Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'm thinking he's being brought in to be a creator for Dempsey and Morris rather than a scorer in his own right.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":t4tc3b83 said:
I'm thinking he's being brought in to be a creator for Dempsey and Morris rather than a scorer in his own right.

A lot of people in the Sounder community feel that the Sounders are gearing towards a Jason Kreis lead team running his 442 Diamond....and this type of player only supports that theory. Lodiero is very much a CAM type player who has a similar skill set to Javi Morales....Good on the ball, good vision, good ability to create chances.

A 4-Diamond-2 suits the Sounders personnel extremely well as well. Morris and Dempsey are both bigger guys who can play with their back to goal a bit. At this point Dempsey is far better with his back to goal than Morris, but the potential for Morris to be that player is high.

Morris also has wonderful pace to be able to chase down through balls, and Dempsey is about as good as they come in MLS in terms of secondary runs.

Ivanschitz, Friberg, Roldan, Kovar and J. Jones are all serviciable on the outside of midfield. Depending on form, Ivanschitz, and Friberg are your starters out wide.

Alsono holds the middle of the park, and can be spelled by Roldan. Christian Roldan is 100% being groomed to replace Alonso in the long term.

The back 4 would remain mostly consistent with Jones/Remick/Marshall/Torres/Evans/Mears/Fisher. My Ideal 4 at this point is Jones, Marshall, Torres, Evans...but I'm not sure we'll see that...

Regardless if Sigi is here next season or not, I think we see a shift in a direction similar to this....

Lodiero is a player I really like for us. He may not be a big name DP that many Sounders fans crave, but I think he will bring an element that has been missing from our squad.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":1xgr4tju said:
SeatownJay":1xgr4tju said:

A lot of people in the Sounder community feel that the Sounders are gearing towards a Jason Kreis lead team running his 442 Diamond....and this type of player only supports that theory. Lodiero is very much a CAM type player who has a similar skill set to Javi Morales....Good on the ball, good vision, good ability to create chances.

A 4-Diamond-2 suits the Sounders personnel extremely well as well. Morris and Dempsey are both bigger guys who can play with their back to goal a bit. At this point Dempsey is far better with his back to goal than Morris, but the potential for Morris to be that player is high.

Morris also has wonderful pace to be able to chase down through balls, and Dempsey is about as good as they come in MLS in terms of secondary runs.

Ivanschitz, Friberg, Roldan, Kovar and J. Jones are all serviciable on the outside of midfield. Depending on form, Ivanschitz, and Friberg are your starters out wide.

Alsono holds the middle of the park, and can be spelled by Roldan. Christian Roldan is 100% being groomed to replace Alonso in the long term.

The back 4 would remain mostly consistent with Jones/Remick/Marshall/Torres/Evans/Mears/Fisher. My Ideal 4 at this point is Jones, Marshall, Torres, Evans...but I'm not sure we'll see that...

Regardless if Sigi is here next season or not, I think we see a shift in a direction similar to this....

Lodiero is a player I really like for us. He may not be a big name DP that many Sounders fans crave, but I think he will bring an element that has been missing from our squad.

Good points....I don't agree regarding Jones on the back line. He's horrible as a defender. Not sure why they even brought him here. He's no upgrade over Leo. Should have just stuck with him

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23sswlvo said:
Smurf":23sswlvo said:
SeatownJay":23sswlvo said:

Good points....I don't agree regarding Jones on the back line. He's horrible as a defender. Not sure why they even brought him here. He's no upgrade over Leo. Should have just stuck with him

Leo practically retired. Went home to Costa Rica to play with the team he grew up with....can't blame him for that. Makes sense.

Jones has had some lapses in defense, but I wouldn't say he's horrible. He's definitely a natural wide midfielder who is playing Left Back...but he has moments where he is excellent...

Now if you want to make a case for Dylan Remick....thats a completely different discussion...

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Can we just hit the reset button now and just start the rebuild early. We gave up after the 3rd went in. Frutrating as we had decent chances but cant score in a brothel right now. Our best players (most paid) are over the hill.

