Seahawks worst red zone team (UPDATED-still worst in NFL)

Polk738

Reaction score
That screen play was just god awful, I mean seriously what did Bevel expect JG to do? Catch the ball and just run over people? He's not Tate. I just wasn't understanding the play calls- coming into this game the Hawks were first in rushing yards yet Lynch only gets 17 carries, and remember that guy who got 169 yards the game before? Yeah 2 carries for 8 yards. You would think Bevel would get Rawls more involved after the monster game he had to get first downs, but nope lets do a screen to JG, lets try a flea flicker to Lockette (which I'm glad worked btw but damn that play could've gone horribly wrong, had he not reached out for it) Too often I think we try and go for the big play rather than just focus on getting the first down.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
AaZQdSQ

UPDATE -- Though the halfway point of the season, the Seahawks are now even worse in the red zone than they were through the first four games, decreasing their red zone TD% rate by nearly four percentage points (from 33.33% to 29.41%).

They remain the statistical worst, despite having three of the best red zone threats in the league: Russell Wilson's throwing/scrambling, Jimmy Graham's jump ball ability, and Marshawn Lynch's tackle breaking.

To make matters infinitely worse, at CenturyLink, they are scoring TDs on just 16.67% of their trips to the red zone.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2015":37b0u5oj said:
They remain the statistical worst, despite having three of the best red zone threats in the league: Russell Wilson's throwing/scrambling, Jimmy Graham's jump ball ability, and Marshawn Lynch's tackle breaking.
Who's more at fault, Bevell or the OL?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
massari":2uh4al53 said:
hawknation2015":2uh4al53 said:
Who's more at fault, Bevell or the OL?

Both have shown improvement of late . . . but Bevell's play calling has shown less improvement than the offensive line in the red zone.

Hopefully, both areas of the team continue to grow, because we have sure left a lot of points out there on the field.

marko358

Reaction score
It's sad when you think that every time you switch the channel and watch the ineptitude on offense for SF, we're producing even less than them when it counts.

Anthony!

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":34tr3wfo said:
I've been bringing this up for a week. More notable is that we were almost twice as good last year, which also was poor (19th). This should have been the theme all offseason. I'm no Russel Wilson basher but he is struggling with his reads and vision. This should have been Russel's priority instead of working on increasing his speed. Carl Smith needs to take some responsibility also.

let me help you we are also the most penalized offense in the league in the redzone, give up the most sacks, hits, hurries in the redzone and as has been pointed out by Huard, Millan, and just about every expert out there we are also the most predictable in the redzone, Little of that is on Wilson. That said he has his culpability as well, though he is no higher than 4th on the list of issues

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2h9kdnos said:
AaZQdSQ

UPDATE -- Though the halfway point of the season, the Seahawks are now even worse in the red zone than they were through the first four games, decreasing their red zone TD% rate by nearly four percentage points (from 33.33% to 29.41%).

Damn :34853_doh: I knew we were bad in the RZ but that is just ridiculous.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
The sad thing is that Red Zone TD% based on the last couple of seasons is exactly why they gave up so much to get Graham, to get better at it than we were. And now not only are we not as good as we were in the red zone, we have fallen off a cliff. The excitement of getting Graham in the off-season and imagining how formidable our offense was going to be in the red zone this season has made this a million times more disappointing.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I was hesitant to blame them not throwing to Graham. A team doesn't generally just feed it to any receiver, they try to use formations to achieve favorable matchups. Those bubble screens we all hate? They call them when they see something they like with the defense.

But then I saw Graham split out wide and matched up with a CB last week, and Wilson didn't see it. He should have, and changed the play. How much authority he has to do that, we still don't know. Either he doesn't have the authority, or he's just not reading the whole field yet.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":pzkdybbz said:
seahawkfreak":pzkdybbz said:
I've been bringing this up for a week. More notable is that we were almost twice as good last year, which also was poor (19th). This should have been the theme all offseason. I'm no Russel Wilson basher but he is struggling with his reads and vision. This should have been Russel's priority instead of working on increasing his speed. Carl Smith needs to take some responsibility also.

let me help you we are also the most penalized offense in the league in the redzone, give up the most sacks, hits, hurries in the redzone and as has been pointed out by Huard, Millan, and just about every expert out there we are also the most predictable in the redzone, Little of that is on Wilson. That said he has his culpability as well, though he is no higher than 4th on the list of issues

Take this however you want, I am just posting some stats in regard to your reply,

From the 20 Wilson is 12 of 27(44.4%) for 82 yards, 3 TD, 2 INTs, 3 sacks which gives him a 57.9% QB rating.
From the 10 Wilson is 3 of 11 (27.3) for 13 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 1 sack which gives him a 79.2% QB rating.
From the 5 Wilson is 1 of 5 (20%) for 5 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 0 sacks which gives him a 79.2% QB rating

Red Zone Targets
Marshawn Lynch 2/4
Fred Jackson 2/2
Jimmy Graham 3/8
Luke Wilson 1/2
Jermaine Kearse 3/5
Chris Matthews 0/1
Doug Baldwin 1/2
Ricardo Lockette 0/2
Thrown away 1
(of these receiving targets mentioned only Lockette has a drop for the year but I do not know if it was in the red zone or not, cant blame the incompletions on dropped passes)

Red Zone Rushing
Wilson 6 for 38 yrds
Rawls 1 for 6 yrd
Lynch 19 for 23 yrds and 2 TDs(of Lynch's 19 attempts 6 were for negative yards and 3 were for 0 gain).

