Sherman and Baldwin Can be Crazy Sometimes

Sac

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qj9a96i said:
English is correct, and Marshawn's contractually obligated to do it, and he knew that before he was ever drafted.

I love Beef Moe, but he's got no excuse to avoid the media like he does, no matter how uncomfortable it makes him. He knew the stakes and requirements when he joined the NFL.
He's contractually obligated to make himself available, he's not required to actually answer questions.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Funny thing here....Russell Wilson had his press conference immediately before Sherman/Baldwin. Wilson's press conference is almost 10 minutes long (4 times longer than this one) and was posted to the site an hour ago. Still no sign of this one yet.

Makes me wonder if there's a bunch of guys in the Seahawks Media Department sitting around a table right now trying to figure out the best way to spin this thing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was wondering what week Sherm would finally say something to freak them out. :D

Awesome. Shoot, even some Niner players were saying it was funny. Sherm just says what MANY other players are likely thinking about this league.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":249sdx2c said:
theENGLISHseahawk":249sdx2c said:
All this protesting about Marshawn Lynch wouldn't be needed if Marshawn Lynch just did one five minute chat with the local beat writers once a season.

Just saying.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. He's being told he has to be "available to the media" after practice and games, right? I mean, he tried to get out of the fine by granting interviews to Mike Rob and Michael Silver after the Chiefs game and that certainly didn't fly. They really seem to want him in front of a crowd.

There wasn't a hint of any sarcasm.

I just have a hard time having any sympathy for a man who would rather take a $100,000 fine (and can afford to) rather than speak with civility to Seattle's small group of beat writers once a year. A group who, as far as I'm aware, are completely courteous, lack any kind of intensity, have done nothing but praise Marshawn Lynch since he arrived in Seattle and took 4-5 weeks to even ask Pete Carroll about the Lynch contract situation. Carroll virtually told them off last week for not asking sooner.

So yeah, today's press conference with Sherman was pretty zany. And if it helps the team win -- I'm all for it. But I doubt it has any impact on the field and it just seems like a "millionaire's problem".

I don't expect much support for this opinion from fans because Lynch, Sherman and co will always win vs the media. I just think it's a storm in a tea cup and wholly unavoidable.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2so77hnt said:
speak with civility to Seattle's small group of beat writers once a year. A group who, as far as I'm aware, are completely courteous, lack any kind of intensity, have done nothing but praise Marshawn Lynch since he arrived in Seattle and took 4-5 weeks to even ask Pete Carroll about the Lynch contract situation. Carroll virtually told them off last week for not asking sooner.

I was going to leave this be, but you said it twice, and it is such bull. It's not just the "small group of Seattle beat writers. If that was the case, this would have come to a head a LONG time ago. It's national media writers and there are plenty of media following the Seahawks since their success, not just some handful of Seattle guys. Also, KIRO didn't even have a clue as to who it was who asked Pete that question on Lynch yesterday, which would lead a rational thinker to assume that perhaps it wasn't a local media guy.

Do you even realize that national and international media are included in this fiasco?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
253hawk":9fry12y0 said:
ESPN is melting down over it. Can't say anything bad about The Shield, ever.

Those Yes men are towing the company line, no way they say anything negative about NFL or ESPN. $$$$ They're on the gravy train, they're not risking anything.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2lfcq1hu said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2lfcq1hu said:
speak with civility to Seattle's small group of beat writers once a year. A group who, as far as I'm aware, are completely courteous, lack any kind of intensity, have done nothing but praise Marshawn Lynch since he arrived in Seattle and took 4-5 weeks to even ask Pete Carroll about the Lynch contract situation. Carroll virtually told them off last week for not asking sooner.

I was going to leave this be, but you said it twice, and it is such bull. It's not just the "small group of Seattle beat writers. If that was the case, this would have come to a head a LONG time ago. It's national media writers and there are plenty of media following the Seahawks since their success, not just some handful of Seattle guys. Also, KIRO didn't even have a clue as to who it was who asked Pete that question on Lynch yesterday, which would lead a rational thinker to assume that perhaps it wasn't a local media guy.

Do you even realize that national and international media are included in this fiasco?

As far as I'm aware the issue is that Lynch has refused requests to speak with the media. Had he agreed to one of these requests during the 2013 season, he would've avoided the suspended $50,000 fine. The full $100,000 was only initiated when, despite knowing the consequences, he chose to take the same stance in 2014.

