Seahawks View on Possible Extra Point Changes

dradee

Reaction score
HawkFan72":oivt3jxn said:
People want to change it because they say the extra point is the most boring play in sports.

There has been many exciting plays , Kam doing the jumps and countless more.

What the should allow is the defense to score the 1 point if they block it and run it back or also allow change of possession if a team blocks it and recovers the kick, no kick off.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
AgentDib":2eofz6x4 said:
An automatic seven points followed by the option to 'gamble' a point is interesting but has a major downside. The potential to lose points would lead to poor decisions as people behave differently when gambling for gains vs. gamblings for losses (Loss Aversion).

Fair point, but at the same time, it's really not functionally different than the current set up. Under the PAT system, if you go for two (more challenging), you risk getting only 6 if you fail but are rewarded with 8 if you succeed. The automatic 7 and option to gamble 1-point is basically the same thing, except you eliminate the need to kick.

I was never a fan of moving the PAT back -- I'm not a fan of any option that puts even more weight on each team's place-kicker.

Rat

Reaction score
Not every play needs to be entertaining, but I prefer when they are, so I don't mind extra points potentially being altered. I like the extra strategy.

Some of these proposals are more complicated than they need to be. I'd just move the kick back to the 25 (35 yard try). Moderately increases the degree of difficulty and gets more teams thinking about going for two.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
TDs could be worth 6 points with teams getting 4 downs to score 2 pts from the 25 yard line. If they kick a FG its 1 pt. Or you could elect to kick a 53 yard FG from either hash for 2 pts.

If teams fail the the extra point attempts electing to kick the 53 yard FG or using all 4 downs to score 2 the opposing teams offense starts automatically at the 30 yard line.

I don't think it should change either but the scenario above would be more exciting for sure.

I like Pete's take that the Defense would be able to score on extra point plays.

Safeties should also be worth 3 points with the team scored against getting the ball back automatically at their 15 yard line.

In today's NFL its kind of dumb awarding a team points and then giving ball back on a punt kick-off where the opposing teams offense usually starts at the 25-40 yard line.

Especially with Punters being so skilled in the art of field position kicking in today's NFL.

Both scenarios would help cut out volatile special teams play , reducing potential injury risk, which I think would help because the most violent Pro sport in the game has been reluctant adopt viable Disabled List and developmental league. IR and PS are a joke.

Teams should be able to develop rookies and inexperienced players without the risk of getting poached.

And I think teams should be able to suit up all 53 players, 25 on each side, offense and defense. With 3 ST only players: K, P, and a returner/gunner.

Then have a a developmental squad of 12 players that teams can keep without being poached. Those players would be able to move onto the active rosters due to injuries. Then be placed back onto the developmental roster when players come back from the disabled list.

Then I think the trading deadline should move to week 10. And I think you could see a more active trades between the developmental roster players because of injuries which would create more headlines = clicks/views which would generate revenue.

If the NFL, truly wants to become 20 game league, with expanded play-offs, and continue to grow the league world wide. I think it starts first by getting rid of injured reserve for a disabled list process and creating a developmental roster where teams can invest and grow their own players so they aren't stuck signing guys off the street or having to waste resources finding new players when thier guys get poached.

Latest posts