Second Most Scoring in Team History

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Smellyman":cvy5fglj said:
Solari working with this line compared to what they used to look like shows difference between crap coaching and good coaching.

I agree that the offensive line has improved tremendously in fundamentals and veteran savvy over the disaster that it has been for the last few years. Solari was a great hire and has done a tremendous job.

However, the offensive line is still objectively worse than it was from 2012-2014. And it can’t even touch what it was during the zenith of the Walter Jones era of the early to mid 2000s.

The offensive line is ranked 17th this year by PFF, which looks about right to me (maybe a spot or two higher). Average is a tremendous improvement over where they have been since the Max Unger trade and the devolution of technique that occurred under Tom Cable.

They are still only ranked 29th in pass protection by Football Outsiders. The sack rate is 10%, which is the highest of Russell Wilson’s career. They also credit Chris Carson for a lot of yards generated after contact.

The offensive line’s improvement is a significant and necessary factor, but it is not the only reason for the team’s offensive scoring resurgence. Play calling has been a major factor.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
sdog1981":3p47xqdf said:
hawknation2018":3p47xqdf said:
SEAHAWKS offensive points per game
2005 - 26.1
2018 - 25.9

2013 - 24.0
2015 - 23.8 SHOULD BE 26.4

How are you screwing up the 2015 numbers?

16 games they scored 423 points 423/16=26.4375 or 26.4 points per game

2005 Seahawks

482 points /16 games = 28.3

The numbers above are ONLY offensive points scored, not defensive or special teams.

You also edited out the link, which may have added to your confusion:
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... 2018-12-30

Smellyman

Reaction score
PFF is butt.

They may be '17th', but last year running backs were consistently blown up in the back field leading to second and long all the time. This year 2nd and 6. The turnaround is the complete key. Fluker out? cool Simmons steps in and they rush for over 200 yards both times. Ifedi is a lot better this year, but he goes out? Here comes fant.

Cable would still be saying it's heart or be blaming the college game.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Smellyman":137gayb5 said:
PFF is butt.

They may be '17th', but last year running backs were consistently blown up in the back field leading to second and long all the time. This year 2nd and 6. The turnaround is the complete key. Fluker out? cool Simmons steps in and they rush for over 200 yards both times. Ifedi is a lot better this year, but he goes out? Here comes fant.

The point is you can’t hide behind the offensive line in an attempt to avoid giving credit to the offensive coordinator.

We don’t have the best offensive line in the NFL like we did in 2005.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2bss29z9 said:
Smellyman":2bss29z9 said:
PFF is butt.

The point is you can’t hide behind the offensive line in an attempt to avoid giving credit to the offensive coordinator.

Cable is THE WORST coach in tall of sports. Bevell sucks, but Cable is exponentially suckier. He was the run game coordinator/assistant head coach/oline coach.

Bevell needed to go, Cable deserves the pit of misery.

This oline isn't as good as 2005? no doy

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Smellyman":2zq7y9dp said:
hawknation2018":2zq7y9dp said:
Smellyman":2zq7y9dp said:
PFF is butt.

Cable is THE WORST coach in tall of sports. Bevell sucks, but Cable is exponentially suckier. He was the run game coordinator/assistant head coach/oline coach.

Bevell needed to go, Cable deserves the pit of misery.

This oline isn't as good as 2005? no doy

And what about Schottenheimer? Still waiting for some people to give him credit.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I love the combination we have right now. In my not so humble opinion, having an inept O-like coach as the assistant HC undermined the OC (not that Bevell was great) and created larger issues. Schotty being able to make sure Pete got the hell out of his way on offense is a big part of that. Even Pete said so.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Seahawks are doing what good teams should do. See what the trends in the NFL are and find the under-appreciated value. With all the pass offenses teams have gone small on defense and have nickel as a base D. So the Seahawks go big on the Oline with a power running attack that pushes these small Dlines around.

chris98251

Reaction score
sdog1981":10m3qssb said:
The Seahawks are doing what good teams should do. See what the trends in the NFL are and find the under-appreciated value. With all the pass offenses teams have gone small on defense and have nickel as a base D. So the Seahawks go big on the Oline with a power running attack that pushes these small Dlines around.

