Shaq griffen

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
blaisio":1mdjn61g said:
I almost wonder if having his brother there has been a distraction. Obviously he was better last year, but had future Hof playing around him to get him in the right position. But I'm just wondering if he is around his brother more and not with the vets that can help him improve.

This. Shaq regressed and his brother did not perform how people were expecting. It’s hard to not put 2 and 2 together that the good story actually ended up having a negative effect. It’s unfortunate. I was pretty excited for both based on their play.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is a right CB and is learning the LCB spot, he has played it in the past but his comfort was always on RCB, I would not move Flowers learning his first year either, he will learn and be better as will they as a tandem, what they need to learn is reading a receiver to know when the ball is coming to as many say be able to look around for the interception, it will also cut down on some penalties if you are going for the ball and not blindly putting your hand and ripping the ball out of their arms.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Remember when he got stiff armed to the ground last night? Good times.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":31oibtyt said:
WestcoastSteve":31oibtyt said:
MontanaHawk05":31oibtyt said:
Up until now, Griffin was getting victimized by a lot of perfect throws to a lot of #1 receivers. They say perfect throws beat good coverage every time.

Today was bad, though. Easily Griffin's worst game. A shame, because he was improving in December.

The thing is we watched Richard play that same positon against those same receivers and he was effective because people didn't really throw his way.

No one is afraid to throw on Griffin.
Sherm gets his head turned quickly, Shaq doesn’t. He is in position a lot of times but doesn’t see the ball until it’s too late.
#1 rule for DB’s is get that head turned around when the ball is coming. It’s basic highschool football, or at least was 30 years ago when I played.
I was so pissed at that TD Gallop caught..Shaq just stared at the wr while ball
floats just over his shoulfer pad.
Turn head ...Easy interception!We need basic football teachers some clearly need it.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":13uf8ar1 said:
We have gotten to see some great corners over the years.

Sherman, Browner, Maxwell, were all tremendous corners - near the top in the league.

Expecting Griffen to be that because you are used to that is folly. He is an average corner that isn't even that far from his rookie year. He will never be an All Pro but expecting that is weird. We are used to it, but most corners don't become the next Sherman or even Maxwell.

This. A voice of reason.

Every team has a combo of talented genius players and serviceable ones.

We had several super star rare talent players at this position and that's what we're accustomed to seeing.

Shaq is good and is still learning. While he may not have the raw talent that Sherman had, my feeling is that he'll improve. (based on his work ethic).

Meanwhile, we have rare exceptional talent at other positions. With the "re-tooling" we as fans should be more flexible.

SMH at hating on our own players :180670:

getnasty

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":3247urtg said:
TwistedHusky":3247urtg said:

Sherman, Browner, Maxwell, were all tremendous corners - near the top in the league.

Expecting Griffen to be that because you are used to that is folly. He is an average corner that isn't even that far from his rookie year. He will never be an All Pro but expecting that is weird. We are used to it, but most corners don't become the next Sherman or even Maxwell.

This. A voice of reason.

Every team has a combo of talented genius players and serviceable ones.

We had several super star rare talent players at this position and that's what we're accustomed to seeing.

Shaq is good and is still learning. While he may not have the raw talent that Sherman had, my feeling is that he'll improve. (based on his work ethic).

Meanwhile, we have rare exceptional talent at other positions. With the "re-tooling" we as fans should be more flexible.

SMH at hating on our own players :180670:

Id like to add that when you have Earl helping out and Kam laying the wood it helps everyone else as well. Shaq is a work in progress but he's young, it's his first year on that side and he's going to get better.
I don't mind drafting another corner you can never have to many but I feel good about our duo going toward.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So before all you wizards who need to find someone to blame go off the edge with your blaming, you all need to recall that 3 days this last week Griffin was on the injury report with a bad ankle and was seriously sucking it up to even be playing last night. He was hurt prior to the SF game and has been struggling since. He played fine. The whole team had a problem defending Dalas’ O last night. We need to dial back the blame game on one player. Last night Tre Flowers was hurt too and so the the two starters were on the limp which didn’t help.

Griffin is clearly not Sherman, few are. Griffin is still a talented CB and a hard nosed tackler. He is a quality CB and lots of teams would be glad to take him off the hands of the Hawks. I’m rather certain Neither Pete nor John would want him to be moved out. He doesn’t get the back end support that Sherm got of he got last year when ET still played and he was playing on the right side. Thinking about it, both Flowers and Griffin are pretty solid finds by the FO, Coleman is a sold player too. Griffin is getting better with experience, Flowers has been a huge positive addition to the Dand he has changed position from college, he will be better next season too.

