Sherman Going down isnt the end of the world

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Erebus":3ixhc5qz said:
Why not? It happened last year when Earl went down.
Because Pete has bolstered the play of the guys up on the front line.
Richardson, Jordan, also, Bennett, & Clark are still going gangbusters+ Wagner & Wright haven't lost their get after it either. Hopefully, Naz Jones will be alright for next Sunday's game....Actually, 9 days to rest up is going to be huge for the entire team.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ioupk0i said:
Nope, they can still win it all.
100 % agree.
Sherman will be missed, that's a given, but we've seen Pete come through with fielding some backup talent that keeps us in the running.
If the League Dillrods reins in on the shitty Officiating, we will be finer than frog hair. :2thumbs:

adeltaY

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks that Shead might be the best tackling DB on our team? I swear I've never seen him miss one and he's made some nasty open field tackles in the past. The dude is just so fundamentally sound it's awesome. I don't think run defense will suffer if he replaces Sherm.

To those who are saying Sherm was getting targeted more, aside from the Watson game it just wasn't true. He was probably averaging about 2 targets per game or thereabouts. Wish I could pull up the stats but I don't have PFF. He was playing at a high level with a ticking time bomb of an Achilles tendon. What a warrior.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear calmer, and more rational minds prevail on this one. I really admire and appreciate who Richard Sherman is as a player, and as a human being as well. I think he embodies the spirit, and defines the character of the Seattle Seahawks.

I was as sad as anyone to see Richard go down and out for the rest of the season, on this past Thursday night. To think his absence from the defense won't be felt is ludicrous. Of course it will, more importantly, and more to the point, Richard Sherman's absence from the field has been felt for several weeks now.

Richard hasn't been playing up to speed for most of this season. He said himself he's been dropping off the throttle trying to keep his achille from blowing out for weeks, more simply put he's not been able to really play up to his potential all season, and it has shown up on our opponents scoreboards in every game.

QBs have been aware and have gone to Sherm a lot more than they would if he were his normal self, and have had some pretty good success in doing so. My point being is that we have been playing, in effect, all season without Sherman.

I think that is in part why our defense has not been able to deny and hold our opponents scoring as well as they have traditionally been able to. Pull Earl, Sheldon, or Bobby, out and the effects of their absences are felt ten times over, because Sherm is missing to, the Sherm we all know anyway.

Now I'm going to say something a lot of folks will dispute, I'm sure. We might just be better off with Richard out of the line up, and letting some young gun get in there and try to fill those crazy big shoes of Sherm's. They will be a little easier to fill right now, because his shoe size isn't as big it would have been in previous seasons.

We may even see some improvements in coverage on that side of the field when they try exploiting a perceived weakness, and discover an unexpected strength waiting on them instead. Seattle still has some top talent that can step in to Richard's position, and you can bet your sweet bippy, that Sherman will be giving whoever fills that spot, all that he can, to help them be the best they can be playing it.

A lot of folks out there are ready to throw the Seahawks chances of playoffs, or even crazier, their chances of a super bowl bid, under the bus, because of Richards absence. I say they all got another think coming. Sherm's stepping out for the season could prove to be the thing that catapulted us into a non-stop winning streak. I guess only time will tell.

I don't know who takes the reigns at Sherman's position. I don't have a lot of faith in Lane, he is always injured. Shead might be able soon, but not right away most likely. Mcdougal, who filled in for Earl might be a candidate. He did a decent job filling in for Earl, who knows, maybe he could fill another pair of big ass shoes doing Sherman's job for awhile.

Go Seahawks !

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Rat":1jcqu0fz said:
It's not the end of the world, just the end of our championship hopes. Another year of our window has closed.

Season isn't over yet but we have a tough road ahead no doubt.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's about who you replace him with. Last year, we knew that if you lose Wags, Kam, or ET, your scoring defense surrenders anywhere from 6 to 8 more ppg.

This year, we have been without ET for two games and we have actually improved by 1 ppg from 17 to 16 ppg. There's an enormous difference between Terrell and McDougald. That said, Maxwell has signed and we should also get Shead back at some point as well.

It should be OK.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":3676ftl7 said:
Erebus":3676ftl7 said:

So they are the exact same person, therefor the exact same outcome?

Highly illogical

Sherman and the D got torched against Houston and we managed to beat a good team that played very well.

I wouldn't say its illogical to suggest that being down a great player at CB1 might impact our secondary's play. It doesn't need to be 1:1 exactitude to ring true.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON!!!

Tenor

We honestly don't know what the defense looks like without Sherman, cause it's never happened. If Earl's back I think we can slide coverage over to whoever's opposite of Griffin, whether that's Maxwell or Lane.

That means Griffin better play his ass off, or we're screwed. Cause you can scheme to help out one mediocre DB, but you can't two. So IMO Griffin is the most important part of this defensive backfield with no Sherman..............he's gotta play lights out, or we're screwed.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
mrt144":2cbrs84l said:
Seymour":2cbrs84l said:
Erebus":2cbrs84l said:

Highly illogical

Sherman and the D got torched against Houston and we managed to beat a good team that played very well.

I wouldn't say its illogical to suggest that being down a great player at CB1 might impact our secondary's play. It doesn't need to be 1:1 exactitude to ring true.
See my previous post. It hasn't been 1 to 1 with ET this year and last. The only thing we know is that we don't know.

mrt144

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2r85wvk6 said:
mrt144":2r85wvk6 said:
Seymour":2r85wvk6 said:
Erebus":2r85wvk6 said:

Highly illogical

See my previous post. It hasn't been 1 to 1 with ET this year and last. The only thing we know is that we don't know.

Man, if the coaching staff has the same lackadaisical anticipation of drop off as some of you, the defense is gonna get roasted. You don't need to know exactly what the dropoff will be to anticipate and plan around a drop off. Going into the sitaution basically agnostic of our own team's current strengths and weaknesses seems backwards.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
mrt144":hf4drroq said:
vin.couve12":hf4drroq said:
mrt144":hf4drroq said:
Seymour":hf4drroq said:

Highly illogical

Man, if the coaching staff has the same lackadaisical anticipation of drop off as some of you, the defense is gonna get roasted. You don't need to know exactly what the dropoff will be to anticipate and plan around a drop off. Going into the sitaution basically agnostic of our own team's current strengths and weaknesses seems backwards.
Nah, shading will happen, as it always has, with ET. Film study will give them an idea of what needs to happen. Communication will be key, as it always has.

I don't always say what's on my mind in here because most people don't get it anyway. For instance, I've seen more 2 man press and 2 deep man this year than previous years. If we start to bleed, we might even see more of it.

But we have to wait and see. We may not need to and we might continue to mix more in anyway. Blitzing might reduce, but again, we'll have to wait and see.

mrt144

Reaction score
vin.couve12":21mbk4i3 said:
mrt144":21mbk4i3 said:
vin.couve12":21mbk4i3 said:
mrt144":21mbk4i3 said:

Nah, shading will happen, as it always has, with ET. Film study will give them an idea of what needs to happen. Communication will be key, as it always has.

I don't always say what's on my mind in here because most people don't get it anyway. For instance, I've seen more 2 man press and 2 deep man this year than previous years. If we start to bleed, we might even see more of it.

But we have to wait and see. We may not need to and we might continue to mix more in anyway. Blitzing might reduce, but again, we'll have to wait and see.

I wish you would say more stuff like the 2nd paragraph because I totally get it and agree.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I remember when Trufant went down with an injury and some no name kid who used to be a WR named Richard Sherman was slotted to start. That worked out pretty well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2ha90y2b said:
I remember when Trufant went down with an injury and some no name kid who used to be a WR named Richard Sherman was slotted to start. That worked out pretty well.

So the new no name kid who comes in and dominates like Sherman is..........................................?

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2k6dipov said:
Hawk_Nation":2k6dipov said:

So the new no name kid who comes in and dominates like Sherman is..........................................?

Who knows... When Trufant went down, were you glad an unknown former WR was stepping in to take his place?

Its football, injuries happen and some get the chance of their life to make an impression.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1zhsekbh said:
Sgt. Largent":1zhsekbh said:
Hawk_Nation":1zhsekbh said:

Who knows... When Trufant went down, were you glad an unknown former WR was stepping in to take his place?

Its football, injuries happen and some get the chance of their life to make an impression.

This team is nowhere near the same team as it was when Pete took over and churned over 75% of the roster giving all those rookies a chance. It's a veteran group with names we're all familiar with.

Unless you're talking about Nieko Thorpe, who's already been in the league for four years, we know who's stepping in for Sherman. Lane and now Maxwell.

So I don't know what to tell you, there are no "new name kids" even on the roster at DB. Just a couple old name men.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t0b7eej4 said:
Hawk_Nation":t0b7eej4 said:
Sgt. Largent":t0b7eej4 said:
Hawk_Nation":t0b7eej4 said:

I understand your point, but I consider myself a pretty informed armchair QB. This team is nowhere near the same team as it was when Pete took over and churned over 75% of the roster giving all those rookies a chance.

Unless you're talking about Nieko Thorpe, who's already been in the league for four years, we know who's stepping in for Sherman. Lane and now Maxwell.

So I don't know what to tell you, there are no "new name kids" even on the roster at DB. Just a couple old name men.

This isn't just a this year injury, it could very well likely spill into the beginning of next season. There will be a pick or two along with some UDFA's that will get their chance.

Its damn near impossible to fill the void of a top 2 CB and All Pro, but everyone loses a step while others shine. Sure it sucks, but its not going to be the end of the world.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2whxrass said:
Hawk_Nation":2whxrass said:

George Fant a former basketball star and current offensive lineman. :stirthepot:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Perhaps the opposing QBs will salivate at the thought of throwing at will with the leagues best CB out. This may lead to the most exciting play in football...

...the Turnover!

:229031_thewave:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":155sygkv said:
a drastically improved pass rush for one and Sherm isn't earl. Earl will be back against the Falcons. earl is far more important than Sherm in this scheme.

This reality check coming to the people that downplay Sherm's importance to everything this defense does is going to be pretty rough.

Dude literally takes away half the field by merely being in uniform.

Latest posts