Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":a5far2ec said:
Sgt. Largent":a5far2ec said:
Uncle Si":a5far2ec said:
watched the LAFC-Galaxy game last night.

Very impressed with the atmosphere there. Smaller stadium (22000 max) much in the way MN United will build theirs. Fans right on top of the field much like an BPL stadium

And the fans responded.

(the play was a little to be desired in terms of its overall cleanliness.. but hell, its a derby game. It's supposed to be messy)

Yep, MLS did it right this time with LAFC. Top flight ownership group, amazing new stadium and immediate talent on the pitch...........and not just another red headed step brother to the Galaxy like Chivas.

This is a GREAT thing for MLS, having this quality of a derby rival in LA.

Check out where MN United will play next year:

https://www.mnufc.com/stadium/renderings

That looks awesome, and it's the one thing IMO the Sounders need to address in the next decade...........trying to get a soccer specific stadium built.

But hard to blame the owners when you're getting 40k a match, which is almost double of the average newer soccer stadiums being build by MLS teams. But IMO the NW would benefit greatly with a SSS, for not only the Sounders, but to attract more USMNT matches and friendlies.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nqcewrh said:
That looks awesome, and it's the one thing IMO the Sounders need to address in the next decade...........trying to get a soccer specific stadium built.

But hard to blame the owners when you're getting 40k a match, which is almost double of the average newer soccer stadiums being build by MLS teams. But IMO the NW would benefit greatly with a SSS, for not only the Sounders, but to attract more USMNT matches and friendlies.
I wonder what the feasibility is of renovating Memorial Stadium into a 40K-seat natural grass stadium as part of the Seattle Center/KeyArena renovation.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I hope not, no parking and Mercer St is a mess. No light rail etc. Plus I doubt the footprint is big enough for a 40k stadium.

Also why limit to 40k? On big games we can get 60k plus. The way the sport is growing, attendance may also grow.

There is nothing wrong with the clink. It was designed with soccer in mind too. Turf sucks but I can live with that for having a world class stadium. The clink is better than any modern stadium in England, especially facility wise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1cs5nybx said:
I hope not, no parking and Mercer St is a mess. No light rail etc. Plus I doubt the footprint is big enough for a 40k stadium.

Also why limit to 40k? On big games we can get 60k plus. The way the sport is growing, attendance may also grow.

There is nothing wrong with the clink. It was designed with soccer in mind too. Turf sucks but I can live with that for having a world class stadium. The clink is better than any modern stadium in England, especially facility wise.

You're right on all accounts, but IMO to truly take the next step in becoming the model franchise the Sounders think they are, IMO a SSS is needed.............and yes the turf is the biggest issue.

It has and will continue to keep certain friendlies, USMNT and even though the prospects of World Cup matches look promising, I guarantee you it'll be an issue with some FIFA and World Cup officials.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":sxkncirn said:

this is pretty debatable. Clink is a nice football stadium. But the Emirates? the Bridge? Old Trafford? Anfield? Hell, even the King Power, St. James or Amex? These are gorgeous stadiums with great atmospheres and the top 3 have high capacity volumes. CLink is a great football stadium. as a soccer stadium, 30K of its seats go unsold and are covered to hide that fact.

I think many cities are moving to smaller stadiums to add to the atmosphere as well as the intimacy of it. I like that idea.

Sounders raucous crowd would benefit from something similar. Use CLink like Wembley.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2tr2lff4 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2tr2lff4 said:

this is pretty debatable. Clink is a nice football stadium. But the Emirates? the Bridge? Old Trafford? Anfield? Hell, even the King Power, St. James or Amex? These are gorgeous stadiums with great atmospheres and the top 3 have high capacity volumes. CLink is a great football stadium. as a soccer stadium, 30K of its seats go unsold and are covered to hide that fact.

I think many cities are moving to smaller stadiums to add to the atmosphere as well as the intimacy of it. I like that idea.

Sounders raucous crowd would benefit from something similar. Use CLink like Wembley.

Emirates is a nice stadium but it feels soulless. Stamford Bridge is a dump and Chelsea are looking to get out. Anfield isn't that great either, hence why Liverpool were looking to leave for a long time. I've visited most. Heck I went to Celtic Park, every week for 10 years. Its atmosphere pisses all over anything in England and is bigger than many UK stadiums, Ibrox too i'd grudgingly say but the CLink pisses all over those stadiums facilities with regards to sightlines, food, beer, shops, bathrooms. It gets the basics right. Modern American stadiums just manage to get it right and are great at taking your money from you. The UK has so much to learn and so much catching up to do.