I like what the team is getting from McDougald and T2 as well but they too were nicked up and it was fortunate they both played. Neither are Chancellor or Thomas they were generational talents who will be unlikely to be easily replaced by anyone as talented. Reality is the pass D is not as good as we have gotten used to they don’t shut down but they do limit and will only get better together. Dallas is a good team though and they played well yesterday. Our D got outplayed yesterday.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":39ria6wv said:
I figure that the "finger pointing" will continue for at least four weeks. None of it will solve a single problem on this team.
The draft is still three and a half months away. That's enough cushion for at least two months of finger pointing around here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ljxreb6 said:

This is a nice, condescending straw man to shut down criticism of Griffin, but the fact remains that you aren't going to have much of a defense if nobody's afraid to throw at your #1 corner.

I just hope the issue really was injury.

BamKam

Reaction score
This board is so jekyl and hyde is nuts. Shaq is an ok corner who has had to follow the greatest CB we have ever had here. It is the hardest position to play in the NFL with the athletes you have to cover and the rule book being completely against you. One of the problems was that after we drafted him and JS and PC were hyping him up out of training camp this place always assumes anyone we draft is going to be another Richard Sherman/Kam Chancellor type of gem.

He has had good and bad moments. This was his first year playing LCB full time. I would say if he doesn't improve next year by a good amount then it is time to be concerned. Get out of your heads that we will ever have a secondary like we had 2012-17 in the near future, it isn't happening.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe blisters #26 on Undisputed TV show re: 2 key Zeke plays

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a lot of blame to go around for that loss.

But it strikes me as harsh to level it on the 2nd year corner that you forced to cover for a HOF player and did a decent job all year. Not amazing, but certainly decent.

He gave up a few big plays but great players make great plays in the playoffs. He was playing #1s, played good coverage, just did not turn his head. But really? To pin the loss on him??

The defense should have never been expected to win that game for us. It was reasonable to expect the Cowboys would score, and yes likely a score or two would be on Griffen.

He did what he could with what he had, and he did OK. He didn't burn us repeatedly, he didn't blow coverages, he just got outplayed.

Imagine if we didn't have him? This team would look a whole lot worse.

Seymour

Reaction score
You guys got it all wrong.

Pete in press conference today on Griffin.

" I thought he was really consistent all year. I thought he was really solid.....".

Hqdefault

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
nwHawk":30re8na6 said:
The Cowboys fans around us felt like they were getting jobbed.

I was at the game as well and until the final two PI calls against us near the end, the Cowboy fans felt like they were robbed, especially on KJ's interception (which from my angle did look like PI before he caught it).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cowboys fans complaining about officiating, how cute.
This particular game was not even close to being on the refs. Overall, they did a pretty solid job vs. some of the crap shows we have seen (See At Santa Clara)

Also, if you're gonna' rip a guy, who is in his 2nd year, at least spell his name right. GRIFFIN

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3cn1yxr8 said:
You guys got it all wrong.

Pete in press conference today on Griffin.

" I thought he was really consistent all year. I thought he was really solid.....".

Hqdefault

Griffin was solid, but not great (excluding his atrocious playoff game Sunday). He struggled to switch sides and take over for Richard as our #1 CB and be the playmaking CB that we need there.

I fully expect 1-2 CB's to be drafted and there to be plenty of competition for Griffin to keep his job next camp.

I actually HOPE that Griffin was dealing with an injury Sunday, and that contributed greatly to him being so terrible........and not that he's regressed to that point of looking like he doesn't even belong on the field anymore.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2n0bkljn said:
WestcoastSteve":2n0bkljn said:
MontanaHawk05":2n0bkljn said:
Up until now, Griffin was getting victimized by a lot of perfect throws to a lot of #1 receivers. They say perfect throws beat good coverage every time.

Today was bad, though. Easily Griffin's worst game. A shame, because he was improving in December.

The thing is we watched Richard play that same positon against those same receivers and he was effective because people didn't really throw his way.

No one is afraid to throw on Griffin.
Sherm gets his head turned quickly, Shaq doesn’t. He is in position a lot of times but doesn’t see the ball until it’s too late.
#1 rule for DB’s is get that head turned around when the ball is coming. It’s basic highschool football, or at least was 30 years ago when I played.

It was the one thing I did better than anyone else.

But I was also slow, smaller and didnt have good hands.

So safety and slot corner it was!

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Solid? Lol. Just stop. He was below average all year. Go look at PFF.

However he will grow i hope like ifedi did and take a major step next yr. You just dont cut players like some of the people on here want right away. The players need time to grow. Shaq pissed me off this year. He looked lazy, nonchalant and was getting abused more times then not. Im still not not the one to say cut a player after 2nd or even 3rd year.

I will expect a step back up to being a good player again Next season. I think Tre will be the better CB when all is said and done though.