should we draft a QB next year?

Basis4day

Reaction score
northseahawk":k00wltl7 said:
love1u0":k00wltl7 said:
ImTheScientist":k00wltl7 said:
Lets replace the QB that took us to the last two Super Bowls.

Bingo we have a winner!

I cannot believe the hate and discontent some of you are showing for Wilson. This guy helped us win a fricken super bowl. When was the last time that happened??

Go back and watch the god damn games and watch how much time the opposing quarterbacks have in the pocket and then look at how long Wilson has. The ONLY way they are going to fix this team is if they replace the whole offensive line.
Of course Wilson makes mistakes...probably getting a bit gun shy from getting sacked and hurried every game.

I completely agree that Wilson doesnt get enough time to function right and his OC sucks but being paid as top QB and declared as an "elite" he needs to be able to read, adapt and make changes at the line to neutralize that pass rush. He needs to be able to take some control over the offense. It's his 5th year and he is still acting like he is a rookie. I haven't seen any worthy changes from his 1st game till this day.

Look at Brady or any of the other actual elite qbs, if he gets sacked once he completely changes the game and toys with the defense if they dare to blitz again. Don't tell me his olineman are that much better. They are rotating every year and no names on his offense. The defenses against us are doing the same thing over and over and he still doesn't get. He has a clever mouth other than that he is no different than Kaepernk.

so please stop with this nonsense that Wilson's horrible play is due to other aspects of the offense. He is not elite he is just a fraud who jacked us for that contract. His is ok, a great game manager who could get us wins if everyone is playing at elite level.

Brady is arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game. And you expect Wilson to play like him in year 4?

That is as absurd as people complaining about the O-Line not being as good as when Walter Jones played. Jones is arguably the best LT of all time.

redhawk253

Reaction score
Lmao? Is this a serious post? How about draft an o line and let our stud qb do some work without having to run for his life after 1 second

scutterhawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":24ri1e70 said:
I completely agree that Wilson doesnt get enough time to function right and his OC sucks but being paid as top QB and declared as an "elite" he needs to be able to read, adapt and make changes at the line to neutralize that pass rush. He needs to be able to take some control over the offense. It's his 5th year and he is still acting like he is a rookie. I haven't seen any worthy changes from his 1st game till this day..

So tell me, do you actually believe that Wilson should be able to show progression behind an ever changing, UNTRAINED & failing Offensive Line? Yeah, me neither.
There are Defenses that are chock full of Pro-Bowl Caliber players, that were trained in Colleges across the U.S. and then further trained by NFL level Coaches, that are SMOTHERING our entry level, inept O-Line, and killing MOST of the protective continuity that ANY Quarterback needs to stay upright.
LOLOL, at your "Make Changes At The Line To Neutralize That Pass Rush" :roll: You Really said that?? LOLOLOL

mrt144

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1rupgxjn said:
northseahawk":1rupgxjn said:
I completely agree that Wilson doesnt get enough time to function right and his OC sucks but being paid as top QB and declared as an "elite" he needs to be able to read, adapt and make changes at the line to neutralize that pass rush. He needs to be able to take some control over the offense. It's his 5th year and he is still acting like he is a rookie. I haven't seen any worthy changes from his 1st game till this day..

So tell me, do you actually believe that Wilson should be able to show progression behind an ever changing, UNTRAINED & failing Offensive Line? Yeah, me neither.
There are Defenses that are chock full of Pro-Bowl Caliber players, that were trained in Colleges across the U.S. and then further trained by NFL level Coaches, that are SMOTHERING our entry level, inept O-Line, and killing MOST of the protective continuity that ANY Quarterback needs to stay upright.
LOLOL, at your "Make Changes At The Line To Neutralize That Pass Rush" :roll: You Really said that?? LOLOLOL

The idea that player improvement happens through their own 'desire' and 'gumption' really says it all. The idea that salary induces player improvement from an already high echelon to an even higher echelon is so wrong headed and yet repeated ad nauseum.

mrt144

Reaction score
Basis4day":mpoiz1bs said:
northseahawk":mpoiz1bs said:
love1u0":mpoiz1bs said:
ImTheScientist":mpoiz1bs said:
Lets replace the QB that took us to the last two Super Bowls.

Bingo we have a winner!

I cannot believe the hate and discontent some of you are showing for Wilson. This guy helped us win a fricken super bowl. When was the last time that happened??

Go back and watch the god damn games and watch how much time the opposing quarterbacks have in the pocket and then look at how long Wilson has. The ONLY way they are going to fix this team is if they replace the whole offensive line.
Of course Wilson makes mistakes...probably getting a bit gun shy from getting sacked and hurried every game.