Hate losing to portland in that dump of a baseball park.

knownone

Reaction score
This was a hugely disappointing game. The Timbers are not a good team, the game felt like it was designed for Dempsey, unfortunately he got suspended... so it goes.

Valeri's goal was beautiful - Jones defense was pedestrian, that goal should never happen, in a professional league.

I felt like Adi was offside on the third goal, but I couldn't really tell from my angle. There wasn't any protest on the field, so I'll assume he was on side.

Nelson Valdez is amazing... how can a man be so good at not scoring goals. I mean that seriously. He had 3 difficult shots that he managed to direct on goal, then he misses what amounts to a chip in? I don't think it's time to move on from Valdez. I think he will benefit the most from a guy like Lodeiro. He needs to find his form though, even his staunchest defenders (me) are running out of reason to defend him. Score a ****ing goal.

Morris was awful. Can he really be that bad out wide?

Mears looked so dominant for stretches last season. Now, he looks like the guy I was expecting when we signed him, slow and indecisive.

Joevin Jones! why is this guy starting?

Kovar and Roldan are starting to look like potential MLS quality starters! This may be the biggest positive of this awful season.

15 games left. 9 points out of the playoffs.

The Sounders probably need to win 8 to 10 games to have any shot.

Next week at Sporting.
August 14th vs RSL.
August 21st vs Portland.

Those 3 games will determine or seal our fate.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So many scoring chances missed today. Joevan Jones needs to go to the bench and Remick needs some starts. Valdez needs to sit as well, play Morris up top with Dempsey underneath. I wonder what Sigi will next week with Alonso out. Hopefully he'll move Brad up to the midfield and start Alfaro.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
As much as fans are raging at lagerway, some of todays game can be pinned on Sigi.

You have the top American striking prospect and you play him wide for Valdez who hasnt done crap most of the year.

I was very impressed with Fisher on Wednesday against Dallas. Instead Sigi takes thst momentum away and plays Mears who has been less effective this year.

I get that he played jones after his mid week goal...but why not play him left mid where he doesnt hsve to worry about defending? Its not like it eould be at the expense of any talented wingers right now. Give youth a chance at this point and see what we have.

We literally have nothing to lose playing young talent. Give evans a run at rb or midfield and see what Alfaro has (so far so good imo), same with fisher, remick.

9 points behind a play off spot is a tall ask given we cant get any run of wins going this season and wo t unless we bring in a quality young striker and lodeiro asap.

Open cup is a possibility but facing LA probably ends that.

The 3rd timbers goal looked onside btw. Looks like marshall? Played him on at the very last second.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't blame Sigi for keeping Valdez central. He's getting paid a hell of a lot of money, by all accounts he's just now getting 100% fit for the first time with the team (only took a year!), and when healthy he's a better CF than Morris. He's only had 5 starts all year, and most of those starts were after long layoffs. You have to play him to see what he's capable of when given consistent minutes, and this game showed that he's close. IMO.

I understand where you guys are coming from. Just remember, Sigi is fighting for his job, he knows what quality an inform Valdez brings to the table.

The real issue here is Morris. He and Valdez rotated a lot in this game, Valdez actually spent more time wide than Morris, yet we continue to see Morris's inability to be effective when he's not the focal point of the attack. I know a lot of people want the attack to play through Morris, I don't think he's ready. Morris doesn't have the vision, the crossing, or the consistency in his decision making, to have the team play through him on a regular basis. He's got the potential to be great in that role. He's not there yet.

If Morris wants to be a consistent call up for the Nats, he needs to be more than just a one footed finisher with pace. He needs to figure out how to be effective off the ball, whether making the correct runs, or tracking back and defending. He needs to be better in the air, both attacking and winning the ball.

Not trying to be hard on Morris, but a lot of fans seem to ignore his flaws, and point out everyone else's. Morris is only 21, I don't expect him to be well rounded. He's got the brightest future of anyone on this team, but let's not sacrifice what's good for Morris and the team, just to keep Morris in his comfort zone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":385wysgu said:

Because he's young, which was the biggest glaring issue with last year's club............too damn old, injured and worn out come playoff time.

