Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Great signing if he picks the US. I honestly wouldn't be fussed about moving on from Dempsey and using his salary to strengthen central midfield and defense, especially if Oba and Valdez are here. If Morris development continues hopefully we get 2/3 years out of him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1yd960dz said:
Great signing if he picks the US. I honestly wouldn't be fussed about moving on from Dempsey and using his salary to strengthen central midfield and defense, especially if Oba and Valdez are here. If Morris development continues hopefully we get 2/3 years out of him.

Why move on from Dempsey if you can afford to fit Morris under our current cap.

If he does sign it'll be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets. Good news is he's homegrown, so his salary hit won't be as big.

But yeah, it'd be amazing to have Morris and Oba up top so we can drop back Clint to midfield, or some variation of that to use all three of them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is there any joy at all in watching Dempsey play any more?

And playing Oba and Morris up top in a 442 seems a waste of both talents... unless you play an attacking mid right underneath them.

4-3-1-2....

If they do set up in a 442 and its a flat midfield with Dempsey out wide then they might as well swap their kits out with Umbro and head back to 1980.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3j3rqjq9 said:
Is there any joy at all in watching Dempsey play any more?

And playing Oba and Morris up top in a 442 seems a waste of both talents... unless you play an attacking mid right underneath them.

4-3-1-2....

If they do set up in a 442 and its a flat midfield with Dempsey out wide then they might as well swap their kits out with Umbro and head back to 1980.

Why don't you like Demspey at the attacking mid spot? He's fantastic at creating, holding the ball and distributing.......and he's got one of the best quick shots in the league. Seems perfect for that underneath mid spot.

Nothing frustrated me more last year than seeing Clint and Oba up top constantly having to drop back 30-40 yards just to get a touch on the ball because our terrible midfield was getting destroyed in the middle third.

With the speed of Morris and Oba we need someone underneath to distribute. IMO Dempsey is perfect.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I said he's terrible as a wide player. If you're going to keep Dempsey he should be in the attacking spot... but that's it. Even then, I'd say "fantastic" is an enormous reach. He can be creative, at times, when the holding mids win the ball for him and he's free to connect with his striker.

He would be perfect as a CAM underneath two mobile strikers in 2012. However, in 2016, he is far too slow, in my opinion, to continue to be relied upon as a CAM in the MLS. He did decent last year when Oba played as a target and he could sit under him, let the pressure be absorbed up top, get the drop down passes and run or pass off. When you look at some of the better CAMs in the MLS now, and their skillsets, Dempsey is nowhere near them, not even a top 8-10 player in that position any longer, and getting older everyday.

Maybe the MLS won't demand much from him and he can still be effective. If I'm a Sounders fan though that entire central midfield needs to be reshaped with younger, more athletic and quicker players

knownone

Reaction score
Dempsey has flair and often times that's misrepresented as creativity. I don't know where he fits on this team right now, he'd be best playing behind Oba, yet I believe the team would be better with Oba up top with Valdez playing off him in a hold up role.

I'm intrigued to see where the Sounders go from here. Landing Morris adds a dimension the Sounders desperately needed, but it also raises a lot of questions. Whose going to be our CM? are they sticking with Ozzie? can Friberg be a consistent starter? are we bringing anyone else in? That's IMO the biggest question going into training. Jordan Morris was a huge win no doubt, but he's joining a team that wasn't exactly lacking in the attacking department and I certainly hope Garth can make one or two moves to solidify the middle of the park or we might be in for a long season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":2frmkok4 said:
Dempsey has flair and often times that's misrepresented as creativity. I don't know where he fits on this team right now, he'd be best playing behind Oba, yet I believe the team would be better with Oba up top with Valdez playing off him in a hold up role.

I'm intrigued to see where the Sounders go from here. Landing Morris adds a dimension the Sounders desperately needed, but it also raises a lot of questions. Whose going to be our CM? are they sticking with Ozzie? can Friberg be a consistent starter? are we bringing anyone else in? That's IMO the biggest question going into training. Jordan Morris was a huge win no doubt, but he's joining a team that wasn't exactly lacking in the attacking department and I certainly hope Garth can make one or two moves to solidify the middle of the park or we might be in for a long season.

They just signed Farfan, who, despite only starting 17 games last year apparently solidified the midfield (according to the article). And, Smurf mentions movement into a 4-4-2... So Oba is not alone up top and not playing with a drop down CAM.

And of course that just opens up a lot more questions about the actual midfield formation (flat 4, flat 3 with CAM behind two strikers, diamond 4)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":j7xpmcnr said:
I said he's terrible as a wide player. If you're going to keep Dempsey he should be in the attacking spot... but that's it. Even then, I'd say "fantastic" is an enormous reach. He can be creative, at times, when the holding mids win the ball for him and he's free to connect with his striker.

He would be perfect as a CAM underneath two mobile strikers in 2012. However, in 2016, he is far too slow, in my opinion, to continue to be relied upon as a CAM in the MLS. He did decent last year when Oba played as a target and he could sit under him, let the pressure be absorbed up top, get the drop down passes and run or pass off. When you look at some of the better CAMs in the MLS now, and their skillsets, Dempsey is nowhere near them, not even a top 8-10 player in that position any longer, and getting older everyday.

Maybe the MLS won't demand much from him and he can still be effective. If I'm a Sounders fan though that entire central midfield needs to be reshaped with younger, more athletic and quicker players

My point is adding Morris WOULD make Dempsey a more effective attacking CM.

