Should IR be lifted for Super Bowl?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I have no idea if this would apply anything more than the rare exception, but should the league allow IR'd players to come back for the Super Bowl (if healthy, obviously)? This isn't really an argument from a competitiveness standpoint but would be more about putting the best product on the field for the big game.

I remember several years ago Rod Woodson talking the Steelers into keeping him off IR after an early season ACL, with the thought being that he could return in time for the Super Bowl, if they made it. They did, and he did.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Along this line of thinking, the league should lift the inactive roster for the playoffs. All 53, if healthy, are eligible to play....

Seanhawk

Reaction score
blkhwk":1g53favw said:
Along this line of thinking, the league should lift the inactive roster for the playoffs. All 53, if healthy, are eligible to play....

I think the inactive designation should be lifted period. I struggle to see the point of it.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Seanhawk":18hejvrv said:
blkhwk":18hejvrv said:

I think the inactive designation should be lifted period. I struggle to see the point of it.

It is pretty simple, keeps the playing field level.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
HawkStrong":1qdb7yy9 said:
Seanhawk":1qdb7yy9 said:
blkhwk":1qdb7yy9 said:

If they are on the roster they should be eligible to play. If both teams have no inactive players the playing field is leveled.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":30d9z378 said:
HawkStrong":30d9z378 said:
Seanhawk":30d9z378 said:
blkhwk":30d9z378 said:

If they are on the roster they should be eligible to play. If both teams have no inactive players the playing field is leveled.

Injuries. It is in place to level the field for injuries. Thought that was clear, sorry.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkStrong":rernl4pv said:
oldhawkfan":rernl4pv said:
HawkStrong":rernl4pv said:
Seanhawk":rernl4pv said:

Injuries. It is in place to level the field for injuries. Thought that was clear, sorry.
The ability to let a team carry a player with a minor injury for a few weeks while he heals and not forcing them to go IR.

I'd like to see them lift the daily active roster by 1-2 players.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
My, very hazy recollection, is that the inactives came about as a change to IR rules. Also came with an expanded roster. So if you go back in time and take away the inactives, you also take the roster back to 48.