Who do you think started the trend of smaller DL lineman and speed with Bigger CB's ?

Now that the league has mostly transistioned to that and Carroll Jettisoned Cable he has the power run scheme that will domionate that kind of line, it's what he wanted from the beginning, Lynch made Cables system work due to Lynch being the anomaly he is. Pity we didn't just make Solari the Iline Coach from the beginning.

The ZBS in it's Purity has been ruled out of existence and Cable did not have the knowledge to adapt.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":2pgm2uue said:
sdog1981":2pgm2uue said:

Who do you think started the trend of smaller DL lineman and speed with Bigger CB's ?

Now that the league has mostly transistioned to that and Carroll Jettisoned Cable he has the power run scheme that will domionate that kind of line, it's what he wanted from the beginning, Lynch made Cables system work due to Lynch being the anomaly he is. Pity we didn't just make Solari the Iline Coach from the beginning.

The ZBS in it's Purity has been ruled out of existence and Cable did not have the knowledge to adapt.

And Ds had to worry about Wilson burying them too. Wilson's extra 600-900 yards on top of Lynch made Cable look good. Cable was just along for the ride.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Stats, shmats.

The offense is actually enjoyable to watch. We have scored on opening drives more this year than the entire duration of Bevell's run here. Our OL doesn't just stand there and watch as Wilson gets sacked. Our running backs are getting holes opened for them. We actually have a running game and a damn good one, too.

The Seahawks are fun to watch again, and that's the best part. Kudos to Carroll for turning the ship around and making it fun to watch the Seahawks again. That's all I wanted and now we have it. Finally.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aros":amk5o9yc said:
I think a big part of the equation besides the other things mentioned is the importance of moving on from players who no longer have bought in - for whatever the reason. I won't name names, we all know who, but I cannot understate enough the difference when that negative energy leaves the locker room being replaced with an infusion of youth who not only have the talent to succeed under the right program and culture but the WANT TO.
Tho I agree with the main point of your statement, in regards to this post, it doesn't seem to hold.

Everyone we got rid of with that negative energy was on Defense. Am I missing something? :shock:

chris98251

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":37jk6z9z said:
Aros":37jk6z9z said:
I think a big part of the equation besides the other things mentioned is the importance of moving on from players who no longer have bought in - for whatever the reason. I won't name names, we all know who, but I cannot understate enough the difference when that negative energy leaves the locker room being replaced with an infusion of youth who not only have the talent to succeed under the right program and culture but the WANT TO.
Tho I agree with the main point of your statement, in regards to this post, it doesn't seem to hold.

Everyone we got rid of with that negative energy was on Defense. Am I missing something? :shock:

Bevell and Cable.

Negative offense, negative vibes with the defense and the offense.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1mp7suet said:
Aros":1mp7suet said:

Apparently yes. Negative energy can pervade a locker room. A team is like a body. Negative energy in this context is a player or players who act like cancer and can destroy the body from within. What does it matter what segment of the team/body the negativity came from? I am not sure where the problem is understanding my comments or what branch of the team it stems from even matters?

getnasty

Reaction score
It's amazing to me that this could be our second best year in history but we are currently ranked 6th in points scored in the league for this year and could easily end up 10th.

justafan

Reaction score
getnasty":wnobe2vr said:
It's amazing to me that this could be our second best year in history but we are currently ranked 6th in points scored in the league for this year and could easily end up 10th.

I think the 2005 team would be a monster in todays NFL. Better than the Rams or Chiefs IMO. It was a whole different era with the rule changes.

Schotty deserves more credit than Solari IMO. Solari has done a great job but he has been very average through his career. I am glad he is here now tho.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seahawks have the record for most points scored in the Carroll era (2nd most in franchise history), despite a horrific showing by the offensive line.

edogg23

Reaction score
chris98251":1mbv5d4v said:
Jazzhawk":1mbv5d4v said:
Aros":1mbv5d4v said:

Bevell and Cable.

Negative offense, negative vibes with the defense and the offense.

Exactly, If this isn’t proof of just how far they were dragging down the offense then nothing is.