SI: How the Broncos and Seahawks Negotiated the Wilson Trade

Rat

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/14/mmqb- ... reddit.com

Very interesting piece that gives a lot of details on the timing of this deal. Apparently, Russ' no-trade clause was a compromise after Schneider refused a request for a no-tag provision. Schneider probably did the right thing with that. Giving into a no-tag could have created a bidding war that would have netted us a better return, but would have also increased the chances of Russ just walking away entirely at the end of his deal.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":2qtbsuos said:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/14/mmqb-russell-wilson-trade-negotiations-tom-brady-unretires?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com

Very interesting piece that gives a lot of details on the timing of this deal. Apparently, Russ' no-trade clause a compromise after Schneider refused a request for a no-tag provision. Schneider probably did the right thing with that. Giving into a no-tag could have created a bidding war that would have netted us a better return, but would have also increased the chances of Russ just walking away entirely at the end of his deal.

I actually agree it was well written. It kind of makes it easy to understand both sides and realize it was not one side or the other was wrong or did wrong it was just the situation. Also, makes you realize the media may have played a part in exasperating things. Of course, I am trying to be kind to all sides in an attempt to move so I am going with the narrative I state above.

Time to move on get a long-term QB answer and see what happens.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Wow, there are a lot of new details in this article. This is some good stuff, thanks for posting.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I will back Russ on his frustration after that Dallas playoff game. I think we all felt it.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Pete wasn't going to change. Russ no longer believed in Pete.

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3uiusqy2 said:
I will back Russ on his frustration after that Dallas playoff game. I think we all felt it.

I ask the question here after the Dallas game. If the Seahawks wanted to play Pete-Ball why pay for a QB? I did not say Russ could not play, just why pay for a QB like him if you were not going to make him the focal point of the team.

Jville

Reaction score
Nicely detailed article that reflects well on everyone.

Well done!

acer1240

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1sktqnk8 said:
Good read! Seems it was best for all parties to go their separate ways.

I saw the same thing.

I never cared for the midget, but cannot deny how much he meant to the organization and city.

Curious if Paul would have approved this trade though.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
acer1240":2zk8lw2u said:
Cyrus12":2zk8lw2u said:
Good read! Seems it was best for all parties to go their separate ways.

I saw the same thing.

I never cared for the midget, but cannot deny how much he meant to the organization and city.

Curious if Paul would have approved this trade though.
I wonder as well...would he of fired Pete instead??

acer1240

Reaction score
Doubt it. I'm guessing JS would have eaten that sammich.

Say what you will about Pete, but you have to admit he is magnetic.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
acer1240":bvh0jb3j said:

Things were a lot better with Paul Allen. I dont think the issues the last 2 years are there if he was still around.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2ncy7eng said:
acer1240":2ncy7eng said:

Things were a lot better with Paul Allen. I dont think the issues the last 2 years are there if he was still around.

Why? This has been building for a long time.

It was time to do this. RW legs were one of his major strengths. Those are in big time decline. The team had the 4th the best roster in their division. They had no picks and no money, this was the only way to rectify that. otherwise you just keep treading water like Seattle has done for 7 years.

Move on.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Reading this kind made me wonder: Could you guys imagine Wilson returning to the Seahawks after two years in Denver, while Seahawks use their low draft position and their acquired picks the next 2-3 years to rebuild the team inside-out again giving the Seahawks a more competitive roster while the rest of the NFC West will start to see age and attrition weather their teams down??

Even more insane if Carroll simultaneously retires when Russ comes back or they give one last shot together and win a Super Bowl.

Then cash in on movie rights.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Smellyman":3gd4y53f said:
Cyrus12":3gd4y53f said:
acer1240":3gd4y53f said:

Why? This has been building for a long time.

It was time to do this. RW legs were one of his major strengths. Those are in big time decline. The team had the 4th the best roster in their division. They had no picks and no money, this was the only way to rectify that. otherwise you just keep treading water like Seattle has done for 7 years.

Move on.
Well maybe he doesn't let it drag on for 2 years. It was a major distraction for the team and the new owner not being involved was not good. Not saying it wasn't time for a trade but it could of been handled better leading up to it...