Seahawks Sign LSU Track Standout Cyril Grayson

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/thec1_/status/850117899532607489[/tweet]

Seattle senior personnel executive Ed Dodds was all over this recruitment effort.

How Cyril Grayson turned from little-known LSU track star to NFL receiver in 72 hours >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_4cd058c0-1e36-11e7-b823-dba2a044af17.html[/urltargetblank]

"Tuesday night

Grayson met with Seattle senior personnel executive Ed Dodds the night before pro day. A phone call from Dodds earlier in the day led to the dinner date at Baton Rouge’s Roux 61 restaurant. Grayson and several former LSU football players, including tight end DeSean Smith and defensive back Dwayne Thomas, were present at the dinner. “I called my brother and I was like, ‘I have a dinner date with Seattle,’” Grayson said. “I need a ride over there. He had a project to do. So I called an Uber.”"

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thec1_/status/851574908492668929[/tweet]

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
semiahmoo":16621bm3 said:
Small -n- fast so likely prone to injuries but might give us some decent games.

Roll the dice!

But he hasn't been injured on a football in 6 years...so there is some durability... :2thumbs:

bighawk

Reaction score
He averaged 26.1 yards per catch so with his desire he has a shot as PR or KR. No way they risk Lockett in the return game early in the season.

Josea16

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":14nrmq8u said:
Yes! Our new starting left tackle!
You sir made me smile. Actually it's a sensible signing to avoid unnecessary risk to Lockett.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Looks like a developmental John Ross type prospect.

I'm not going to say he amounts to anything, Seahawks have rewarded guys who have put in the work, and shown they can add something to the team. But that's up to Grayson.

I will say that I'll be rooting for him on his name alone, Cyril Grayson the name is awesome.

And I will say that I love the fact that the Seahawks continue to work the coal mines in hopes to uncover a diamond in the rough.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Josea16":tuo7vyib said:
nIdahoSeahawk":tuo7vyib said:
You sir made me smile.

I don't know why, it's pretty unoriginal at this point, pretty much every non Oline player added, someone has joked hes the new offensive line so and so.

:eek:

Josea16

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2k447diu said:
Josea16":2k447diu said:
nIdahoSeahawk":2k447diu said:
You sir made me smile.

I don't know why, it's pretty unoriginal at this point, pretty much every non Oline player added, someone has joked hes the new offensive line so and so.

Well it did and I stay far away from the OL bitching threads. Also it was a hard day at work and lightened my mood.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2lsfkmtm said:
Josea16":2lsfkmtm said:
nIdahoSeahawk":2lsfkmtm said:
You sir made me smile.

It was above the rim posting gold. Know it when you see it, mate.

440.gif

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
Josea16":3grz9qyu said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3grz9qyu said:
Josea16":3grz9qyu said:
nIdahoSeahawk":3grz9qyu said:
You sir made me smile.

Well it did and I stay far away from the OL bitching threads. Also it was a hard day at work and lightened my mood.
That was the goal of the post, happy to help sir!

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I see Practice Squad or a mystery injury and IR in his future, Richardson and Lockett will play, next season after being in the system or if someone goes down we may see him emerge.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He posted that time running in his skivies. How fast is he carrying the weight of a football uniform, full pads, and a helmet? I'll be surprised if he makes an impact here but hope he surprises. Personally I see this as a typical Pete get. Everyone says all this team needs is a left tackle and he gets us a guard. Every one says we need a tall possession receiver so Pete gets sub six foot receivers.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Diamond in the rough is a great call. Would think that he works out for us and at the very least we may be able to stash him on the practice squad. Backups seem to be more necessary at this point in time with our scheme.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
brimsalabim":v09bwp4y said:
He posted that time running in his skivies. How fast is he carrying the weight of a football uniform, full pads, and a helmet? I'll be surprised if he makes an impact here but hope he surprises. Personally I see this as a typical Pete get. Everyone says all this team needs is a left tackle and he gets us a guard. Every one says we need a tall possession receiver so Pete gets sub six foot receivers.

I'll trust Pete's judgment. It's a no-lose situation. If he can't play, he won't make the team. Be good to save wear and tear on guys in the preseason, especially in returning punts.

chrispy

Reaction score
Article says he was recruited out of High School as a DB. If he can add competition at returner, WR and multiple DB spots maybe there's more up side or real possibility of Practice Squad. He may be in the best shape of any rookie. I think the biggest benefit would be if he could convince Wilson, Baldwin or Lockett to spend a few hours with him before the draft and before Rookie Camp.

The other message of the article is that he had the choice to go elsewhere but chose Seattle because of the opportunity the Seahawks give regardless of draft position. Whether it's Grayson or the next guy, over time that mentality pays dividends.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ig9w9fz said:
Josea16":2ig9w9fz said:
nIdahoSeahawk":2ig9w9fz said:
You sir made me smile.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised that people only now saw that joke for the first time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":9tlnd6on said:
I am not sure why people have to turn everything into bashing Bevell, Cable or our O-line approach so going to ignore that and stick to the subject at hand.
sold him is more likely the organization and the FO - and for that we are among the best and it is thanks to PC and JS
:2thumbs:
There are some who look for every opportunity to sidetrack.....Being snarky seems to be what they thrive on.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Basis4day":2tc33vs1 said:
hawknation2017":2tc33vs1 said:
Can he still catch and hold onto the ball?

Maybe give him a try at punt and kick returner, and see how he does. He looks like a smooth runner with quick acceleration.

Love how this front office leaves no stone unturned.

[youtube]v8QplGD9apo[/youtube]

For perspective though, keep in mind that is HS tape.

LOL. You just shot that one down! High school highlights?
Why not draft Al Bundy then? He scored four touchdowns in a single game!

9ecefcc74c9fca466d215c8f744b9ab2

mikeak

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1dgd4m4e said:
mikeak":1dgd4m4e said:
.. the fact that he stuck with Track and didn't end up walking onto the team may have to do with scholarships and it may be because of the inept offensive minds they had at LSU for years

FWIW. He made the mistake of accepting a track scholarship early. Since he had an existing scholarship in a minor sport, he was not allowed to pursue a major sport scholarship until his junior year. By the time he was a junior, LSU wasn't interested in offering him a scholarship. Rather than changing institutions, he decided to finish out his time at LSU and take a shot as a UDFA.

Since he is a 5th year senior who didn't play football in college, he is allowed to sign prior to the draft.

Right - if he is good it just goes to prove the point that Les Miles doesn't understand modern football and especially as it relates to the offense

I mean just the fact that he was good enough to get a contract with an NFL team should have made the school interested in using him as a WR for what would have been at least 2 years.......