Should we release John Schneider?

original poster

Reaction score
I just hope we have a blue chip or two sitting on the roster that we’re not aware of yet.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
original poster":3eev3ybm said:
I just hope we have a blue chip or two sitting on the roster that we’re not aware of yet.

I don't see many blue chips (which is the point of your comment, I know), but I'm still high on Nazair Jones, Jordan Roos, Dion Jordan, Deandre Elliott, and even the much-maligned C.J. Prosise.

Edit- Forgot Tedric Thomson

adeltaY

Reaction score
Honestly, a healthy CJ Prosise is blue chip IMO. I know many here are down on Delano Hill and I have zero knowledge of his game, but they spent a third rounder on him so I'm hoping for him to develop nicely.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MO Hawk":3ds11szd said:
He is certanly not performing well.

NO cap space tis year, few draft picks, bad business move with Cam and Lacy, poor overall drafts the past 3 years. Add to that we lose Bennett with very little in return and get nothing for Sherman, not even a comp pick. We woudn't have been in such a bind with Sherman if we didn't have such a mess in the cap. Kind of reminds me of Ruskell losing Hutch. Time will tell.

Lately, I'm not impressed.
The real question is "should we release Pete Carroll?". He holds the real power in the FO, not Schneider. Schneider, unlike most GM's, has to answer to Pete Carroll, and Carroll has to approve everything before Schneider makes a move. Lately, Carroll and Schneider really have seemed underwhelming.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":4pkdzxqa said:
You can't blame Schneider for Kam getting hurt and if you don't know his name starts with a K you should just stop posting for a little bit.

Sorry about that, fixed it to a K. My point on Kam was it seemed like we made a deal that was good for Kam and the locker room but a bad move for the team in hindsight from strictly a business perspective. My understanding is releasing him now would cost us , It was a great deal for Kam and his current situation.

RE all of this after FA, the draft, and the 2018 season...I look forward to being able to say, "I was totally wrong in this post."

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":27xe9rsx said:
Reading through .NET threads the past few days has been, well, how do I put this diplomatically?

Entertaining.

It's the offseaon Aros, anything is entertaining. Sigh, how many months until training camp opens?

BigMeach

Reaction score
I hope we tank this year, get rid of some crazies.

King Dog

Reaction score
peppersjap":dl9ekl0h said:
hawknation2018":dl9ekl0h said:
The Bennett trade was a true joke without a punchline.
Have you been watching the returns on trades this off season? Marcus Peters was given away, Robert Quinn went for very little as did Ogletree. I would much rather have Quinn than Bennett! I'm not sure why people think there was a huge market for Bennett considering Kaepernick can't even get a look. I would have been happy if we had gotten a Philly cheese steak for him!

Good point. Schneider is the only one that gets fleeced for high draft picks in trades lol

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think they’re aware of the poor drafting the past few seasons. Seems to be something they’ve mentioned having to do a better job of lately. This is all a prequel to 2019 where I bet they’ll try to get a lot of picks with huge salary cap flexibility. I’m hopeful we see some roster churn this offseason similar to the early years, bring in failed but intriguing players and see what niche they can fill or try to help them reach their potential. It’s tough to fill holes on a roster with so many superstars, injuries and complacency finally caught up to them.

CPHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1ix8bacz said:
MO Hawk":1ix8bacz said:
He is certanly not performing well.

NO cap space tis year, few draft picks, bad business move with Cam and Lacy, poor overall drafts the past 3 years. Add to that we lose Bennett with very little in return and get nothing for Sherman, not even a comp pick. We woudn't have been in such a bind with Sherman if we didn't have such a mess in the cap. Kind of reminds me of Ruskell losing Hutch. Time will tell.

Lately, I'm not impressed.

No cap space? As of yesterday they now have about 25 million.
Few draft picks? They have 8 in a 7 round draft.
Poor overall drafts past 3 years? Maybe. 2017 could end up pretty good.

It’s early March. FA hasn’t started. The draft is still 6 weeks away. The roster as it stands now will look vastly different come the end of August. You are exactly right about one thing...time will tell.

A quality draft yields 2 eventual starters, we got at least 3 from last draft and who knows what we have in McDowell. I do agree we had 1-2 bad drafts, but last year wasn't one of those.

Also the direction the D was headed last year was down not up, they we rent dominant any more. It was time to cut bait and retool. I just hope we keep ET3, and manage to get Richardson back. Draft a Safety to take Kams spot, and sign a OLB in FA. That spot has been a revolving door since Bruce left. I'd also like to see us draft 1-2 DL, and last 2 OL in FA. We can't waste anymore picks on the OL, get a couple of proven guys.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I'm not happy with three of the first four picks in the last draft.

Malik McDowell had a bad reputation, and he has lived up to it. On the field, he was a raw product who takes off plays. But will we ever see him on the field?

