Seahawks Sign Multiple Players to Futures Contracts

Ruminator

Reaction score
Hoping Poole surprises in training camp, because I expected more from a high draft pick and was pretty underwhelmed by his preseason performance (difficulty assimilating a new offensive line notwithstanding -- but he also didn't seem to have the most impressive motor). He was picked #130 overall in the 2015 draft for crying out loud. Hope that while I'm expressing hope in a Net post, he's doing serious reps in a gym somewhere.

McGruff

Reaction score
Tylerhawk":3q5geh7e said:
Can someone tell me why Stanley Jean-Baptiste was let go he was a 2nd round pick in 2014. He looked like a sold CB made really big plays in college whats his down side or what does he need to work on.

The Saints went with big corners (Baptiste and Browner) but played them in a small scheme. It was bad GM-ing and coaching.

kjreid

Reaction score
McGruff":vqkmyqe4 said:
Tylerhawk":vqkmyqe4 said:
Can someone tell me why Stanley Jean-Baptiste was let go he was a 2nd round pick in 2014. He looked like a sold CB made really big plays in college whats his down side or what does he need to work on.

The Saints went with big corners (Baptiste and Browner) but played them in a small scheme. It was bad GM-ing and coaching.
living in Nebraska Jean-Baptiste has some very big plays BUT ALSO couldn't cover at all. I couldn't believe he was a 2nd rounder. All I can say about him is he reminds of my moms BBQ: Burned

sutz

Reaction score
kjreid":1gqn0zfy said:
All I can say about him is he reminds of my moms BBQ: Burned
I think you win the thread today. :laugh:

purpleneer

Reaction score
kearly":1wtoj837 said:
Josh Shirley is undersized, but otherwise would be a nice fit for the Bruce Irvin role.

Douglas McNeil was a fun player in training camp, then he just kind of vanished when the preseason games started. He's a big time competitor. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
Completely disagree. Shirley would be a big liability in any aspect of coverage. Irvin's value is that he can cover at a high level and be a good hand-on-the-ground rusher. There are guys who do each of them better, but pretty much every one of them does the other one at a lower level. Von Miller can do it, but is so much better as a rusher that he rarely covers.
Setting the corner is another way Shirley falls way short of even trying to be like Irvin. He really is just an undersized speed-rusher with a shortage of moves.

purpleneer

Reaction score
sutz":2mchxo51 said:
bjornanderson21":2mchxo51 said:
sutz":2mchxo51 said:
Drew Nowak!

Championship!

:laugh: :rofl:

Seriously, I hope he gets a chance and can develop some skills. Maybe long term he can be an asset.
There's always a chance he improves, so it's nice he has the opportunity to improve. He was really forced into a bad situation.

Only one team in the NFL had an offensive line situation so bad that they would let Nowak start, and that was us.

His ceiling is probably "serviceable backup" though.
Maybe. But he is a known quantity. Obviously nothing guaranteed as far as I know. They're just filling the pre-season roster for now. The more the merrier.
I think what the team did showed the opposite. He started because Lewis was and is the low ceiling guy, and they felt Nowak had more potential, and probably still do. He happened to be far from ready though, and the relatively low likelihood of getting near that high ceiling is the issue. The roster limits, practice regulations and lack of developmental opportunities sure don't help guys like him.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
purpleneer":3bs61zvy said:
kearly":3bs61zvy said:
Josh Shirley is undersized, but otherwise would be a nice fit for the Bruce Irvin role.

Douglas McNeil was a fun player in training camp, then he just kind of vanished when the preseason games started. He's a big time competitor. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
Completely disagree. Shirley would be a big liability in any aspect of coverage. Irvin's value is that he can cover at a high level and be a good hand-on-the-ground rusher. There are guys who do each of them better, but pretty much every one of them does the other one at a lower level. Von Miller can do it, but is so much better as a rusher that he rarely covers.
Setting the corner is another way Shirley falls way short of even trying to be like Irvin. He really is just an undersized speed-rusher with a shortage of moves.
'Shirley' you don't mean that. [emoji1]