sherman contract in relation to new extension for Thomas

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1zawja84 said:
This will be Mebane's last year as a 'Hawk.

Doubt it.

While you could say that about guys like Lynch, Miller and also Clemons, Bryant because their replacements are already on the roster.

Mebane just turned 29 in January, and has two years left on his contract worth $5.7mil each.

However, unlike the other players above there is no one remotely close to replacing Mebane that is currently on the roster, and I doubt this particular draft will yield such a person.

All Mebane has done since 2010 is transform himself into one of the best NT in the game. I believe he was PFFs 8th best run-stuffer and 2012 and 2nd overall in 2013. Which means he's not in regression.

Unless Mebane has a trash year or a critical injury, he'll probably serve out the rest of his contract and could even be re-signed as a role player if the Seahawks need the body.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Also, to add to the Original Topic:

I think its easy to deduce that when reports came out that Sherman and Seahawks were in negotiation that Earl Thomas was already a done deal. That's my take at least. That's what I believed.

While some here were over-evaluating a Sherman extension, and whining about Earl deserved to get done first, my first thought was "Earl already was". No sources, just a somewhat logical gut feel.

edogg23

Reaction score
I think if we get to draft day and still no deal, its going to be a bad sign. This front office it way to smart to let emotions get involved. They have a number they know will work and if a player won't take it, sorry next man up. Sherman has a lot of pride (as he should) so this may be a lot tougher of a negotiation than we think.

ManBunts

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":20awr0zt said:
This will be Mebane's last year as a 'Hawk.

Why? He's an anchor, and with Red's departure, our big stopgap against the run. And has hands down the best celebratory dance. I hope it's not his last year.

As for the original post, my first thought was "Good, they locked up Thomas so they knew how much they had to work with for Sherman. AND, Thomas is the acknowledged leader of the group. If you want to keep the group, you convince the guy they respect the most first"

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I expect he will sign an extension close to the draft. I really didn't expect us to make these deals until the last minute anyway. Seattle has done that the last 3 years (Unger/Chancellor and now Thomas). From a logic standpoint, there is no advantage to committing your cap dollars on extensions early in the process. Fluidity allows the team to strike on surprise cap casualties as the UFA process moves along.

From what I can tell, and it's what I would do -- is to do the negotiating for extensions during the UFA process. Lay the groundwork for deals -- but don't spend until the last minute. Seattle seems to do precisely that. The order of who gets the extension doesn't really matter. I'm sure internally, the expected payout has already been factored into their cap and into their decisions on what UFAs to pursue. It's in Seattle cap health interests to extend players. Particularly guys that are not easily replaced.

Thomas and Sherman are the types of superstars that every team would consider the ideal prospect. Great, smart, hungry and committed to hard work. Thomas and Sherman are also a rare breed of superstar, in that they are able to confer their knowledge readily to team mates. Some stars are not good at making their team mates better. Thomas and Sherman are gifted in that way. They set the right kind of bar for this team that lesser players need to measure up to.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hawknation2014":zzsvkokj said:
They could save a lot of money by letting him play out his rookie deal, placing the franchise tag on him in 2015, and then signing him to a multi-year deal when he's 27 or 28 years old. I don't see another CB commanding a $13 million multi-year deal in the near future. Darrelle Revis has only managed to command one-year rentals for $12 million.

bad way to treat a guy that has earned it though; and also it 'could' save them money but if we all agree he is the best CB in the game and perfect four our defense, the actual more cap-consciencious way to get this done would be to do it ASAP and begin pro-rating that bonus ASAP, because that means you're that much closer to re-doing the deal again to free up cap space later.

IMO he gets his deal announced within the next week.

IMO his deal is already done but they let Earl announce first since he was drafted before Sherman and like Kam, they want him to have his moment.

It's been my theory all along that the the two deals would be done at the same time.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned but John did say that they've been working on ET's deal since the playoffs last year. This was said during the press conference.

chris98251

Reaction score
They will do an extension and lock him up, we have now earned a reputation of treating our players with respect and communicate openly with them, not in the media but at the office. You don't screw that up.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1r0yg0hj said:
Sherm still has a small contract this year so they may hold out until next year to do the extension.
That is exactly the reason to get an extension done this year. This month. This week.

It has been the stated objective of the Seahawks to reward the key players who have contributed. Dragging the process out in order to save some money is the antithesis of that. Theoretically, the monetary costs of doing it either way would likely be the same -- the money saved by delaying Sherm's extension for a year would be eaten up by the higher market value he would command next year. Plus, you'd end up having to deal with Sherm's extension and Russell's (both of them) extension in the same offseason.

The big difference between getting it done now and waiting a year is in Sherman's attitude toward the Seahawks. He already carries a huge chip on his shoulder toward all other teams because of the disrespect he feels from getting passed over in the draft. And he has already said that he'll determine how much we respect him by how much we offer him. If we try to save a few million by making him play the season for cheap, we may as well kiss him goodbye, because he certainly won't feel respected. We might get one more franchised year out of him, but then some team will show him LOTS of respect, and he'll bolt.

And then he'll have that same chip on his shoulder about us.

No thanks.

mikeak

Reaction score
Also note that extensions don't change the remaining year. He still plays for the money under the current year. The signing bonus gets split on all years including the upcoming one but that works two ways. Yes it increases the cap hit this year but it does lower the cap hit for upcoming years. We have room under the cap now so no issues with doing extensions now.

There are negative financial impacts by extending players now. The risk is if they get injured next year then you are out a bunch of money. The advantage is because of injury risk players often take less now vs gambling on next year. Exception being Flacco and it worked out for him.....

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's going to get done very soon. Be patient.

Better to lock up the young expensive talent now before the top dollar contract becomes inflated with the new cap numbers. The Sherman and ET contracts are going to seem like bargains in a year or two.