Holton Ahlers QB returns to Seahawks

SeaChat

Reaction score
I see our QB Holton Ahlers is back out on the practice field where he belongs and just in time. Drew Lock, our #2 QB was ruled out with a reported ankle injury this week and will not travel to Cincinnati for Sunday’s game with the Bengals. I can only assume that Holton was elevated to active status for this game and be available should Geno Smith not be able to play for any reason.

As this season has unfolded it’s been my observation that Holton Ahlers has been a real team player, and has made himself and his contractual terms and status negotiable to meet the teams Roster needs throughout.

I was relieved to see Holton’s name on our initial practice squad list, feeling he’d earned his place with his repeated preseason appearances, where he demonstrated that he was an exceptionally tough and talented quarterback.

Without wanting to sound to homerish, I think that in a straight up QB competition, that Ahler’s might emerge as the Seahawks starter. Geno has already earned that place and until he proves otherwise it will remain so. If Geno were to go down, I think the Seahawks would discover that they were still in good hands at QB.

I know I have all but erased Drew Lock from the picture in my presentation. I’m sure I’m not the only tea leaf reader in this bunch. It did strike me a little funny, but with the upcoming trade deadline approaching and so many teams desperate for a QB, and Drew develops a mysterious ankle injury, doesn’t show up for practice following a by week.

Coupled with Holton’s resigning and activation to the Seahawks 53 Man roster as the backup QB, it seems possible if not probable that The Seahawks are negotiating a trade deal for Drew Lock that would allow him to become a starter for another team, as a part of another John “The Magic Man” Schneider Blockbuster trade deal for our Seahawks.

You can bet “you’re sweet bippy” that John Schneider never rests, and in his own words “keeps his powder dry” should an opportunity present itself.

There’s also the distinct possibility that I’m completely full of hot air, and just spitting in the wind with all my premonitions. I’ve got a pretty active imagination, there’s no debilitating that.

Let’s Fly Seahawks!

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
There’s also the distinct possibility that I’m completely full of hot air, and just spitting in the wind with all my premonitions. I’ve got a pretty active imagination, there’s no debilitating that.
This is probably your most accurate statement. :LOL:

Oh, and spell check is not your friend. "Debilitating?" :oops:

olyfan63

Reaction score
You beat me to posting about the triumphant return of Holton Ahlers, savior of the franchise!
Locked on Seahawks was talking about this on Thursday IIRC, Drew tweaked his ankle, Geno is recovering from horsecollar tackle, need a QB on the PS who can play in an emergency situation, Ahlers is the best option readily available. Nothing much to see here.

The 2022-23 SF Playoffs 49ers would like a word advising you on the merits of having multiple serviceable options at QB.

An aspect of Ahlers game that's interesting, as an emergency injury fill-in QB, is that his running ability would present a threat the defense would not have been prepared for. So the Hawks might get a nice drive or two before the D adjusts.

It's appealing to think about getting a game-wrecking impact player for Drew Lock at trade deadline (Maxx Crosby please, or no deal), but to me, not that appealing because Lock, IMO, still has lots of untapped upside, the willingness to keep doing the work, and certainly has the physical traits. In Pete's system, it's plausible he could be our future QB1. Also, many playoff games have been won by QB2's pressed into service by QB1 injury.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You know how many PS QBs have been harped on but never amounted
to anything in the PC era?
I think he's just another passing through like the others did.