Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2lbc4sro said:
And... on queue... ozzie alonso with the first ever goal at Allianz

That's gonna be the MLS Goal of the Week, it was a brilliant strike..........awesome to see too, I love me some Ozzie. Good for him, and good for Minnesota.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Was a good game. Bruin, Roldan and Rodriguez were great. Thought Kim got absolutely abused by Altidore though until Torres came on. Also felt Frei ould have done better with the goals.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Injuries have forced the Sounders to play Harry Shipp and Roman Torres. This equates to a piss poor first half and being down 2-0. Right now it’s looking like the Sounders first loss of the season.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Torres showed why he's no longer a starter for this team. Although it wasn't all him. The entire team looked flat and out of sync.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Two things we learned from this match.

1. Vela is the real deal.
2. The Sounder's attack desperately needs Ruidiaz, for not only his skills but so Morris can stay out wide where he's most effective.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That was rough.

Lodeiro and Rodriguez had rough games which didn't help. Torres was a disaster and sold 2 goals. Kim has been a bit iffy recently, had a tough go of it against Toronto and struggled this week, he probably needs Marshall beside him.

Morris isn't a forward and he was missed out wide.

We really need another forward. Ruidiaz and Bruin are good players but having only 2 reliable forwards in the squad isn't good.

Also felt like several players gave up after the 3rd which is worrying.

We need to beat San Jose mid week and get back on track

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If Marshall isn't a go for the Earthquakes game, it might time to play Abdul-Salaam or Campbell. Abdul-Salaam was the defender of the year in 2016 season with Sporting KC. He couldn't be any worse than Torres or Kee-Hee.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That was a weird one. Fun game but damn.

Its piss poor roster management only having 2 forwards. Creating chances with no one there due to both being hurt. Is there not even a prospect in tacoma.

Defense has got really slack as well, especially leerdam and kim in the last few weeks. That's worrying.

On the plus side the subs helped us come back. Shipp and smith did great when they came on. Annoyed we dropped 2 points, we had chances but so did San jose who hit the post twice. Ruidiaz better be back soon or get an effin forward in.

Bwana did well. He's still learning and made a few wrong decisions on breaks but the potential is there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":k3vm0ae6 said:
Its piss poor roster management only having 2 forwards. Creating chances with no one there due to both being hurt. Is there not even a prospect in tacoma..

Schemtzer would tell you Morris is a forward, but I get what you're saying.

Unfortunately this is just the nature of the MLS, there's a major dropoff once your starters get hurt. Depth is the first thing to take a hit with such a low cap...........and that's what we've seen these last couple of matches. When everyone's at full strength, we're a dangerous side, when guys start missing matches, this is what it's going to look like.

I think most of us said after the 2nd or 3rd match that we were all bullish on this roster, EXCEPT if the injury bug hit. Well, it's hit a little.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Its frustrating in the sense that there isn't even some journeyman to fill in. No Neagle type or Chad Barrett.

I used to think Morris could be a forward but the last few games have shown he's far better out wide.

I'm a bit worried Ruidiaz injury is worse than they are letting on. There was tweets with him in a boot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":u226ekhy said:
Its frustrating in the sense that there isn't even some journeyman to fill in. No Neagle type or Chad Barrett.

I used to think Morris could be a forward but the last few games have shown he's far better out wide.

I'm a bit worried Ruidiaz injury is worse than they are letting on. There was tweets with him in a boot.

Yeah the vague reports about Ruidiaz is cause for concern, Schmetzer said he was close last week to play in the LAFC match, then we heard absolutely nothing after the boot Twitter pic.

btw, Bruin is suppose to be our Chad Barrett type, but he's been dinged up too.

Big picture, this is still a phenomenal start. It's a long season so I'm not worried about a little slump after that start...........unless Ruidiaz's injury turns serious. THEN I'm worried.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a6pkrtsv said:
Glasgow Seahawk":a6pkrtsv said:

Yeah the vague reports about Ruidiaz is cause for concern, Schmetzer said he was close last week to play in the LAFC match, then we heard absolutely nothing after the boot Twitter pic.

btw, Bruin is suppose to be our Chad Barrett type, but he's been dinged up too.

Big picture, this is still a phenomenal start. It's a long season so I'm not worried about a little slump after that start...........unless Ruidiaz's injury turns serious. THEN I'm worried.

I agree. I'm probably more disappointed we didn't win last night, especially with it being a home game. Also because we have to play LA again and i'm still sore from last weekend.

