Sherman injury thread (Officially Out for season)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3jk5xd4e said:
Uncle Si":3jk5xd4e said:
We lost a CB and the season is over?

If this team can’t overcome that then they werent very good to begin with. Sherman is a fantastic corner and I’m well enough aware of his impact to the team and the impact of a great corner

But he’s still a corner.. and the team should be able to adjust.

You paint this like we lost Justin Coleman or something.

If this team had any semblance of a rushing game, or an offense that could overcome the loss of the best corner in football .. sure there'd be a little more to it.

I don't think this offense can win games in a shootout on a consistent enough basis to win a championship. That's where our defense is immensely important to the overall success of this team. We saw this team without Earl Thomas last year and it was not pretty. Not sure how anyone can believe that removing the best CB from the team that removes an entire side of the field from the opposition just by being there is just another injury.

We've seen the record of this team when just Earl or Kam are out, Sherman is just as important as those guys.

Dry your eyes...

I know who Sherman is and what he brings to the team. I also know that he's a CB and not a QB. He's a CB that has been targeted by opposing QBs alot more this year than in the past. A great team can overcome the loss of a great player that is not their QB

Patriots do it all the time.

As I said.. will they? Don't know i trust the coaching staff. But it's not a "Packers lost Rodgers" certainty

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1j0c7g8t said:
Hasselbeck":1j0c7g8t said:
Uncle Si":1j0c7g8t said:

If this team can’t overcome that then they werent very good to begin with. Sherman is a fantastic corner and I’m well enough aware of his impact to the team and the impact of a great corner

If this team had any semblance of a rushing game, or an offense that could overcome the loss of the best corner in football .. sure there'd be a little more to it.

I don't think this offense can win games in a shootout on a consistent enough basis to win a championship. That's where our defense is immensely important to the overall success of this team. We saw this team without Earl Thomas last year and it was not pretty. Not sure how anyone can believe that removing the best CB from the team that removes an entire side of the field from the opposition just by being there is just another injury.

We've seen the record of this team when just Earl or Kam are out, Sherman is just as important as those guys.

Dry your eyes...

I know who Sherman is and what he brings to the team. I also know that he's a CB and not a QB. He's a CB that has been targeted by opposing QBs alot more this year than in the past. A great team can overcome the loss of a great player that is not their QB

As I said.. will they? Don't know i trust the coaching staff. But it's not a "Packers lost Rodgers" certainty

I agree and disagree at the same time. Losing a Arod or Brady or Russ, you are done title wise. Depending on the player and caliber at other spots, you can usually survive. However, last year losing earl made the season over as it showed. So earl Thomas being out led to the demise of the defense last year. Now will it be the same with Sherman? Time will tell.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Certainly agree that Sherman's injury will impact the Hawks similar to Thomas' last year. Biggest difference between those and say Wilson going down is the coaches have an opportunity to adjust the game plan to make up for their absence and still be successful.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":20x8ymjd said:
Uncle Si":20x8ymjd said:
Hasselbeck":20x8ymjd said:
Uncle Si":20x8ymjd said:

Dry your eyes...

I agree and disagree at the same time. Losing a Arod or Brady or Russ, you are done title wise. Depending on the player and caliber at other spots, you can usually survive. However, last year losing earl made the season over as it showed. So earl Thomas being out led to the demise of the defense last year. Now will it be the same with Sherman? Time will tell.

Even with Earl being out this year, we have given up 16.5 points per game in his absence, good enough keep you in if not win every game.

I know that the Skins and Cards arent top ranked offenses necessarily, but they havent fallen apart with him gone either.

Lets the give the players and coaches the opportunity to step up and compensate for his loss.

RussB

Reaction score
They are bringing maxwell in for a visit. GREAT news to me. Wouldnt hurt to look into vets like revis and cromartie either.

Hawks46

Reaction score
netskier":7h50rhh1 said:
Hawks46":7h50rhh1 said:
Sherman is such a warrior. This game actually swayed me to go buy a Sherman jersey.

He went out there, fully knowing at some point in the season that his Achilles would pop. He also played most of the year babying it and not cutting on it fully.

I missed some news I guess. How did Sherman know that "at some point in the season that his Achilles would pop."

I know this because Sherman told me this while we were having beers last night.

Ok, I'll come clean...I was having beers while watching his press conference.

But he did say it a few times. Sherman is also an intelligent dude. They knew it was an issue, they were holding him out of practice, and getting as much treatment on it as they could. Sherman said he was babying it and not cutting full strength on it since the Rams game. So he knew.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3upywxs5 said:
Certainly agree that Sherman's injury will impact the Hawks similar to Thomas' last year. Biggest difference between those and say Wilson going down is the coaches have an opportunity to adjust the game plan to make up for their absence and still be successful.

