OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Clayfighter":3hdvptuj said:
warden":3hdvptuj said:
Clayfighter":3hdvptuj said:
A London Hawk":3hdvptuj said:
I'm a little surprised by Denver's odds, considering the mauling they took in 48.

Maybe they like Denver's draft?

or their free agent signings this off season

Indeed. They went for broke.

T.J. Ward- second best SS in the game
+ Aqib Talib- top 5 CB
+ DeMarcus Ware- top 10 OLB
+ healthy Von Miller
= improved Broncos defense.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Because when a team full of old guys and free agents gets their butts kicked by a younger, more physical team, the best way to fix that is to go hire some more old guys and free agents that have never played together.

Denver's window closed for a long time last February. They know it, we know it, Manning knows it, everyone in the NFL knows it. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year, and if they do, they're going to lose early, typical Manning style.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HansGruber":28qot4sr said:
Because when a team full of old guys and free agents gets their butts kicked by a younger, more physical team, the best way to fix that is to go hire some more old guys and free agents that have never played together.

Ward and Talib are both in their prime. Both were All Pros last year. I think DeMarcus Ware is the only "old guy" they added.

HansGruber

Reaction score
hawknation2014":fdixz2s3 said:
HansGruber":fdixz2s3 said:

Ward and Talib are both in their prime. Both were All Pros last year. I think DeMarcus Ware is the only "old guy" they added.

I believe Ward and Talib would fall into the "free agents that have never played together" part. I've never seen that work in the past, but you never know. Maybe Denver is somehow able to change the makeup of their entire team with a few free agents. I'll have to say, after watching the complete beatdown of that team, that it's extremely unlikely though.

Their window has closed.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Denver won't be lucky to make the playoffs, but if San Diego takes another step forward and Rivers keeps up his level of play, it's possible that they miss out assuming KC is better than I think they are.

I still think they're better than KC and should earn at least a wild card, however. The AFCS and AFCE are sending one team apiece almost for sure.

amill87

Reaction score
HansGruber":2vxbg8u6 said:
Were you AT the home game against them last season? If you were, there is no way you'd be saying that about their safeties. Impressive play all around. Matheiu was on fire. Reminds me of Earl Thomas. Super fast, can close on anything, and was shadowing receivers as well as he was tackling. And he's not afraid to sneak up and hit the RB or blitz the QB.

And now they've got Deonne Bucannon back there for the 1-2 punch. If there is any safety in the NFL that reminds me of Kam Chancellor, it's this kid.

Frankly, if you're going to compare any secondary in the NFL to the Legion of Boom, it's going to be the Cardinals. Saying they're in two different "atmospheres" just makes your analysis seem casual at best. Especially after the draft.

Last in the division? Worse than the Rams? Okay......

The Cards secondary was the very definition of average last year. They were the weakness of the defense which is why teams chose to pass on them more than run on them, it definitely wasn't because their offense was forcing teams to pass.

Bucannon has not even played a snap. Let's let him make it through his rookie camp before we start comparing the safety duos.

The Rams have a better o line, better rb, better te, way better dline (the rams have the best dline in the league by far), a better lb corp and a better kicker.

The only area the cards are better than the rams are at cb, s, st, and maybe qb.

The Cards overachieved last year.

HawkWow

Reaction score
HansGruber":2bw68pjz said:
The Rams are strong, but that QB and coach is going to continue to lock them into mediocrity. I'm shocked that they didn't use all those first rounders to upgrade at QB, considering how loaded they are everywhere else. Even if you didn't like this year's QBs (at least one of whom will be better than Bradford), they should have traded all those picks to move up next year and get a QB. And Fisher continues to produce mediocre teams, regardless of talent.

You couldn't be further off base. What you suggest is how good young QBs (like Bradford) get ruined. The coach you knock resisted the sexy QB selection and instead got the best player in the draft. A player that will protect their FQB for a decade. If Bradford is healthy, he will enjoy protection he's never known before and the improved running game will also assist with his success. And why trade picks for next year's QB if you won't have protection in place for him? I'd hate to see another young QB, like Mariota, with a shortened career.

The Rams are the threat...not the Cards. Their O is better, their D is better and they have the better QB. Hell, I'd probably take Clemens over Palmer.

amill87

Reaction score
There are two ways to win a Super Bowl.

Get a HoF QB to carry your team or
Tear your team down and build a strong foundation through the draft.

The Cards had their chance with option 1. They didn't do it. Problem is they have never torn that team down cause they have always been mediocre. They think they are a couple pieces away and they take one step forward and two back because they don't have a strong core. Who is the Cardinals core? Fitzgerald, Campbell, and Peterson?

The Rams are climbing and they are climbing quick. They are doing it the only way you can without the hof qb.

IllWill49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2xxrxsb6 said:
HansGruber":2xxrxsb6 said:
At the risk of sounding like a traitor, the odds on the Cardinals looks very tempting. Outside of QB, they're probably the most loaded team in the NFL. Easily a Top-3 defense, if not better. The loss of Dansby was a setback, but they're still scary good. Wilson is still having nightmares about those DEs (best tandem in the game by a large margin), and a secondary that is just as good as the LOB while not being as well known.

The Browns are definitely on the way up, but still a year or two out. But they're probably the best defense in the AFC, and they are getting loaded on offense. They've shown a lot of progress since dumping Holmgren, as much as I hate to admit it. Trading Richardson was a brilliant move, and turning that trade into Johnny Manziel was a huge win no matter how he plays. I'm excited for Browns fans, who deserve to see a winning team for once.

The Rams are strong, but that QB and coach is going to continue to lock them into mediocrity. I'm shocked that they didn't use all those first rounders to upgrade at QB, considering how loaded they are everywhere else. Even if you didn't like this year's QBs (at least one of whom will be better than Bradford), they should have traded all those picks to move up next year and get a QB. And Fisher continues to produce mediocre teams, regardless of talent.
I was thinking the same thing about the Cards....40/1 for a team that barely missed the playoffs, that's a great value bet.
I fully expect the cards to bypass the forty whiners for the 2nd spot in the NFCW this year.

Cards don't seem to match up well with the Niners for whatever reason, that game in Seattle was a bit of an anomaly I mean Palmer throws 4 picks and you guys still lost ?? We then beat them in their house the next week when for all they know a playoff spot was on the line ?? The Cards don't scare me until they get a legit QB just like the Rams.