Two fast forwards like Morris and Oba would open up all kinds of space, instead of just relying on Oba running his ass off trying to stretch the pitch. Defenses couldn't just box Oba in because they know we have no width or quality CM that can distribute (which has been the case for far too long).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Whomever the sitting 8 is with Morris and Oba would benefit (if there are three strong mids behind). As I said, IF you're keeping Dempsey this is where he should play. I'd be inclined to move on from him if I was a Sounders fan, but maybe that's still a year or two away in the MLS.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":31eg1sf4 said:
Whomever the sitting 8 is with Morris and Oba would benefit (if there are three strong mids behind). As I said, IF you're keeping Dempsey this is where he should play. I'd be inclined to move on from him if I was a Sounders fan, but maybe that's still a year or two away in the MLS.

I hear ya, and I admit that being such a huge Dempsey fan I may be more sentimental than most when it comes to him.

IMO he's still got at least another 1-2 years left of good soccer, and his toughness and leadership would be a benefit to Morris, and a benefit in bringing other players to Seattle. DP type players definitely look at who they'd be playing with when deciding on where to go.

Smurf

Reaction score
I'm super excited for the Morris Signing.

I expect us to run a 433 most of the time

Oba, Deuce, Morris and Valdez splitting time as the 3 up top. I can see it being a more narrow 3, with 1 sort of playing in the hole behind in a CF or CAM type of role (Dempsey preferably). I can also see a standard 433 with two players more wide.

Behind them a mixture of Alonso, Friberg, Ivanschitz, Roldan and Farfan (we signed one of the Farfan boys the other day, btw). I have hopes that Schweitzer also starts to get time about halfway through the year.

Back 4 should remain unchanged, except for maybe Fisher at LB for Jones. Things get more interesting when Torres returns.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":4mvuvmfn said:
I expect us to run a 433 most of the time.

Sigi's already hinted at going with 3 forwards, so you're right.

I'm super excited about Morris, not just as a Sounders fan, but as a MLS fan. It's a big deal that arguably the best American born college or youth club player ever is choosing the MLS over Europe.

Obviously we said the same thing when Adu came out, and he never lived up to the hype. But I think Morris will, he's electric.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3gjzn572 said:

Oba, Deuce, Morris and Valdez splitting time as the 3 up top. I can see it being a more narrow 3, with 1 sort of playing in the hole behind in a CF or CAM type of role (Dempsey preferably). I can also see a standard 433 with two players more wide.

Behind them a mixture of Alonso, Friberg, Ivanschitz, Roldan and Farfan (we signed one of the Farfan boys the other day, btw). I have hopes that Schweitzer also starts to get time about halfway through the year.

Back 4 should remain unchanged, except for maybe Fisher at LB for Jones. Things get more interesting when Torres returns.

Now you expect to run a 433?

None of the players you listed are wide players. If you're going to play a 433 you need true wingers or cams that can cut in.. you have 4 forwards.

What happened to the 442? As i said, with 4 forwards (3 really, Dempsey is not a forward anymore) you need to play a 2 man striker pairing with a CAM underneath. That's not a 433

Never seen so much rumor about "formation" and a team before.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":77yuoll7 said:
Smurf":77yuoll7 said:

None of the players you listed are wide players. If you're going to play a 433 you need true wingers or cams that can cut in.. you have 4 forwards.

What happened to the 442? As i said, with 4 forwards (3 really, Dempsey is not a forward anymore) you need to play a 2 man striker pairing with a CAM underneath. That's not a 433

Is traditional width like you're talking about AS important in the MLS, where the large majority of clubs are lumbering and slow?

Like I said, we can create width with Oba and Morris out wide up top, don't necessarily have to have a traditional midfield as you would in other faster more technical leagues.

Obviously clubs like Dallas still would pose a problem for this type of formation getting killed in the midfield. But in general 4-3-3 could work with the kind of speed up top with Morris and Oba's workrate and speed.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Does the Farfan signing mean the writing is on the wall for Ozzy? Moving on from his salary and TAM spot? I think they'll trade him, not sure what for yet.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
ON the upside at least this summer we should have an actual frikkin striker at all points of the season and quality ones at that, whether it be Morris, Dempsey, Martins or Oba. Glad to finally have some depth to cover for call ups and injuries. Watching Neagle trying to lead the line himself last year along with youngsters who weren't ready or not good enough was absolutely brutal for what 2 months?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":brgv7p5x said:
Uncle Si":brgv7p5x said:
Smurf":brgv7p5x said:

Is traditional width like you're talking about AS important in the MLS, where the large majority of clubs are lumbering and slow?

Like I said, we can create width with Oba and Morris out wide up top, don't necessarily have to have a traditional midfield as you would in other faster more technical leagues.

Obviously clubs like Dallas still would pose a problem for this type of formation getting killed in the midfield. But in general 4-3-3 could work with the kind of speed up top with Morris and Oba's workrate and speed.

It's not just the speed... Wingers/midfielders have different skill sets than a striker, especially in the mold of Morris and Oba. Valdez cannot play wide at all.

A two striker system with a creative CAM in a triangle would be a great fit and perfect for a player like Morris to run off Oba.

Do yeah, you can send them side. But that's a waste of their abilities and takes touches away from them.

That said... Great for Seattle and the MLS to get a local player of his calibre. Eastside FC Academy to the big local MLS team. Hope it becomes a trend.