This isn't about making yourself available every week to every form of media. He could've set up a meeting in the locker room or in the facility to speak with the local beat writers. Maybe one or two nationals -- whatever. We all know the people who attend more often than not and they don't have to advertise the fact Lynch will be speaking. If someone asks a dud question (I doubt it, considering the idea would be positively terrifying) he doesn't have to answer. I suspect he could even end the press conference. I'm not aware of any time limit.

I don't expect people to agree with my opinion on this because as I said -- fans generally don't like the media and they generally do like superstar football players who do a great job for their team (understatement). I'm a huge Marshawn Lynch fan. But we all have to do things at work we don't want to do. I wish the things I didn't want to do essentially amounted to five minutes polite conversation with a group of local journalists. Lynch is in the position to take a $100,000 fine for this which is more than most of us earn in several years. That's his decision and I respect that. But I hope Richard Sherman uses some perspective when opting to launch a crusade against the fine. Because it so totally avoidable.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1fuk7hx4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1fuk7hx4 said:
All this protesting about Marshawn Lynch wouldn't be needed if Marshawn Lynch just did one five minute chat with the local beat writers once a season.

Just saying.

It's pointing out a ridiculous policy. The man doesn't want to talk, don't make him freaking talk. There are 52 other guys on the team and I bet the majority would love to do an interview.

Fining him 100K for that is absolutely ridiculous.

But if you take away the policy, where does it stop? Can a Head Coach say he never wants to talk? I think this is the point really. I don't think one small press conference, on request, is an unreasonable thing to ask of any player. We all have to do things we'd ideally not do at work.

And the original fine was a suspended $50k. So as long as he did one small press conference in 2014, the fine actually would've been $0. It's the fact he's taken this stance for two years that's led to any money needing to change hands at all.

Having watched pretty much every player on this roster offer a couple of minutes to Tony Ventrella post game over the years. I suspect most of them didn't want to talk either. This wouldn't be a story if, for example, after the Raiders game Lynch spoke to Tony, Danny O'Neill and one or two other local writers. Answered a few Q's about how great the running game is and moved on. If he'd done this in week one against Green Bay he could've dodged every single press request for the rest of the year.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":icv9b3k5 said:
kidhawk":icv9b3k5 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":icv9b3k5 said:

As far as I'm aware the issue is that Lynch has refused requests to speak with the media. Had he agreed to one of these requests during the 2013 season, he would've avoided the suspended $50,000 fine. The full $100,000 was only initiated when, despite knowing the consequences, he chose to take the same stance in 2014.

This isn't about making yourself available every week to every form of media. He could've set up a meeting in the locker room or in the facility to speak with the local beat writers. Maybe one or two nationals -- whatever. We all know the people who attend more often than not and they don't have to advertise the fact Lynch will be speaking. If someone asks a dud question (I doubt it, considering the idea would be positively terrifying) he doesn't have to answer. I suspect he could even end the press conference. I'm not aware of any time limit.

I don't expect people to agree with my opinion on this because as I said -- fans generally don't like the media and they generally do like superstar football players who do a great job for their team (understatement). I'm a huge Marshawn Lynch fan. But we all have to do things at work we don't want to do. I wish the things I didn't want to do essentially amounted to five minutes polite conversation with a group of local journalists. Lynch is in the position to take a $100,000 fine for this which is more than most of us earn in several years. That's his decision and I respect that. But I hope Richard Sherman uses some perspective when opting to launch a crusade against the fine. Because it so totally avoidable.

He has spoken to the media this year. It's mentioned in this article:

[urltargetblank]http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/11/19/3497880_wallet-recovery-man-marshawn-lynch.html?sp=/99/512/&rh=1[/urltargetblank]

I've also heard Clayton say multiple times that it's not local media that has complained to the NFL about Lynch speaking. I can't source that, but I've heard him say it on KIRO.

I have no problem with the NFL having players talk to the media. I have no problem with players who don't like to talk to the media.

I just like to see that the facts are posted, and to say that he only needs to talk to the Seattle media and only once per year is not even close to fact

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like they finally posted this on the website. Nothing here that isn't in the youtube video posted earlier though.