Ethan Pocic had a horrible year, much worse than Ifedi, Carpenter, or Britt's rookie seasons. They could have drafted Ryan Ramczyk, but instead they kept trading down and ended up with McDowell and Pocic.

Delano Hill will end up being one of the worst draft choices of the last five seasons. He looked horrible in coverage and mediocre in run fits. God help us if he starts this year.

Amara Darboh looks a lot like Kevin Norwood, which isn't great.

Michael Tyson and Justin Senior were very strange picks. Both had horrible tape.

On the plus side, everyone loved the Shaquill Griffin and Nazair Jones picks when they were made. I'm still very bullish on Tedric Thompson's coverage skills and playmaking abilities.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
As long as Pete is running the show, I don't see the point in giving up on Schneider. If we still suck in 2019 the discussion needs to include Pete, imo.

For me the main question right now is how far out is an effective run game? Hopefully growth is shown this year, but my expectations are not high. By 2019, it better be clicking.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I truly believe the cancer of the organization is gone. I used to think that they just weren't drafting the right guys when every single offensive lineman they brought in or drafted look like trash. But when Duane Brown, a perennial Pro Bowl caliber player for 10 years in the NFL, got noticeably worse the longer he was around Tom Cable, that cemented my thinking that he was the problem.

Bevell was frustrating at times, sure, but it's hard to game plan when every play has the potential of getting blown up like someone guessed the same button combination as you in Tecmo Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Bevell is gone too because I do think he was playing Tecmo Bowl (4 plays to choose from) instead of Super Tecmo Bowl (8 plays to choose from).

I think with some new eyes on the offensive line, the players we currently have will get a fresh start (and some actual coaching), and a lot of the other facets of the game will fall in line and be noticeably improved. An improved offensive line will lead to more points and not require the same defense we have grown accustomed to.

All that being said, I don't blame Cable or Bevell for Eddie Lacy. I still can't believe Pete and John brought that guy in.

hawkman

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2ro4nsmq said:
hawknation2018":2ro4nsmq said:

How? Why? They got him off the books, who cares what we got in return. We could've cut him and not got anything back. He's an aging vet with a lingering foot issue, and he wasn't nearly as impactful last season as in the past.

Well said. We never were going to get much for him. The fact he is gone is the important thing.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
hawkman":15o1wfix said:
Jerhawk":15o1wfix said:
hawknation2018":15o1wfix said:

How? Why? They got him off the books, who cares what we got in return. We could've cut him and not got anything back. He's an aging vet with a lingering foot issue, and he wasn't nearly as impactful last season as in the past.

Well said. We never were going to get much for him. The fact he is gone is the important thing.

Yeah . . . very important that we lose a team leader and one of the top pass rushers in the NFL.

Per the NFL's "Next Gen" stats, Bennett was seventh in the NFL with 80 "disruptions" in 2017.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia- ... -115964252

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Schneider and Pete have “lost a step” IMHO. They need to NAIL this draft and then take advantage of the HUGE cap space in 2019 and wisely spend it unlike what they have been doing recently. Their “XLVIII free pass” is all used up now IMHO, and now it’s time to “step it up”.

strohmin

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2cx8m8qu said:
Schneider and Pete have “lost a step” IMHO. They need to NAIL this draft and then take advantage of the HUGE cap space in 2019 and wisely spend it unlike what they have been doing recently. Their “XLVIII free pass” is all used up now IMHO, and now it’s time to “step it up”.

Their XLVIII free pass was used up the minute that stupid decision was made to throw the ball.

AgentDib

Reaction score
hawknation2018":gxwhu3i1 said:
Yeah . . . very important that we lose a team leader and one of the top pass rushers in the NFL.
I'm with you on Bennett's on field production vs. salary, but clearly the issue is they didn't want him leading the team. One thing that Pete has done very well overall is managing the locker room, and commentating from the outside on locker room issues in general is nearly always groundless. Maybe Russ will have a ghost written autobiography after he retires.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
WOW, I didn't know that as Seahawks fans all these years that - WE - had the power to release anyone, much less the Seahawks GM & number 3 in command on the team (behind Allen & PC). I have to wonder if Paul Allen knows about this ability that - WE - have to control HIS team? IF, every fan had his way and could really release players (not to mention adding players), there wouldn't be a functional team anymore, because.........what the heck do - WE - know about running a successful NFL team???? Some posters here seem to have an empty glass as opposed to a glass half empty or full.
:smilingalien:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3uiigkkq said:
WOW, I didn't know that as Seahawks fans all these years that - WE - had the power to release anyone, much less the Seahawks GM & number 3 in command on the team (behind Allen & PC). I have to wonder if Paul Allen knows about this ability that - WE - have to control HIS team? IF, every fan had his way and could really release players (not to mention adding players), there wouldn't be a functional team anymore, because.........what the heck do - WE - know about running a successful NFL team???? Some posters here seem to have an empty glass as opposed to a glass half empty or full.
:smilingalien:

We are 12s.

:2thumbs: