Seahawks sign OL Steve Schilling

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":37n95gpw said:
Breno didn't have long arms and he played passably at RT when he wasn't false starting or holding. He is regarded as a tweener type G/T. I think he looks more like a G.
Breno was also 6-8. Schilling is 6-4. Schilling is not a Tackle, nor a tweener. He's an OG. If you put him at RT it would have to be an extreme emergency in which you're willing to accept the damage just to get through the game.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3pc5io5q said:
MysterMatt":3pc5io5q said:
Hey, if Schilling turns out to be a diamond in the rough, nobody will complain around here...hard as that is to imagine. In the meantime, however, his resume shows he's not been able to crack a starting lineup...or even claim a full-time roster spot as depth. For the moment, he's camp fodder.

True, but Breno was a practice Squad player who couldn't crack Green Bay's lineup even though their O-line was terrible. Sometimes different coaches and a different system can work wonders.

Not to say he'll automatically be good here, but if Cable previously identified him as a guy he wanted, maybe he's got a better shot in Seattle.
We shall see. I'm all for adding bodies to OL at this point.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Also, there's some familiarity between Schilling and the Hawks coaching staff dating back to Schilling's HS days. Tom Cable recruited him at UCLA, and assistant OL Coach Pat Ruel (and Pete Carroll) recruited him at USC.

OP
OP
Hawkfan77

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
sutz":3eorcry7 said:
HawkFan72":3eorcry7 said:
Brahn":3eorcry7 said:
Crazy how many "Camp Fodder" guys have made it around here.

Ain't that the truth. We shrug these guys off and then they turn into starters.

Even the Tony McDaniel signing was met with yawns last year.

We don't know anything.
This. ^^ And if the quotes from Cable are true, I think I already like the guy.

Typical fans, though. They complain that nothing has happened, and when something does happen, it's not enough. :laugh:
Yeah, no such thing as "camp fodder" anymore when it comes to this FO.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
More bodies for competition. I still hope we draft a guard. I believe you can't have too many linemen.

theascension

Reaction score
hmm I thought we'd be aiming for under 6'5 for our O-lineman (to help out Wilson). Still good competition.

canfan

Reaction score
MysterMatt":11mpp3ig said:
Hey, if Schilling turns out to be a diamond in the rough, nobody will complain around here...hard as that is to imagine. In the meantime, however, his resume shows he's not been able to crack a starting lineup...or even claim a full-time roster spot as depth. For the moment, he's camp fodder.

Of course , that was also the story for Brenno when he was picked off the Green Bay practice squad, so who knows? We can only hope for the best! :D

razor150

Reaction score
Considering how bad our OL is I personally don't consider any signings as camp fodder. Any scrub can possibly be better than the scrubs we have. If Schilling can't make it here he doesn't belong in the lesgue.

JZ#1

Reaction score
I watched him play in high school at Bellevue. He was an absolute stud then and was the talk of my friends.

two dog

Reaction score
Bellevue Wolverine
Michigan Wolverine

Comin' home. Ya never know. Actually he was pretty well regarded
in his draft class as I recall.Maybe coach Cable can find in him
what others could not.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I agree with mystermatt that the guy is likely camp fodder.

I think the hawks wouldn't mind dumping Carp to free up some cash and a roster spot to someone with better conditioning and health. Unfortunately they can't do that unless they have more people competing for backup spots.

As for Cable saying they wanted to draft this guy in 2011, I don't know why anyone would use that as a positive. Cable also wanted Carp and Moffitt and we are still trying to recover from it. This is a guy that cable rated LOWER than the two players I mentioned.

But in the end I support bringing in as many linemen as possible to compete. I just hope a lot of those guys have more to offer than what this guy probably does and that they have more of a shot at really taking a starting spot.

Jville

Reaction score
San Diego tinkered with converting to zone blocking while Schilling was there. But as I understand it, the Chargers remained principally a man/power scheme.

The good news is that Steve Schilling will be stepping into a Tom Cable zone blocking scheme. Different circumstances often produces different results. We'll discover Schilling's role in August. :D