Should we release John Schneider?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1s82l51h said:
WOW, I didn't know that as Seahawks fans all these years that - WE - had the power to release anyone, much less the Seahawks GM & number 3 in command on the team (behind Allen & PC). I have to wonder if Paul Allen knows about this ability that - WE - have to control HIS team? IF, every fan had his way and could really release players (not to mention adding players), there wouldn't be a functional team anymore, because.........what the heck do - WE - know about running a successful NFL team???? Some posters here seem to have an empty glass as opposed to a glass half empty or full.
:smilingalien:
It’s a fan forum. This is a place for opinions and topics of our beloved team, the good, the bad, or the ugly.
No part of this team should be above criticism when they underperform, and they should be praised when they do well.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but he hasn't had what would be considered even a good draft since 2012. So we let 2017 play out, but if you take '13 through '16, it's maybe two average drafts and two poor ones. Is that an exaggeration? I don't have every draft memorized in my head. Whatever magic he and Carroll had in the early 2010s seems to be gone.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
And now this:

The report of three years, $39 million for Richard Sherman may be “a mirage”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -a-mirage/

Did we get Hutched? I think Seattle would have matched this if this article is correct? Sherman could have given us a first right of refusal? SF get's him based on performance, we didn't get that option.

We could have held on to him longer, but we were nice to him and look what it got us?

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3oaidnca said:
WOW, I didn't know that as Seahawks fans all these years that - WE - had the power to release anyone, much less the Seahawks GM & number 3 in command on the team (behind Allen & PC). I have to wonder if Paul Allen knows about this ability that - WE - have to control HIS team? IF, every fan had his way and could really release players (not to mention adding players), there wouldn't be a functional team anymore, because.........what the heck do - WE - know about running a successful NFL team???? Some posters here seem to have an empty glass as opposed to a glass half empty or full.

I think the fans have a tremendous amount of power and say so if played correctly. The truth is that the NFL is in the "Entertainment" profession, and when fans aren't entertained they take their money elsewhere. I have no problem being a "glass half empty" person after this past season. I hope to soon be a "glass is all full person" this next Season. I sincerely ope all the changes produce positive results. I also wonder how much Paul Allan is behind these changes and what his thoughts are over the past 4 months? Would be interesting to know.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm sorry but it is absolutely ridiculous to think we should get rid of JS. This team has been stacked for years and there haven't been a ton of spots TO fill. We have released and lost good players over the years because we just didn't have the room.

You are talking about the same FO (obviously it's never the EXACT same but still) that churned over a horrible roster in just a couple years into a team that went to back to back Superbowls, winning one and being a boneheaded play away from a second. Not to mention an FO that has gotten us to the playoffs nearly ever year it's been in charge.

Even the trades that you could argue weren't good are all hindsight, that at the time looked like great moves. One can't predict the future of a player getting hurt or a player just not fitting quite right EVERY time.

To think we should get rid of JS in the hopes that we find someone better miraculously? I'm sorry but you're insane.

BigMeach

Reaction score
MO Hawk":31ly30tc said:
CamanoIslandJQ":31ly30tc said:

I think the fans have a tremendous amount of power and say so if played correctly. The truth is that the NFL is in the "Entertainment" profession, and when fans aren't entertained they take their money elsewhere. I have no problem being a "glass half empty" person after this past season. I hope to soon be a "glass is all full person" this next Season. I sincerely ope all the changes produce positive results. I also wonder how much Paul Allan is behind these changes and what his thoughts are over the past 4 months? Would be interesting to know.

Paul Allen is smarter than you or I will ever be. He is smart enough to hire good people that he trusts and knows not to meddle with their decisions. I doubt Paull Allen has had any input into what players are being released/traded/picked up/etc.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm very interested to see how the Seahawks will fare now that Cable's gone. I always got the impression that he made the draft picks on the O line and the results there weren't great, to say the least. Maybe Schneider could have adapted differently but his plan seemed to rely on the likes of Ifedi, Britt, Odhiambo, Pocic etc performing a lot better than they actually did.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He needs to draft better and stop overpaying in trades. I would consider moving on if this draft doesn’t look good. Fact is the drafting has been poor for 3 years running. That is his most important job and he is underperforming

Fade

Reaction score
JS is not the problem. His track record with personnel with previous orgs is impeccible.

It's 1 of 2 things.

1. Pete Carroll: He once had major incite on the first 3 drafts due to being at SC for 10 yrs. That faded over the years.

Pete Carroll is the show. He doesn't just have final say on personnel, he is heavily involved in the process of all draft picks, trades, and free agency.

2. Cable with a Sprinkle of Bevell were black holes that wrecked nearly all of the Off. Player draft picks from dev.

Just look at Seattle's young core on D, they at least actually have a young core. The O is so bad they have next to nothing on that side of the ball.

The 2 studs they have on offense are RW -JS wanted him bad. ADB -JS wrote him a personal letter (he wanted him bad.)

JS is not the problem.

Either the problem has been fixed (Cable & Bevell). Or Pete is the problem.

Without Cable & Bevell in the way we will be able to better answer that in about 9 months.

What I will be looking for is actual development & progression on offense. The Defense will be fine, Pete knows what he is doing on that side of the ball.

If it is the same song & dance. Slow starts on Offense. Vanilla playbook/ Lack of scheming. The Offense isn't allowed to play until the 4th qtr, etc. Bye Bye Petey.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MO Hawk":45q5nfe5 said:
CamanoIslandJQ":45q5nfe5 said:

When have fans ever demonstrated any power to effect change? We are consumers. The only change is supply to our demand.

I do wonder as well what Paul Allen thinks of all this and if he’s pushing a sense of urgency.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1amu7xfs said:
MO Hawk":1amu7xfs said:
CamanoIslandJQ":1amu7xfs said:

When have fans ever demonstrated any power to effect change? We are consumers. The only change is supply to our demand.

I do wonder as well what Paul Allen thinks of all this and if he’s pushing a sense of urgency.

Tim Ruskell and Mike Holmgren, booing at games and blowing up the radio, Ken Behring we raised a clamor and the Governor stepped in and then Paul, Paul is very aware of what the fan base thinks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
My eyes hurt from rolling back so far. My goodness this fan base has become a bunch of whining spoiled babies. :lol:

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Lets release the greatest GM we've ever had.

We should just let Behring buy this team back, I think that'll make us competitive again.

mrblitz

Reaction score
well, without bevell whispering in pete's ear 'pick up every player i ever coached on minnesota and recycle them', and cable going, 'yeah man pick up lacey', maybe pete and john will have more sense going forward. we can only hope that that's how it went down, that bevell and cable were giving the front office a lot of bad advice. it might actually brighten the future a bit that those two are gone.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
I started a similar thread a few months ago and I got virtually e-dilapidated...
OK, JS was the great in 2010-2012 but, honestly, how would you grade JS's 2013-2017 years (drafts, free agency, trades, resignings...)? My opinion: C-,D+
But, yes, he got our first SB so ... everything's fine ...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t think JS or PC should he released/fired yet....

I think they’ve been bad of late with some of the signings, releasings, FA pickups, drafting, and hanging on to the dead weight on the offensive coaching staff for far too long, but they finally took care of the last one so I’ll give them credit for it.

The league has caught up with them, and at times IMHO they’ve outsmarted themselves.

They need to NAIL this upcoming draft and next years too. They need to be smart with signings and extensions and spend wisely so you are not in cap hell for any extent of time.

I think the next 24 months will determine how long JS sand PC are here.