
Player's agent negotiates.
Player signs his favorite deal.

If you are the team trying to argue whether a 2-superbowl QB is as good as some other superbowl QB to save a few bucks, you LOSE.

But keeping smoking that pipe and pass it over here while you're at it. I want to believe too!! LOL

Oh and if I'm a troll, take my bet. It's real. If Wilson doesn't get top money, you win.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
chris98251":3m6i9irk said:
HansGruber":3m6i9irk said:
Spin Doctor":3m6i9irk said:
HansGruber":3m6i9irk said:
The Seahawks and Wilson both already know he'll be making $25m/yr avg over life of deal, with about 50-75% guaranteed. Anything less is Wilson giving Seattle a discount. There are 15 other owners and GMs ready to write that check tomorrow.

Allowing Wilson to get to free agency, even restricted, costs the Seahawks an extra $1-2m/yr because there are other teams willing to pay that. The Seahawks can't afford to let Wilson get to market and his agent knows that.

Further, the deluded homers I'm talking about are the Seahawk fans who think Wilson will accept less than 25m/yr avg money. If you seriously believe that, please share what you're smoking. I want some.
Tell me again why you think Wilson is worth 25 million a year? Especially to the Seahawks whom are near the bottom of the NFL in passing attempts. There was not one QB in the NFL paid 25 million dollars, in fact over the duration of the highest paid player in the NFL's contract (Rodgers) it averages out to about 20.4 million a year base, though last year he was paid around 23 million. So please, tell us again that we're smoking something good. Yes, he has won one superbowl, but he has done so on a team that is considered by many to be possibly a historically great team. His body of work is not enough to justify any team paying him 25 million a year, with 75 percent of his contract guaranteed.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Rodgers only has 54 million dollars guaranteed, which is a little less than 50% of the deal that he signed. Wilson is not going to get 75% of his contract guaranteed.

Buffalo
Cleveland
Jacksonville
St Louis
Tampa Bay
New York Jets
Minnesota
Houston

Thats off the top of my head, now cap room and right offense and how he would fit I think may reduce that further. He needs a OC that would adjust to him and his skill set not expect him to fit into a cookie cutter situation, thats a big issue. He has that here.

Why are the Vikings part of this list? Bridgewater is going to be the Franchise QB there. He had nothing around him at all last year, wasnt even supposed to be the starter, and did pretty well the last half of the season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Because it's Minnesota, with them it doesn't have to make sense. Also the second coming of Fran would be a huge Marketing tool. Hey they went and got Brett.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jblaze":hj8uscrp said:
By the way, via Trotter, Rogers is in Seattle this week for face to face meetings.

Good sign!
Cool, Aaron Rodgers as RW's backup! :th2thumbs: :sarcasm_off:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":5wjqfe9n said:
HansGruber":5wjqfe9n said:
Spin Doctor":5wjqfe9n said:
HansGruber":5wjqfe9n said:

Buffalo
Cleveland
Jacksonville
St Louis
Tampa Bay
New York Jets
Minnesota
Houston

Meh, I could see Kansas City and Philadelphia among others on that list easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.