Seattle's O-line

knownone

Reaction score
Scorpion05":dihn2nqp said:
The success of the Raven’s O-line effectively shuts down the myth that Russell’s O-line is poor because Russell’s unpredictable runs cause issues, he scrambles around too much, and doesn’t stay in the pocket.

Also willing to bet money that Kingsbury builds a killer O-line around Kyler Murray. And then no one will own the alternate facts that have dominated the debate around Russ’ struggles in recent years
The Ravens run a vastly different offensive scheme. About 3/4th's of Russell's passing attempts are in the pocket. In contrast, about half of Lamar's pass attempts are outside the pocket on designed RPO's. This, accompanied by the threat him running the ball, completely changes how you defend Lamar vs how you'd defend young Russell. For instance, if you blitz young Russ and he escapes, then it's a 20 yard gain. If you blitz Lamar and he escapes, then it's likely a 40+ yard gain or worse.

Now, I think the Ravens have a better line anyway, but they certainly benefit from having a QB who runs a sub 4.3 forty and is adept at avoiding contact. If Wilson was as fast as Lamar, he'd be the greatest QB in NFL history. Unfortunately, Wilson is lucky if he can run a 4.8 forty, and he's not quite as nimble as he was 5 years ago.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Fade":2e59sm9t said:
Cable was terrible last year, with his rookie draft picks. They also had veterans get hurt.

Those veterans are now healthy, and they had a big FA signing, Trent Brown, to play RT.

His prized draft pick, Kolton Miller, has a PFF grade of 61.5.

Cable still sucks, but he has Gruden, who loves to dink and dunk, to mask Cable's flaws.

Quick passing game, and veteran O-Line, can mitigate the Cable effect.

The Raiders had one of the best O-Lines in football a couple years ago. FYI

So he isn't working miracle over there. He is just being covered up.

This is the huge take away here.

Cable was the worst Oline coach to pair with Pete and Bevell. Their run to set up deep play action passing game was never going to work with Cable and his views regarding Oline play due to how long the linemen have to block.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Fade":mmog6rv1 said:
Cable was terrible last year, with his rookie draft picks. They also had veterans get hurt.

Those veterans are now healthy, and they had a big FA signing, Trent Brown, to play RT.

His prized draft pick, Kolton Miller, has a PFF grade of 61.5.

Cable still sucks, but he has Gruden, who loves to dink and dunk, to mask Cable's flaws.

Quick passing game, and veteran O-Line, can mitigate the Cable effect.

The Raiders had one of the best O-Lines in football a couple years ago. FYI

So he isn't working miracle over there. He is just being covered up.

Brown's been on and off hurt for most of the season. He's an important piece but I'd argue at this point not the most important.

That goes to Incognito. He's absolutely shined this year for them. A couple weeks ago when their C was down, they were going to shift him in and he was fine with it. So was their fanbase, who actually appear to be making a playoff push for real this year.

In September, he said Jonathan Martin had his own personal demons with the Dolphins. And left it at that. Media gave him all sorts of crap.

What Incognito left out is that he had just cosigned on a plan in LA court to let Martin do some AA/psych treatment instead of going to jail for Instagramming a shotgun with Incognito's twitter handle on it. Incognito felt compelled to go to an FBI safe house over that.

Incognito has had major flaws. But doing that turn for a guy he has absolutely every right not to help now, that shows character.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
knownone":cgif9oyb said:
Scorpion05":cgif9oyb said:
The success of the Raven’s O-line effectively shuts down the myth that Russell’s O-line is poor because Russell’s unpredictable runs cause issues, he scrambles around too much, and doesn’t stay in the pocket.

Also willing to bet money that Kingsbury builds a killer O-line around Kyler Murray. And then no one will own the alternate facts that have dominated the debate around Russ’ struggles in recent years
The Ravens run a vastly different offensive scheme. About 3/4th's of Russell's passing attempts are in the pocket. In contrast, about half of Lamar's pass attempts are outside the pocket on designed RPO's. This, accompanied by the threat him running the ball, completely changes how you defend Lamar vs how you'd defend young Russell. For instance, if you blitz young Russ and he escapes, then it's a 20 yard gain. If you blitz Lamar and he escapes, then it's likely a 40+ yard gain or worse.

Now, I think the Ravens have a better line anyway, but they certainly benefit from having a QB who runs a sub 4.3 forty and is adept at avoiding contact. If Wilson was as fast as Lamar, he'd be the greatest QB in NFL history. Unfortunately, Wilson is lucky if he can run a 4.8 forty, and he's not quite as nimble as he was 5 years ago.
I know you would think I agree with this and I thought he was really slowing down
but theres been games like the Niner game where when he really wants to he will
rip off a big gain faster than 4.8.
Granted it doesn't happen often but I was impressed it's still there at his size.