Red Zone Penalties:
The only red zone penalty the seahawks offense has had was vs the Lions and it was a Novak false start. The only opposing team defense penalty we get in our benefit when we are in the red zone was vs the Packers and that was a defensive offsides.

Red Zone Sacks:
Colin Kaepernick 6
Tom Brady 4
Teddy Bridgewater 4
Josh McCown 4
Jameis Winston 3
Russell Wilson 3
Eli Manning 2
Drew Brees 2
Sam Bradford 2
Carson Palmer 2
Joe Flacco 2
Cam Newton 2
Brian Hoyer 2
Alex Smith 2
Aaron Rodgers 2
Around 7 or so other QBs have 1 for the season

I can't locate any red zone qb pressure stats. All I can say there is at least you don't have to sit back and wait 4 seconds for go routes since the field is condensed.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The problem is compounded by having the 2nd fewest number of drives that have even reached the red zone.

Compared to this time last season, our red zone drive count has been cut in half (16 down from 28) despite having virtually an identical number of drives (84 down from 85) and yards per drive (30.82 down from 31.55). Our starting field position has dropped (own 27.1, down from 31.55).

We're moving the ball about the same. We're just failing miserably inside of the 20's when we get there.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":26w4qz8b said:
Anthony!":26w4qz8b said:
seahawkfreak":26w4qz8b said:

Take this however you want, I am just posting some stats in regard to your reply,

From the 20 Wilson is 12 of 27(44.4%) for 82 yards, 3 TD, 2 INTs, 3 sacks which gives him a 57.9% QB rating.
From the 10 Wilson is 3 of 11 (27.3) for 13 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 1 sack which gives him a 79.2% QB rating.
From the 5 Wilson is 1 of 5 (20%) for 5 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 0 sacks which gives him a 79.2% QB rating

Red Zone Targets
Marshawn Lynch 2/4
Fred Jackson 2/2
Jimmy Graham 3/8
Luke Wilson 1/2
Jermaine Kearse 3/5
Chris Matthews 0/1
Doug Baldwin 1/2
Ricardo Lockette 0/2
Thrown away 1
(of these receiving targets mentioned only Lockette has a drop for the year but I do not know if it was in the red zone or not, cant blame the incompletions on dropped passes)

Red Zone Rushing
Wilson 6 for 38 yrds
Rawls 1 for 6 yrd
Lynch 19 for 23 yrds and 2 TDs(of Lynch's 19 attempts 6 were for negative yards and 3 were for 0 gain).

Red Zone Penalties:
The only red zone penalty the seahawks offense has had was vs the Lions and it was a Novak false start. The only opposing team defense penalty we get in our benefit when we are in the red zone was vs the Packers and that was a defensive offsides.

Red Zone Sacks:
Colin Kaepernick 6
Tom Brady 4
Teddy Bridgewater 4
Josh McCown 4
Jameis Winston 3
Russell Wilson 3
Eli Manning 2
Drew Brees 2
Sam Bradford 2
Carson Palmer 2
Joe Flacco 2
Cam Newton 2
Brian Hoyer 2
Alex Smith 2
Aaron Rodgers 2
Around 7 or so other QBs have 1 for the season

I can't locate any red zone qb pressure stats. All I can say there is at least you don't have to sit back and wait 4 seconds for go routes since the field is condensed.

Hmm either Millan has his facts wrong or there is some missing info because that is were I got the info from. I am guessing there is some info he used that we have not thought of but this is enlightening. Thanks does not change the point of Wilson not being the biggest issue here. I still think play calling and design

Laloosh

Reaction score
Anthony!":2s017lc2 said:
Hmm either Millan has his facts wrong or there is some missing info because that is were I got the info from. I am guessing there is some info he used that we have not thought of but this is enlightening. Thanks does not change the point of Wilson not being the biggest issue here. I still think play calling and design

Honest question: I posted a bunch of passing plays from the last game here and here. How many of those do you think are bad plays on Wilson's part? Feel free to provide the quarter and timestamp.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's on the whole team.

The OLine is weak run blocking and pass protecting, the WrS and TEs are not consistently getting open, Wilson is tentative, missing plays and his accuracy is a bit off, the OC is a blockhead, changes are not being made at a rate that indicates the team regards the problem seriously, until each area is addressed the RZ offence will continue to under perform.

themunn

Reaction score
i guess that makes Ryan Fitzpatrick the best redzone QB in the league