I completely agree that Wilson doesnt get enough time to function right and his OC sucks but being paid as top QB and declared as an "elite" he needs to be able to read, adapt and make changes at the line to neutralize that pass rush. He needs to be able to take some control over the offense. It's his 5th year and he is still acting like he is a rookie. I haven't seen any worthy changes from his 1st game till this day.

Look at Brady or any of the other actual elite qbs, if he gets sacked once he completely changes the game and toys with the defense if they dare to blitz again. Don't tell me his olineman are that much better. They are rotating every year and no names on his offense. The defenses against us are doing the same thing over and over and he still doesn't get. He has a clever mouth other than that he is no different than Kaepernk.

so please stop with this nonsense that Wilson's horrible play is due to other aspects of the offense. He is not elite he is just a fraud who jacked us for that contract. His is ok, a great game manager who could get us wins if everyone is playing at elite level.

Brady is arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game. And you expect Wilson to play like him in year 4?

That is as absurd as people complaining about the O-Line not being as good as when Walter Jones played. Jones is arguably the best LT of all time.

The only thing that keeps me grounded is knowing that other fan bases are similarly clueless about how you can win Superbowls without the GOAT QB at the helm. Sure it's harder but our only Superbowl win was predicated on that and ALL 3 appearances were predicated upon that.

I don't expect 'fans' to have rational expectations to player talent and once in a lifetime players though. A lot of them think they grow on trees and the greatness is inherent from day one - that's simply not the case. Time, coaching, investment, all help a player make the most of their talents.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":2eygf1wg said:
Seattle needs to draft a center and O line men in 2016. With the right protection, Wilson will get the extra 3 to 5 seconds he needs for the WRs/TEs to run their routes and get open so he can make pass completions. The 2015 disintegrating O-line is forcing Wilson to scramble for his life, throw early and make mistakes.

Paul Allen has to seriously consider firing Bevil and Tom Cable after this season. Bevil's play calling is illogical and has cost the hawks games this year. Cable thinking he can create an NFL professional O line from former defensive players has proven to be an insane idea that has failed miserably.
You are wrong about Bevell. And you contradict yourself. The same O-line problems that don't give Russ enough time to complete a pass also mucks up the play Bevell has called. You can't have one without the other.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wow, the fan train sure went off it's tracks this thread, lol.

Should we draft a QB? Absolutely. I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd rounder on one, as we have bigger needs. But we could develop a guy that can beat out TJack, or get good enough to push Wilson in a couple of years. That way, if this is Russ's ceiling, we might have a cheaper replacement that comes up. Does this need to happen now ? No, but Pete and John are always looking for the future.

If the guy pans out, but Wilson ends up being too good to replace, then you flip him for draft picks, like GB used to do every year.

A big misconception here: Wilson did NOT "take us to a Superbowl". He contributed a ton, and did win a couple of games for us, but if anyone thinks Wilson takes this team to a SB with an average to decent defense, they're completely delusional. Wilson is showing that he's good, and can take over games in stretches but he's not carrying a team yet.

Simple exercise: take this team's defense now, and add our OL from 2 years ago. I honestly don't see us winning a SB with that. Hell, we couldn't win a SB with a defense playing much better last year than it has this year. This year, we're 4-5. And no, it's not all Wilson's fault, but he sure contributes to the issues. Common theme anyone ?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Absolutely. The Pats draft QBs every couple of years. You never know what is going to happen down the road. Further, its not impossible to think they could find a better QB than Wilson, given his massive regression this year.

mrt144

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3w3682t4 said:
Absolutely. The Pats draft QBs every couple of years. You never know what is going to happen down the road. Further, its not impossible to think they could find a better QB than Wilson, given his massive regression this year.

'Massive'

:lol:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":1y586qrk said:
A big misconception here: Wilson did NOT "take us to a Superbowl". He contributed a ton, and did win a couple of games for us, but if anyone thinks Wilson takes this team to a SB with an average to decent defense, they're completely delusional. Wilson is showing that he's good, and can take over games in stretches but he's not carrying a team yet.

Simple exercise: take this team's defense now, and add our OL from 2 years ago. I honestly don't see us winning a SB with that. Hell, we couldn't win a SB with a defense playing much better last year than it has this year. This year, we're 4-5. And no, it's not all Wilson's fault, but he sure contributes to the issues. Common theme anyone ?
An even bigger misconception, is actually believing that Russell Wilson's play didn't play a big part in getting the Seahawks into the winners circle.

You "Simple Exercise" is also full of holes....the Offense of 2 Years ago, had way more success in giving the THEN Defense more time to re-generate on the sidelines, while the NOW O-Line is but a shadow of efficiency of the 2012 O-Line.
The THEN Offense was way better at getting the Running game some pretty impressive stats, AND although Russell Wilson was often chased out of the pocket, the overall protection for RW is night & day different between the then & now Seahawks O-Line.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2q6kd9ey said:
SoulfishHawk":2q6kd9ey said:
Or we could draft ACTUAL OFFENSIVE LINEMAN in the draft, and not just in the late rounds.
Imagine that :roll:
You're making a huge assumption, that some of these jokers have an 'imagination'.