Yeah we have seen that done so well on offense, Pete is so stubborn about that philosophy thing, last time we seen a real change was the Bandit package against Chicago when he really needed to and had lost bodies. Is he going to adapt or stick his hands in his pockets and expect the same results.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Still gutted by this injury.......we face some terrific pass catches the next several weeks and losing Sherm could not come at a worse time. If we have any hope of making this season a success everyone needs to step up their game 10 fold. Players and coaches alike. Dang, I'm heartbroken about this injury. Seeing Sherm break down yestereally got to me.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawkpower":bra7l412 said:
Shanegotyou11":bra7l412 said:
Uncle Si":bra7l412 said:
Hasselbeck":bra7l412 said:

Dry your eyes...

Even with Earl being out this year, we have given up 16.5 points per game in his absence, good enough keep you in if not win every game.

I know that the Skins and Cards arent top ranked offenses necessarily, but they havent fallen apart with him gone either.

Lets the give the players and coaches the opportunity to step up and compensate for his loss.

Honestly if Stanton was a decent QB, the Cards probably have 30 points last night. Shaq was burned twice as was lane and were pretty easy throws that were misfired. Now you can only play who you play but you get the point. Earl is earl and McDougall isn't.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":28h6j5ce said:
Hawkpower":28h6j5ce said:
Shanegotyou11":28h6j5ce said:
Uncle Si":28h6j5ce said:
Dry your eyes...

Honestly if Stanton was a decent QB, the Cards probably have 30 points last night. Shaq was burned twice as was lane and were pretty easy throws that were misfired. Now you can only play who you play but you get the point. Earl is earl and McDougall isn't.

Maybe. You could also argue that with a non biased officiating crew, AZ scores very little.

Never said McDougall was Earl, just pointing out that the secondary, while limited, has been far from decimated the last two weeks in part because we found a replacement that can at least hold his own.

Let it play out.

beaumaris

Reaction score
I know I'm probably on my own here,but if he's out,he's out,no great loss.extremely over rated imo.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1g9ltnpd said:
Hasselbeck":1g9ltnpd said:
Uncle Si":1g9ltnpd said:

Dry your eyes...

And that is the problem, we are not the Pats!

beaumaris

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":q4tjjczs said:
No loss? Sarcasm??? You can't be serious. This is a massive loss to the team.
I am deadly serious,no sarcasm intended.havent bee his greatest admirer the last couple of years.
Just look at how many opposing quarter backs are throwing his way.should give you a hint of the respect
he commands now in the league.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
beaumaris":1g0krro2 said:
I know I'm probably on my own here,but if he's out,he's out,no great loss.extremely over rated imo.

I wouldn’t say your alone, I do think he’s play ya decreased a bit but he is still a very good CB. My personal opinion is we will be better off then the drop off from Earl to Terrell we faced last year

Obviously we’ve never been in this situation because sherm has been a machine for us and hasn’t missed any time so it very well end up being a terrible situation. Well just have to see but my bet is we may be able to hold it together without him for the rest of the season

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anyone thinking it's not a huge loss has got to be nuts...Losing Sherm is a huge loss, not only in the passing game but in the running game as well.

If there is one thing, I don't ever recall seeing on the .Net is a thread where we complained about Sherman. There is plenty of talk about the other CB spot, how everyone we put in sucked or should be replaced, but not one ever about Sherman, he's been steady as a rock.

OH, lets keep it in perspective here.. You might have Maxwell as his replacement.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":kzusco9n said:
Hawkpower":kzusco9n said:
Geez lots of overly dramatic doomsday posts in this thread.

I share concerns of course, but lets actually wait for the hawks to get dominated before we declare the season over, shall we?

And can we wait for Sherman to not ever return to his former self before we declare his era over?

Disappointment over losing one of our top players is understandable. Declaring seasons and eras over 12 hours later seems a bit premature

Thanks for this.

We all know Sherman is a huge loss, but geeez- give the situation a chance to play out.

I know this is the "pointy football" board, but did anybody follow that "other" Seattle football team, that plays with the round football, last year? The Sounders lost their best offensive player, Clint Dempsey, towards the end of the season, and somehow found a way to go all the way to the finals, MLS Cup, and WIN! https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016/12 ... st-mls-cup

Damned if I've ever seen anything more improbable, aside from maybe the final minutes of the NFCCG win over Green Bay starting with Jon Ryan's TD pass. Then, of course, there was NE coming back from an 87 point deficit to beat Atlanta in last year's Super Bowl.

How about the 2012-2013 Ravens, winning SB47, 10-6 record, winning 2 road playoff games, including the Mile High Miracle at Denver, on the way to beating the 49ers in SB47? Freaky things happen in this game.

Let's let them play the games, and at least try to enjoy the process while the sky falls. Give other players a chance to step up. Maybe Goff's knee gets wacked and Rams have no Austin Davis to unleash on us. Myself, I'm hoping Julio channels CJ Procise when a flight attendant sneezes as he steps out of the plane, and the breeze hits his ankle, leading him to step down wrong and sprain an ankle.