I loved it when we had Dempsey/Martins with Barrett as back up and won the supporters shield. Would love another quality forward, we'd probably romp the league with the amount of chances Lodeiro, Morris and Rodriguez would create. Even if our defense was iffy we could outscore most of the time.

I'm not greedy, it wouldn't have to be a DP. At this point i'd be doing all I could to get rid of Torres and free up his salary and promote the defenders signed in the offseason. Use that money for a TAM signing. I feel like other MLS teams would take Torres, some of the defences in the league are awful.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3ojqi1rk said:
I'm not greedy, it wouldn't have to be a DP. At this point i'd be doing all I could to get rid of Torres and free up his salary and promote the defenders signed in the offseason. Use that money for a TAM signing. I feel like other MLS teams would take Torres, some of the defences in the league are awful.

Kinda what Lagerwey said back in February.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/2/2 ... nings-2019

I'm sure we'll add a player or two this year, but unlikely to sign a bigtime DP. Morris coming back is like getting a 3rd DP, and I think Schmetzer and Lagerwey would like to see how this season unfolds as far as pressing needs going into the playoffs and next year before scouting a 3rd DP.

Which IMO is smart. We have a talented roster, no need to rush out and sign a DP when other than Ruidiaz and Lodeiro, we really don't know where that need might be going forward.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Jeez, the injuries are starting to pile up. Ruidiaz is still in a boot, Bruin is improving but not 100%, Victor Rodriguez is in the concussion protocol, and Gustav Svensson has been ruled out of tomorrow's match.

knownone

Reaction score
The 'hands to the face, instant red' rule is getting a little silly. The fact that we have a rule where the referee has zero discretion to decide if the action is worthy of a straight red says a lot about how the legislative bodies view their employees.

The product on the field should be the #1 priority. Throwing a player out of the game for accidently grazing an opponents face after being pushed is bad for the game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
That was worthy of a red card.

He swung his arm, regardless if he meant to strike the face. Make contact to the face in a reckless manner is a red. Ref does have the authority to rule the action was inadvertent. That wasnt an inadvertent action, even if the landing spot may have been.

Could argue that a red card should've been given to the LAFC player as well.

What id like to see is situations like that allow for both teams to replace the 2 ejected players.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ymtfxuy9 said:
That was worthy of a red card.

He swung his arm, regardless if he meant to strike the face. Make contact to the face in a reckless manner is a red. Ref does have the authority to rule the action was inadvertent. That wasnt an inadvertent action, even if the landing spot may have been.

Could argue that a red card should've been given to the LAFC player as well.

What id like to see is situations like that allow for both teams to replace the 2 ejected players.
If that's worthy of a red card; I am embarrassed for the sport. He didn't do it on purpose and he barely touched the guy. His hand is only above the shoulder because he's off balance after being shoved.

I'd rather they just let them play on and stop trying to legislate every form of perceived violence out of the game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He swung his hand and hit his face. Whether he meant to hit his face is immaterial. He meant to swing his hand.

How many studs up challenges that lead to reds actually break a leg?

You sit around waiting to punish injury causing actions you are also causing injuries.

The rule has been around for a long time. Not sure where you think things are being legislated out of the game. The thuggery of the 70s and 80s is whats been removed.

It was harsh and unfortunate on Seattle. Shouldve been two reds.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Get the vibe that the league want LAFC to be the next Atlanta. Media have been talking them up big time, pretty much anointing them champions when just the week before they dropped points against vancouver. Their offense is great but their defence is suspect. Would love to have seen ruidiaz and a full team vs them.

Let's see where they are in August when they will have their own injury issues at some point.

As for the sounders, a great point gained. 2 cm's out, no forwards, no marshall, 2 red cards. They rode their luck at times but also had a couple of chances to win. I hope roldan can get that overturned given there was no malicious intent. I red somewhere it has to be hands to the face and with intent. That was clearly accidental, was embarrassing seeing the LA players overreaction.

Hope to God the injured players get back asap. Was worried morris was the next casualty. Ran himself into the ground. Felt Torres stepped up in the game after a shaky first 10 minutes.

At least there is no midweek games.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
On the red... intent does not have to refer to location. If a player swings his arm at a player and hits him in the face, its a red. Even if he didnt mean to hit him in the face.

I thought Roldan swung his arm at the LA player after he got grabbed.

I do wonder if the ref used VAR. Would've made sense to