As much as it pains me to say, maybe stinking this bad is a good thing going forward. It's going to facilitate some much needed change in the front office and coaching staff. Sigi's departure is imminent.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18mhiwwr said:
hawkfan68":18mhiwwr said:

Because he's young, which was the biggest glaring issue with last year's club............too damn old, injured and worn out come playoff time.

As much as it pains me to say, maybe stinking this bad is a good thing going forward. It's going to facilitate some much needed change in the front office and coaching staff. Sigi's departure is imminent.

If/when Sigi goes who would be a worthy replacement for him? I figure its time for a change but at the same time dont want an inferior coach. Most coaches who come from abroad struggle due to the weird cap system etc. I always figured it was kries given the lagerway connection but that appears not to be the case.

Is there anyone in MLS the Sounders would go for or an up and comer?

I think the safe and cheap option is Schmetzer.

Personally would like kinnear who has had success at houston and san jose. Would bob bradley consider a job back home?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why does Sigi's replacement have to be from the MLS?

There are scores of coaches in Europe making names for themselves in the 2nd and 3rd leagues, or with the bottom dwelling small clubs in the big leagues. Would the MLS be an option? Great pay, great environment and a good place to bring a philosophy without being challenged by expectations set from previous managers. While the cap system may be an adjustment, many of these coaches have been working with far smaller budgets while positively developing systems and players.

Im just wondering the MLS could ever present itself as a stepping stone to a young manager from Europe as a way to get to a bigger job back in Europe?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Thats why I ask, what coaches from europe hzlave done well here? No other league has a salary cap, trade system, allocation money, draft, dps, play offs etc

Yes some coaches have limited funds to build a team in some leagues but it is still considerably different. Gullit was a bust, owen coyle of the top of my head.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3q2nfff7 said:
Thats why I ask, what coaches from europe hzlave done well here? No other league has a salary cap, trade system, allocation money, draft, dps, play offs etc

Yes some coaches have limited funds to build a team in some leagues but it is still considerably different. Gullit was a bust, owen coyle of the top of my head.

Both of those were not up and coming though, more set in their ways. I'm suggesting young coaches grinding their teeth at Championship, Ligue 2, etc. I don't really have any names to be honest. Just throwing it out there. I guess the best example is Caleb Porter with Portland. Surely there are coaches with his ambition and creativity available somewhere?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2nspxdhe said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2nspxdhe said:

Both of those were not up and coming though, more set in their ways. I'm suggesting young coaches grinding their teeth at Championship, Ligue 2, etc. I don't really have any names to be honest. Just throwing it out there. I guess the best example is Caleb Porter with Portland. Surely there are coaches with his ambition and creativity available somewhere?

Porter is American tbf and I did initially ask if there were similar up and comers in MLS.

Would Porter ever come up here being from Tacoma et al? Would be a major blow to the Timbers and insert the little brother element. I imagine he's been at Portland long enough though to be bitter/build up hate about the Sounders. Plus probably wouldn't want to be a Judas.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I didn't mean Porter specifically, but someone of his ilk. Porter would not come to Seattle i suspect.

He was a very successful D1 coach who made the jump up in levels to a club willing to allow him to insert his own philosophy. It's paid off quite well. I feel there must be dozens of young coaches working at these lower level clubs in Europe (or maybe even here in the US) with similar ambitions. Too young to know any better if you will.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ecn8vnt said:
I didn't mean Porter specifically, but someone of his ilk. Porter would not come to Seattle i suspect.

He was a very successful D1 coach who made the jump up in levels to a club willing to allow him to insert his own philosophy. It's paid off quite well. I feel there must be dozens of young coaches working at these lower level clubs in Europe (or maybe even here in the US) with similar ambitions. Too young to know any better if you will.

Agreed. Wouldn't mind taking a risk on an NASL, USL manager with proven success and new ideas if there is a good reason for it.

Still think they'll go safe and promote Schmetzer.