To the GOOFY notion of canning Wilson, and bringing in Callin' Kaeper-nicknack-pattywhack?...Who do you have in mind to do the RE-Training?, :roll: BEVELL? :roll: , AND, on top of that, where are you going to get the money to do all this whimsical BLUNDERING?

I love Pete Carroll, BUT, this is HIS mess up, he bought into the simplistic notion, that your Offensive Linemen can be any athletic big body that you can throw in there, and expect to see them become NFL Pro Caliber players... Sorry boys, it just doesn't always work like that, and most of our opposing Defensive Coordinators have proven it a flawed concept.
All that he and Tom Cable have managed to accomplish this Season, is field all their mistakes onto Russell Wilson to deal with...He's not Houdini. :141847_bnono:
No one suggested canning Wilson for Kaep. I said I would have liked to see a PRE-broken Kaep (meaning we DRAFTED HIM) but unfortunately he's probably broken for good.

If you can "read" my post and interpret that as "fire wilson and hire Kaep" then your inability to read simple English makes you look GOOFY.

Learn to read before you try to respond.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yes, we absolutely should draft developmental QBs to back up and compete with Russell.
John Elway had Gary Kubiak for a lot of his years as a player. Kubiak shredded the Hawks when he had to step in and play.

We absolutely should be looking for our Kirk Cousins or Gary Kubiak in every draft. Kirk Cousins is a poster child for a type of QB we would be looking for to develop. He was a 4th rounder, maybe a little higher, but when the opportunity presents itself... With a broken-down and simply broken RGIII, Cousins has developed enough to be a way better NFL QB and has his team at the same record as Russell's Seahawks. The key thing about Cousins, as well as Wilson, was the leadership and the QB intelligence qualities. Dave Krieg and Jon Kitna became a legit NFL QBs after developmental periods, as witnessed by Kitna starting for other teams.

Sure, Russell's the guy for the next 10 years or so, we hope, but we need a high-quality backup, and having Russell mentor our other QBs, hopefully smart ones, makes Russell a better QB as well.

It makes no sense to think of it as a lack of commitment to Russell. Wrong mental model. QBs get injured regularly. Always compete, but, part of Pete's program is having lots of player-coaches on the team, who are on board with his program and have shown capabilities for mentoring others. Those are the guys he considers "core" guys, and those are the guys who got paid. Russell is one of those guys, and part of that paycheck includes his responsibility to help develop and mentor backups and eventual successors.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I don't think Wilson needs a replacement, he just need to be coached. It is normal for players to regress or have a bad season. I think he needs more coaching and game planning to his strengths, otherwise everything we have invested in QB money is not put well on use. A great coach can teach with reading the defenses, making the right calls and making the adjustments every play depending on how teams play us. I think somebody needs to spend more time with him and get him out of his not able to throw on anticipation reads.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Considering there are 18 QBs making more money this year (Cap hit), tell me again how his pay is affecting the team. Or you think QBs should be paid less than a million for the team to succeed.

People keep referencing his huge contract, while ignoring that it was merged with his rookie contract and as such is less impactful than people imply.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":28blsoi8 said:
If you can "read" my post and interpret that as "fire wilson and hire Kaep" then your inability to read simple English makes you look GOOFY.

Learn to read before you try to respond.

No, I recognize GOOFY when I read it.

Kaepernick has been making bad decisions in games right from the get-go, his Offensive Linemen were top drawer players, that had actually played Offense when they were Drafted and on top of all that he had a REAL Quarterback Coach >Harbaugh< as his mentor.
Kaepernick?, was who I wanted the Seahawks to Draft, but now in retrospect, I'm glad we didn't, because I just don't believe he's put enough serious time in perfecting his craft.
There's more than one reason that he's been benched, and it has nothing to do with being "Broken".
His few inches of height difference over Russell Wilson and even Drew Breese, does not ensure success.
AND I believe Russell Wilson is still the better Quarterback....Could you imagine Kaep playing behind the Seahawks OffenSIEVE Line?

mrt144

Reaction score
lobohawk":p65djfjz said:
Considering there are 18 QBs making more money this year (Cap hit), tell me again how his pay is affecting the team. Or you think QBs should be paid less than a million for the team to succeed.

People keep referencing his huge contract, while ignoring that it was merged with his rookie contract and as such is less impactful than people imply.

Any Seahawks QB should be happy to play for free and be rewarded with congratulatory posts on the internet. Anything else is pure greed.

:sarcasm_off:

Yeah, the cap hit doesn't explain why the wheels are falling off the wagon right now.