[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Richard-Sherman-Week-13-Press-Conference/788ae1f3-4723-41a7-a931-87be46a308dc[/urltargetblank]

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ph901wh said:
I just like to see that the facts are posted, and to say that he only needs to talk to the Seattle media and only once per year is not even close to fact

Provide the facts to me then. I mean, if you're going to lecture me on getting my facts right -- what is the exact policy?

The issue here is Lynch has not done an organised press conference. This can be -- believe me -- a small gathering of press post game in the locker room as we saw on Sunday. Lynch has not done this. After every game he refuses. That is the issue.

Don't want to speak after the game? Speak pre-game instead. I'm sure they could arrange that to not be on the podium at the VMAC. Perhaps a more comfortable setting?

Lynch has only spoken to direct members of the media on the phone one-to-one (eg Mike Silver). That is not what the policy asks. He needs to be made available for a general Q&A. And as far as I'm aware that could be just the few gathered locals after one of the games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why do you care so much? I'm not trying to start an argument, just asking an honest question. Why do you care?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1hd5iu4c said:
kidhawk":1hd5iu4c said:

Provide the facts to me then. I mean, if you're going to lecture me on getting my facts right -- what is the exact policy?

The issue here is Lynch has not done an organised press conference. This can be -- believe me -- a small gathering of press post game in the locker room as we saw on Sunday. Lynch has not done this. After every game he refuses. That is the issue.

Don't want to speak after the game? Speak pre-game instead. I'm sure they could arrange that to not be on the podium at the VMAC. Perhaps a more comfortable setting?

Lynch has only spoken to direct members of the media on the phone one-to-one (eg Mike Silver). That is not what the policy asks. He needs to be made available for a general Q&A. And as far as I'm aware that could be just the few gathered locals after one of the games.

Do you mean like the time he spoke to the media after the Oakland game, which I linked to you in my reply?

The one with just those "few local beat writers" around his locker you were talking about?

LynchpostgameOAK-768x1024.jpg

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
253hawk":2b494joh said:
ESPN is melting down over it. Can't say anything bad about The Shield, ever.
Wilbon didn't. Solidly in Sherm's corner on this. Even Kornholer was pretty much "meh".
But of course the NFL Live guys, Hasselbeck's bitter little brother, Trey Wingnut and Mark Brunell (you were a Husky? really dude?) and Herm "get off my lawn" Edwards all weren't amused nor were the Sportscenter anchors. Whatever. I'm sure Richard will lose much sleep knowing the mighty Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network didn't approve of he and Doug having some fun. :roll:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They should be happy, they have nothing better to do than talk about Hawks players and tear into them. Hilarious.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So. Lynch does give an interview, and it takes precisely 5 seconds to know he isn't going to say anything. But the assembled group of reporters is only emboldened by this, and proceed to make it a contest to see who can provoke him.

And I am supposed to feel bad for them that he won't talk to them? He even gave them an opportunity by mentioning his foundation, but how many of them wanted to call off the crusade to talk about what he wanted to talk about? Yeah, zero.

I give precisely zero about their need to get him to say a few words.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ez8i81o said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1ez8i81o said:
kidhawk":1ez8i81o said:

Do you mean like the time he spoke to the media after the Oakland game, which I linked to you in my reply?

The one with just those "few local beat writers" around his locker you were talking about?

LynchpostgameOAK-768x1024.jpg

Ok I checked the actual rule.

A player must be made available at least once upon request during the practise week.

So my mistake -- a quick conversation after the game following the Oakland win was not enough. One quick conversation with the same local writers between Monday-Friday would've been enough to avoid the fine.

And yes, it can just be the local writers or 'regulars'. The rule stipulates: "Star players, or other players with unusually heavy media demands, must be available to the media that regularly cover their teams at least once during the practice week".

SoulfishHawk":1ez8i81o said:
Why do you care so much? I'm not trying to start an argument, just asking an honest question. Why do you care?

I'm just joining in the conversation man. As I said, I don't expect any support for my opinion. But this is what we're talking about and I'm having my two cents.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If one, I mean just one, of those <censored> media morons had picked up on what Marshawn WANTED to talk to them about, they could have had a pretty good interview. He put it right out over the plate for them, but no they didn't even take a swing at it. They weren't interested in anything Marshawn wanted to talk about, they were just looking for soundbites and quotes that they could insert into their already written articles about the game.

- bsd