Shane Ray?

McGruff

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":14vho1uc said:
Seems a bit harsh that you have to enter the substance abuse program for mere possession.

Yeah, cause non-users possess all the time.

I promise, sir, I was bringing it to my grandma!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That little green bag likely cost Shane Ray about a million bucks. What a blockhead!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Falling to the 4th seems like a stretch that PFT would envision.

titan3131

Reaction score
McGruff":1gppx6z6 said:
Spleenhawk2.0":1gppx6z6 said:
Maybe the closest comparable was Tyrann Mathieu a few years ago. But he was kicked off of the LSU team all-together, and plays a position (safety) that is rarely a top 15 pick. He only dropped until the 3rd round, and that was after Mathieu admitted having a MAJOR issue with weed. Ray is a consensus top 15 pick at a high-demand position

This latest issue had definitely cost Ray a top 10-15 draft slot. There are also injury rumors swirling around right now. With so many teams needing a pass rusher, I cannot see Ray falling out of the first round - worse case scenario for him would be to fall to the top of the second round

If you read Ray's life story you will see a guy (similar to DGB) who very recently seemed to have overcome significant demons . . . but this flips the script back considerably.

This is a guy who grew up with a violent streak due to anger issues. He was kicked out of peewee football due to over aggressiveness. His anger continued well into his college career, where he also struggled with partying and most significantly was a very self-oriented player . . . he almost got kicked off the Missouri football team for being all about himself.

But over the course of the last year he seemed to put all that to bed. he seemed to have found some measure of peace . . . but this decision and bust will cause a lot of teams to revisit that past ande decide its not wirth the risk of repeating.

He's a phenom on the field. he plays like a more polished Bruce Irvin. What Bruce could've been with better college coaching and scheme fit. His athleticism is off the charts. IF he can overcomoe this latest act of stupidity, he ticks a lot fo the right boxes . . . but will now be seen as a significant risk.

I can't see him falling to the 4th, but out of the 2nd? Sure.

WEED IS A TYPE OF SEDATIVE. DEFIANTLY MELLOWS PEOPLE OUT...

Hawkspur

Reaction score
McGruff":2v2zfl0o said:
Hawkspur":2v2zfl0o said:
Do prospects who get busted for drugs prior to being drafted and signed to an NFL team still enter the drug program? If so, from what point do their actions fall under NFL jurisdiction? Is it during college or after announcing their intention to declare?

It is my understanding that because he decalred, anything that happens since the end of the college season qualifies him for disciplinary action.

He will go into the NFL automatically enrolled in the substance abuse program, and the next incident will garner him a suspecnsion

Thanks. The risk of suspension should be enough to scare some teams off, in the first round anyway.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
McGruff":tdbtfys9 said:
Hawkspur":tdbtfys9 said:
Do prospects who get busted for drugs prior to being drafted and signed to an NFL team still enter the drug program? If so, from what point do their actions fall under NFL jurisdiction? Is it during college or after announcing their intention to declare?

It is my understanding that because he decalred, anything that happens since the end of the college season qualifies him for disciplinary action.

He will go into the NFL automatically enrolled in the substance abuse program, and the next incident will garner him a suspecnsion

Thanks. The risk of suspension should be enough to scare some teams off, in the first round anyway. What a dumbass.

McGruff

Reaction score
titan3131":38626snd said:

WEED IS A BANNED SUBSTANCE. DEFINITELY GETS PLAYERS SUSPENDED ...

Again, like DGB and others before them, it doesn't matter if YOU think weed is bad or not. It doesn't matter if YOU think its a big deal or not. Weed may very well be something Ray takes to chill out and not kill people. It doesn't matter. The NFL thinks weed is bad and a big deal and it doesn't matter what you or Ray or anyone thinks . . . if he pops he will get dropped.

cdallan

Reaction score
McGruff":2orv83hk said:
UK_Seahawk":2orv83hk said:
Seems a bit harsh that you have to enter the substance abuse program for mere possession.

There are people who possess and don't use. Dealers for one.

McGruff

Reaction score
cdallan":37onkz85 said:
McGruff":37onkz85 said:
UK_Seahawk":37onkz85 said:

There are people who possess and don't use. Dealers for one.

Good point. :)

dutchcoug

Reaction score
The question is, if DGB and Ray both fell to 63, which would you rather take the risk on? For me, DGB. More of a need position and he has zero strikes in the NFL. Ray would be one failed test away from suspension and living in WA where it's legal, the temptation might be too strong.

McGruff

Reaction score
The legaility of it is irrelevant. If you want pot you can get pot anywhere.

I agree with the thinking that Ray is already one strike away from suspension factoring into the decision. The problem with both of these guys is they have the ability to be incredible players, even early on in their careers. And when that happens, teams will begin to lean on them, to count on them, and to make decisions around them . . . and then when the shoe drops you aren't just cutting a former 2nd or 3rd round pick . . . you are cutting an integral part of you team.

Its a big risk. I honestly feel much better about DGB than Ray, simply because of the suspension thing and the "feeling" I get that DGB is indeed moving forward in life. This latest incident with Ray makes me worry that there are demons he just can't seem to overcome.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Actually, in referencing my above post, I was thinking of Randy Gregory. He failed a drug test AT the combine, and has multiple problems before.

Easy to get them confused, both have top 10 talent, both edge rushers, and both can't quit messing with weed. In rereading some draft analysis, it seems that people think the good teams in the end of the 1st round, or even the end of the 2nd round will take a chance on one or both of these guys. The premise being that they are already good teams and can afford to take a chance.

What people sometimes fail to realize is the bad teams really NEED to hit on their higher 1st rounders. It's not just a wasted draft spot (like we tend to think of it here), but a massive opportunity cost of not getting elite talent to perform and raise your team up.

When you're the Jaguars and Browns, you need to pick safer 1st round skill position players.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Back to the original question: If SR's foot checks out and he's available at #63 in the 2nd Round, or he's close enough to warrant moving up to get him, then YES, I'd take him. He'd be a top ten talent at a position of some need at an incredible value. Yes, he'd enter the league on the "program", but so what? It's not like he's a rapist QB or something.

titan3131

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":ili29ffy said:
titan3131":ili29ffy said:
Not all people... Aaron Hernandez being an exception.

well he was getting paranoid and doing cociane too! lol

mikeak

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":skv474sd said:

And all I did (if we ignore the stuff I did before) was have a couple of drinks after my team's season ended......

Sincerely,

Josh Gordon

IMHO the risk of the long suspensions is now what really concern teams. Once you are in the league it is pretty hard to get busted for smoking pot UNLESS you are in the program. So the lack of ability to stay far away from the pot for this short period is what should make teams really worried about what will happen over the next 1-2 years....

netskier

Reaction score
Chronic cocaine or other stimulants affecting dopaminergic systems causes acute paranoid schizophrenia. This is the etymology of the term dope fiend. So blame the coke, not the grass.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont have a problem with anyone smoking weed.I have a problem with someone being dumb enough to get stoned before the biggest day of his career.

Seafan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":11njp7w3 said:
Hawkspur":11njp7w3 said:

Not until they are officially on an NFL roster. So no.

He's in the program as soon as he signs.