Old Trafford and Wembley you could argue are the closest to that. The Clink full though is effin awesome, and creates a great atmosphere when full. Yes, I would like to see it full more often. I'm optimistic though that it may in time. Would prefer to use the Clink and spend money on the team rather than a new stadium that would cost silly money.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bridge, Anfield have been renovated (Anfield is also being expanded) and are premier venues, especially given their connection to the past. Some of the newer stadiums (Amex for one) are similar to the new MLS stadiums as well. The atmosphere is an argument not worth having. MLS fans just love there tifo.

Clink is a football stadium that's meant to seat 70K. Sounders bring in an average of 45. Of course things are easier when your stadium is at 60%.

Sgt. has the right idea, as does MNUFC. Sounders would benefit massively from a smaller, soccer specific stadium. I think 45K is a lot of fans to expect for MLS games routinely. But, make the venue something special (its the Seahawks stadium, regardless of its use by the Sounders) and you could have something.

just my opinion. im sure the sounders are very comfortable where they are.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1mmemfm5 said:

For sure they are, like I said selling 40k tickets every match vs 25-30k in a new SSS that you had to help pay for is a win win for the Sounder's ownership group.

I'm coming at this as more of a big picture would love to see a SSS in the NW where IMO one belongs as one of the best soccer communities in the nation.............and I do believe it'd mean more friendlies, tournaments and USMNT matches.

There's a reason the big Euro clubs stopped coming here for friendlies in the summer, against us, and against each other like what happens in other major cities.............................. turf.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vohvf9r said:
Uncle Si":1vohvf9r said:

For sure they are, like I said selling 40k tickets every match vs 25-30k in a new SSS that you had to help pay for is a win win for the Sounder's ownership group.

I'm coming at this as more of a big picture would love to see a SSS in the NW where IMO one belongs as one of the best soccer communities in the nation.............and I do believe it'd mean more friendlies, tournaments and USMNT matches.

There's a reason the big Euro clubs stopped coming here for friendlies in the summer, against us, and against each other like what happens in other major cities.............................. turf.

Liverpool-Man United was at Michigan Stadium, which is turf.

The smaller, more intimate setting may bring you USMNT games.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So VAR.

Was at the match... MN went in 3 on 0 after the handball shout. Somehow managed to not score. Then ref blows whistle, goes to VAR, gives the pen at the other end

Right call. Process needs fixing. Had MN scored there that would have been some let down

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37rptjy8 said:
So VAR.

Was at the match... MN went in 3 on 0 after the handball shout. Somehow managed to not score. Then ref blows whistle, goes to VAR, gives the pen at the other end

Right call. Process needs fixing. Had MN scored there that would have been some let down

Yeah it does, because they inexplicably decided not to award a PK on the previous handball in the box.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":gnb0obiy said:
Uncle Si":gnb0obiy said:
So VAR.

Yeah it does, because they inexplicably decided not to award a PK on the previous handball in the box.

Not really the point since they looked at it and decided against it and has no bearing on this scenario

The point wa me that they went to the review 30 seconds after the handball abd right after MN United should’ve scored. Would’ve been a terrible situation to wipe one goal away and go back to award a pk.

Ref should have someone in his ear.

I know there’s not a fix (would you stop the break to look at it? then what if it’s not a pen?)

Maybe this was just a rarity

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1cib9a4t said:
So VAR.

Uncle Si":1cib9a4t said:
The ref does have someone in his ear, but he has to wait until the ball is out of play before he can go to VAR. Could you imagine the outrage if he'd whistled to stop play in the middle of the counterattack?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2z2ajq7e said:
Uncle Si":2z2ajq7e said:
So VAR.

Uncle Si":2z2ajq7e said:
The ref does have someone in his ear, but he has to wait until the ball is out of play before he can go to VAR. Could you imagine the outrage if he'd whistled to stop play in the middle of the counterattack?

Well that's what I'm saying...

would there have been more or less outrage had they pulled what should've been a relatively easy MN United goal?